Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times

Advertisements

Demographics of the US Military:

Quote:
The data shows the force is more educated than the population at large.
Quote:
On the socioeconomic side, the military is strongly middle class
Quote:
Other trends are that the number of recruits from wealthier families is increasing, and the number of recruits from suburban areas has increased. This also tracks that young men and women from the middle class are serving in the military.
Young men and women from urban areas are not volunteering, Gilroy said. In fact, urban areas provide far fewer recruits as a percentage of the total population than small towns and rural areas.
Demographics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:30 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Like any business who is looking to recruit, it only makes sense to appeal to the type of people who are more apt to join.

It's about marketing and your target market.

It's certainly not rocket science to grasp why they'd choose NASCAR.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Thank you, but reposting quotes from the article doesn't disprove my point that the guy was a dufus for making a life changing decision based on what he saw on a freakin' race car. Give me a break. There are less expensive ways to plant the idea. I see Navy recruiters at schools and events all the time. Often times high school and college students receive mail from the military. We know it exists and will seriously contemplate the thought of joining.

The government is broke and now is the time to cut and slash the budget. Let's not be so partisan and oppose a reasonable amendment to cut spending just because a Democrat proposed it. The Navy will be fine without the advertising. Here's another thought: end the pointless wars and policing the world and there won't be such a dire need for recruitment.
I think the dufus comment might be directed to the wrong person.

Do you ahve any idea how marketing and advertising works?

The young man had not decided what to do with his life. He saw the car sponsored by the Navy and it put an idea in his head. So he went to the recruiting station to check it out and talked to the recruiter. The reruiter convinced him to join the Navy.

He DID NOT just join because he saw a car with Navy on it as you surmise. So he is not a dufas.

Without that car this young man may never had thought of the militrary as an option. That car put the idea into his head.

The same as any TV ad. You see product A being advertised and when you are in the store shopping you see product and your mind remembers it.

They have all said they are getting a better bang for the buuck than with any other kind of advertising.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No it is NOT a moot point, the right says everything needs to be cut, that is everything they are against, the NASCAR issue is going to come back and haunt them many times over since it such an obvious piece of Hypocracy.
Casper
Well, it is a moot point with regard to this specific amendment.
But, I do agree with you - it will stand as yet another concrete example of their using the military to protect their own interests and those of their constituents.

As for the hypocrisy, you know and I both know that the new Congress has decided that fighting the culture wars is more important than dealing with unemployment. To that end, NASCAR is good while Women's Health is bad. Rah Rah.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How much do they give to themselves thru pay raises, benefits, coddling by lobbyists, etc.?
burdell, these days I find myself liking your outlook on things more and more.

I agree. Both Democrats and Republicans do exactly what you said above.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:21 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I agree,the military does not need any advertising. Think about it what kind of choices do our young people have ? Lets see, they can further their education,take a crap job in the service industry,or join the military.
Even with us occupying 2 countries I talk to young people that will take that chance and join the military.
Of course, I try to talk them out of it because I would not let myself get a paper cut fighting for others freedom when our freedoms are in jeopardy.
It is funny how so called conservatives talk about cutting wasteful spending, any brain dead 18 year old can find a recruiting office if that is what they wanted to do.
Are you equating our military members or those who wish to join as "brain dead?" FWIW, the military doesn't just take any Jane, Dick, or Harry; they are pretty selective these days.

Disagree with the politics of these wars as much as you want (I often do - I don't think we should have invaded Iraq), but I think the young men and women serving today in our armed forces are top-notch and deserve more respect than that.

And there are a plethora of fine liberals on this forum that will agree with this conservative.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
$7 million is chump change at the federal level.

how much did Democrats and Republicans give to the banks?
Huh! That's about twice as much as they give NPR, yet all the RWs on here were talking about how a drop in the bucket can eventually fill the ocean, etc, when it came to NPRs funding.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I say NO on this idea to cut Army's funding of advertising via the NASCAR venue ...because I've some skin in the game....

The amount spent is trivial, keep it funded. Great advertising....

Back in Sep 99, I took a job with HQ Army, G6. My first assignment was to answer a memo back to the Army leadership about how to improve the Army. I told them several things, such as:

- Get their name on a race car in the NASCAR circuits as that is where the young guys are watching, that the Army draws a lot of its recruits from the southeastern states and that those states are a huge NASCAR demographic.

I don't know if my suggestions had anything to do with those changes, but I'd like to think that at least I planted a seed....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
I sure saw a lot of that Army car in today's NASCAR race. I would have to say I saw it no less than 20 times and probably a lot more. That is effective advertising! (Not that I am going to join the military.)

Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Are you equating our military members or those who wish to join as "brain dead?" FWIW, the military doesn't just take any Jane, Dick, or Harry; they are pretty selective these days.
Take a look at post 59 where I explained my position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies