Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

I honestly don't understand the position of the conservatives on this one. They're opposed to abortion, but don't want to put the money into services that help reduce the number of them. It just doesn't make any logical sense. It's just flat out contradictory.
Yup and its these same conservatives who will do not a DAMN thing when the woman is sick, on welfare with a kid tow, and then complain that these people are sucking Welfare dry.

Damned if you do, Damne if you dont with these hypocrites

BTW, watch the hypocrisy when those same conservatives have a knocked up 14 year old. they are the first in line at the doctor's office to see about elective abortions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You are right. And further chance of ever being signed by Obama who is pro abortion.

Uh he isn't pro abortion. He is against Abortion, as provided by his religious beliefs ( he made it clear that he was against abortion)

If it doesn't pass the senate, its dead in the water.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Yup and its these same conservatives who will do not a DAMN thing when the woman is sick, on welfare with a kid tow, and then complain that these people are sucking Welfare dry.

Damned if you do, Damne if you dont with these hypocrites
If you're so concerned about it, then pay up. But don't force others to pay for someone's mistakes.

When a woman's or child's life is at risk, then it's acceptable and should be done, perhaps in a hospital. But taxpayers shouldn't be paying for something they personally perceive as murder.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
If you're so concerned about it, then pay up. But don't force others to pay for someone's mistakes.
I pay up by paying my taxes. Guess what? Once my money goes to the Govt, I could care less what its used for unless its wasted.

Funding Planned Parenthood isn't a waste. It's a center that provides needed help for women : Everything from EDUCATION, to TESTING, to IVF help, and treating of ailments including Sexually transmitted diseases. they are like a public clinic for women who could not normally afford medical care.

They are sometimes the ONLY non-judgmental clinic that a woman can go to, in a time when the last thing she needs is the rhetoric and hate from fear mongering idiots.

Quote:
When a woman's or child's life is at risk, then it's acceptable and should be done, perhaps in a hospital. But taxpayers shouldn't be paying for something they personally perceive as murder.
I don't perceive it as murder. So, I don't care what my taxes pay for. As long as that woman knows the consequences of her choice, and can be able to live with it.

You do know that most of the Planned Parenthood issues and clients are NOT there to have abortion help. They are actually needing help with other issues surrounding sex and pregnancy.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I pay up by paying my taxes. Guess what? Once my money goes to the Govt, I could care less what its used for unless its wasted.
And this attitude is a major problem when it comes government welfare vs. charity. You filed your taxes and whiped your hands clean of the issue. This detracts people from donating to charity (not you specifically). I prefer giving my money to organizations I know that are not corrupt and use their money wisely...which does not include the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus
I don't perceive it as murder. So, I don't care what my taxes pay for. As long as that woman knows the consequences of her choice, and can be able to live with it.
Me neither, but many do.

Quote:
You do know that most of the Planned Parenthood issues and clients are NOT there to have abortion help. They are actually needing help with other issues surrounding sex and pregnancy.
Well aware of it and it has been discussed here. The issue is federal funding of services which do include abortion. If they did not include abortion, then it wouldn't be a big deal. Also, only a 1/3 of their total funding is being cut. Not a small number, but donors will just have to fill the gap. Since you seem to have such strong support for them, I'm sure you'll be sending in generous donation this year.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
And this attitude is a major problem when it comes government welfare vs. charity.
Govt controlls Welfare.
Charity is by private companies, organizations and inviduals.

Quote:
You filed your taxes and whiped your hands clean of the issue.
Yes, and if my money goes to Welfare, public schools or funding the local health clinic to hand out clean needles to drug addicts, I have no say over it. Im not against it either.

I'm against waste. If a my taxes are paying a street cleaner not doing his job, then of course I'll complain to the state. That is my right to do.

Quote:
This detracts people from donating to charity (not you specifically).
Most people don't care to give to charity without being "detracted" because of just paying taxes. There are many other reasons why people don't donate to charity.

Quote:
I prefer giving my money to organizations I know that are not corrupt and use their money wisely...which does not include the government.
And are you sure that you know those corporations aren't corrupt or have employees who aren't corrupt? Have you vetted every single person who volunteers or works for that charity? How do you know that that person on the street corner asking for donations isn't pocketing 10% of every dollar donated?

Every CHARITY has its problems, even the ones I donate to. Doesn't mean that in the end, they aren't trying to do the right thing.

Quote:
Well aware of it and it has been discussed here. The issue is federal funding of services which do include abortion. If they did not include abortion, then it wouldn't be a big deal.
Well, sorry, but that is what you have to accept that your taxes will go to pay for services you don't agree with, but for the greater good of society, the services need to be funded or else we deny a portion of our population with those services they could normally not afford.

Quote:
Also, only a 1/3 of their total funding is being cut.
That 1/3 could cost some of their locations in rural areas to close. That 1/3 could deny a woman in Smallville, Kansas the only clinic available to her that would not treat her like a second class citizen. Otherwise the next one is in a big city over 100 miles away.

Quote:
Not a small number, but donors will just have to fill the gap.
And what if they do not? The government will only step in again as they always will do.

Quote:
Since you seem to have such strong support for them, I'm sure you'll be sending in generous donation this year.
And I'm sure you'll donate your money to welfare groups that will help women, who are unable to get the help they need right and are stuck on welfare with a kid in tow, right?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Most people don't care to give to charity without being "detracted" because of just paying taxes. There are many other reasons why people don't donate to charity.
Of course there are other reasons, but taxes do play a role.

Quote:
And are you sure that you know those corporations aren't corrupt or have employees who aren't corrupt? Have you vetted every single person who volunteers or works for that charity? How do you know that that person on the street corner asking for donations isn't pocketing 10% of every dollar donated?

Every CHARITY has its problems, even the ones I donate to. Doesn't mean that in the end, they aren't trying to do the right thing.
Nothing is 100% and of course there are issues with charities, but they're far less corrupt than government welfare. I would rather risk losing my money donating to a children's hosptial or food bank rather than to some lazy SOB sucking off the welfare system.

Quote:
That 1/3 could cost some of their locations in rural areas to close. That 1/3 could deny a woman in Smallville, Kansas the only clinic available to her that would not treat her like a second class citizen. Otherwise the next one is in a big city over 100 miles away.

And what if they do not? The government will only step in again as they always will do.

And I'm sure you'll donate your money to welfare groups that will help women, who are unable to get the help they need right and are stuck on welfare with a kid in tow, right?
All the more reason to donate more money so we can prevent that from happening. Since you're so concerned about it, yourself and others should really be generous with your donations. It would be very commendable. Government can't come to the rescue anymore. The country is broke. Cutting the budget is going to be painful and we will have to do without in many instances. Although I'm discussing economic reality, I should also reiterate that one of the key issues with federal funding of PP is having pro-life taxpayers pay for something with such strong moral and social implications. You can't compare this to other things we may oppose as taxpayers, but just deal with.

Now, more than ever, those of us who are in stable financial circumstances need to step up and do the right thing. However, with that said, in the end it is up to the individual what they want to do with their money. Whether it is donating it to charity or spending it all at the mall. Your money, your decison.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:00 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
And this attitude is a major problem when it comes government welfare vs. charity. You filed your taxes and whiped your hands clean of the issue. This detracts people from donating to charity (not you specifically). I prefer giving my money to organizations I know that are not corrupt and use their money wisely...which does not include the government.

Me neither, but many do.

Well aware of it and it has been discussed here. The issue is federal funding of services which do include abortion. If they did not include abortion, then it wouldn't be a big deal. Also, only a 1/3 of their total funding is being cut. Not a small number, but donors will just have to fill the gap. Since you seem to have such strong support for them, I'm sure you'll be sending in generous donation this year.
The services do include abortion, but no taxpayer funding as per Title X rules no $$ goes to abortion and there has been no evidence whatsoever that Planned Parenthood is not following Title X rules

Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The services do include abortion, but no taxpayer funding as per Title X rules no $$ goes to abortion and there has been no evidence whatsoever that Planned Parenthood is not following Title X rules
How do they track precisely where each taxpayer dollar goes? I hope they have a very stringent accounting department.

Still doesn't change my point that pro-life taxpayers should not have to fund an organization that performs abortions. Even if it isn't directly funding abortion, they're still indirectly giving money to an organization that goes against their moral and religious beliefs.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:12 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
How do they track precisely where each taxpayer dollar goes? I hope they have a very stringent accounting department.

Still doesn't change my point that pro-life taxpayers should not have to fund an organization that performs abortions. Even if it isn't directly funding abortion, they're still indirectly giving money to an organization that goes against their moral and religious beliefs.
The accounting rules are quite stringent and no one has provided any evidence to suggest those rules are not being followed.

Many people disagree with any government things they have to pay for, the war in Iraq was far more costly and far more unpopular than Planned Parenthood funding, but the taxpayers had to pay for that.

Regardless, as I said earlier this has zero chance of going any further. This has zero chance of getting past the Senate, likely has somewhere in the range of 45 or 46 votes max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies