U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 AM
 
29,215 posts, read 52,024,980 times
Reputation: 21643

Advertisements

Obviously Democrats are serious about cutting federal spending. Why else would they propose an amendment to forbid the Pentagon from spending money sponsoring NASCAR?

Democrats Want Pentagon to Cut Ties To….NASCAR?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2011, 01:20 AM
 
11,531 posts, read 9,670,936 times
Reputation: 3580
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Obviously Democrats are serious about cutting federal spending. Why else would they propose an amendment to forbid the Pentagon from spending money sponsoring NASCAR? Last year the Army spent a whopping $7 million on a NASCAR sponsorship.

Democrats Want Pentagon to Cut Ties To….NASCAR?
So now Republicans are claiming that $7 million bucks is chump change.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 AM
 
29,984 posts, read 40,649,014 times
Reputation: 12803
Lessee.......how much were ads for the superbowl? $3million/30 seconds.

How many people watch NASCAR that either do serve or will serve in the US Army? Which is the better return on investment?

You figure it out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,076 posts, read 19,280,753 times
Reputation: 7760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Lessee.......how much were ads for the superbowl? $3million/30 seconds.

How many people watch NASCAR that either do serve or will serve in the US Army? Which is the better return on investment?

You figure it out!

But, recruiters aren't interested in reaching old Veteran's or current members of the Armed Forces, so it seems wasted money to me. It's like preaching to the choir.

And, besides, if NASCAR fans are so pro-military, prospective recruits should already know about the services from family members.

How about we spend what little money DOD has for recruiting wisely and target those who haven't served, rather than those who have?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
36,262 posts, read 23,625,969 times
Reputation: 11145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
But, recruiters aren't interested in reaching old Veteran's or current members of the Armed Forces, so it seems wasted money to me. It's like preaching to the choir.

And, besides, if NASCAR fans are so pro-military, prospective recruits should already know about the services from family members.

How about we spend what little money DOD has for recruiting wisely and target those who haven't served, rather than those who have?


How about UC Berkley?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
36,537 posts, read 37,532,803 times
Reputation: 57382
I could go along with this. They just don't want them to sponsor a car, right? Is it cheaper to advertise on TV during a race?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 28,790,870 times
Reputation: 14658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So now Republicans are claiming that $7 million bucks is chump change.


$7 million is chump change at the federal level.

how much did Democrats and Republicans give to the banks?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 06:39 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
66,589 posts, read 48,751,821 times
Reputation: 36763
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
$7 million is chump change at the federal level.

how much did Democrats and Republicans give to the banks?
How much do they give to themselves thru pay raises, benefits, coddling by lobbyists, etc.?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,874 posts, read 22,997,561 times
Reputation: 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Lessee.......how much were ads for the superbowl? $3million/30 seconds.

How many people watch NASCAR that either do serve or will serve in the US Army? Which is the better return on investment?

You figure it out!
Ugh,

I've argued return on investment with the healthcare law, education, and loads of other things that I've been told "cost to much" by you and others.

Please. If there is one thing we don't need right now its advertising to grow the military.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2011, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Fredericktown,Ohio
7,168 posts, read 5,006,788 times
Reputation: 2920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Please. If there is one thing we don't need right now its advertising to grow the military.
I agree,the military does not need any advertising. Think about it what kind of choices do our young people have ? Lets see, they can further their education,take a crap job in the service industry,or join the military.
Even with us occupying 2 countries I talk to young people that will take that chance and join the military.
Of course, I try to talk them out of it because I would not let myself get a paper cut fighting for others freedom when our freedoms are in jeopardy.
It is funny how so called conservatives talk about cutting wasteful spending, any brain dead 18 year old can find a recruiting office if that is what they wanted to do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top