Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM
 
48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Reputation: 18305

Advertisements

I would guess for the saqme3 reaqsons that Geithner and mnay others are not in jial for not paying taxes. the governamnt wants moeny instead thru pleas.In mnay cases one has to remmebr that without a trial a plea mayber just a way for both to save money and time.Certain Maddoff is in jial and certainly those who sign false income statements are not being prosequted for make false statemnts.Happnes all the ime in cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2013, 02:23 PM
 
Location: USA
13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times
Reputation: 4228
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Banks are powerless without your money. Take it all out. Don't borrow a dime. Pay cash for your homes. A few simple steps and the banks collapse.

Quit griping and take action. Otherwise you're part of the problem.
Good suggestion.

A national movement to support smaller banks and local credit unions would cripple the big banking industry.

Do you think people would ever support it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Fredericktown,Ohio
7,168 posts, read 5,370,836 times
Reputation: 2922
I am not a bank apologist I would like to see the TBTF be broken up but know it won't happen. I want to point a couple of points from the vid, starting with Clinton retread Lanny Bruer. Lanny said to bring charges you have to prove the intent to defraud. Now lets keep that in mind and look at a couple of other comments.

When Blankenfein was giving testimony in the hearing he said {paraphrasing}" we were just like everybody else we thought housing prices would just keep going up". That is a solid point because most of Americans did too. Then they ask Blankenfein about selling MBS to investors and at the same time taking a short position.

{Paraphrasing} "that is what we are supposed to do to cover all bases and protect our assets and our investors". So I can see where Lanny would have a hard time proving intent. How can you prove intent to defraud? the banksters thought home prices would keep going up and they were protecting their investors.

Also in the clip there was the 2 Wallstreet guys that they took to trial and if you paid attention they showed up with 18 lawyers. And we thought OJ had the A team? they had the best and the brightest and it worked the jury found them not guilty.

Most of the whole mess can be put at the footsteps of our gvt, because the banksters know ever loop hole of the law. Are any of us any better? wonder how many of us would search for a loop hole or a deduction to save on taxes? Is that a intent to defraud? no it is taking advantage of the law that is written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Fredericktown,Ohio
7,168 posts, read 5,370,836 times
Reputation: 2922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Good suggestion.

A national movement to support smaller banks and local credit unions would cripple the big banking industry.

Do you think people would ever support it?
The people have more power then they realize if they could ever band together instead of breaking off into two worthless camps. Another idea is what North Dakota is doing and that is a state run banks. Just think a state that funds their student loans, homes, cars, and business and the interest goes into the states general fund. So instead of giving the wall st banksters all that money that they stuff into their pockets the states could use the funds for infrastructure and education, etc, etc.

I started a thread on this a couple of years ago and it died a sudden death which irks me since Beyonce lip synching was front page 4 days running so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Palo Alto
12,149 posts, read 8,426,253 times
Reputation: 4190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Good suggestion.

A national movement to support smaller banks and local credit unions would cripple the big banking industry.

Do you think people would ever support it?
Perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Barrington
63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Reputation: 20674
There is no appitite in DC to increase regulation. This spans all parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM
 
8,104 posts, read 3,965,128 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post

Most of the whole mess can be put at the footsteps of our gvt, because the banksters know ever loop hole of the law. Are any of us any better? wonder how many of us would search for a loop hole or a deduction to save on taxes? Is that a intent to defraud? no it is taking advantage of the law that is written.

But what happens when the government is full of former banksters that create these policies?
When they exist in a revolving door between Wall Street and Washington.

Of course they did nothing "illegal". They created the policies that allowed them to rape and pillage this country. Does anyone actually think they are going into the Government to serve the American People lol?
No, they are going in there to help they and their cronies out. How is that working for the country, having the "Best and Brightest" in DC lol?



What's the Economic Cost of Wall Street's Revolving Door

Bill Moyers: The Washington-Wall Street Revolving Door Keeps Spinning


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/bo...anted=all&_r=0
Washington and Wall Street: The Revolving Door

THE REVOLVING DOOR: 29 People Who Went From Wall Street To Washington To Wall Street - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 04:03 PM
 
344 posts, read 427,944 times
Reputation: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Don't complain about the system if your not actively doing anything to change it.
The Wall Street Execs and Washington were laughing at the Occupy movements. They knew that you were a bunch of narrow minded college gooks that have just spent their last 6 years or so buried in a book full of propaganda that they authored. They knew you didnt have the veracity nor intestinal fortitude to stick it out. They molded you in their Government Indoctrination Centers, so therefore they were fully aware of your though process.

The occupy movement was a complete waste of time. They should have been in Washington marching instead of Wall Street. I agree with a few things that were said at the movement that included the removal of the Fed, but it was over shadowed by a bunch of dope smoking, over-educated, debt ridden, college gooks that dont have a clue on how the free market system works.

See, even with all the corruption in our Government and Wall Street, you can still be prosperous if you have the willingness to self educate yourself on the issues that matter, instead of what some tenured Professor is feeding your bird brain with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM
 
8,104 posts, read 3,965,128 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
The occupy movement was a complete waste of time. They should have been in Washington marching instead of Wall Street. I agree with a few things that were said at the movement, but it was over shadowed by a bunch of dope smoking, over-educated, debt ridden, college gooks that dont have a clue on how the free market system works.

See, even with all the corruption in our Government and Wall Street, you can still be prosperous if you have the willingness to self educate yourself on the issues that matter, instead of what some tenured Professor is feeding your bird brain with.
What good does it do though to protest in Washington (Which they were), when it will be used by the media as partisan attack based on whoever is serving?

The protests should be done in such a way to point fingers at all involved.
That would be Washington and Wall Street. And they did protest in both directions.

The criminal politician turning into a Wall Street Banksters then back to a politician is the problem.

I have brought up how do we get Wall Street out of the government so that they have to play in the same market forces as everyone else, and was shouted down by some because they actually believe in cronyism, while talking out of the side of their mouths about free and fair markets, or how market forces dictate everything.

Policies are about 100% responsible for everything that is going wrong with this country, and you can thank the criminals revolving between DC and their respective industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Barrington
63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Reputation: 20674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I am not a bank apologist I would like to see the TBTF be broken up but know it won't happen. I want to point a couple of points from the vid, starting with Clinton retread Lanny Bruer. Lanny said to bring charges you have to prove the intent to defraud. Now lets keep that in mind and look at a couple of other comments.

When Blankenfein was giving testimony in the hearing he said {paraphrasing}" we were just like everybody else we thought housing prices would just keep going up". That is a solid point because most of Americans did too. Then they ask Blankenfein about selling MBS to investors and at the same time taking a short position.

{Paraphrasing} "that is what we are supposed to do to cover all bases and protect our assets and our investors". So I can see where Lanny would have a hard time proving intent. How can you prove intent to defraud? the banksters thought home prices would keep going up and they were protecting their investors.

Also in the clip there was the 2 Wallstreet guys that they took to trial and if you paid attention they showed up with 18 lawyers. And we thought OJ had the A team? they had the best and the brightest and it worked the jury found them not guilty.

Most of the whole mess can be put at the footsteps of our gvt, because the banksters know ever loop hole of the law. Are any of us any better? wonder how many of us would search for a loop hole or a deduction to save on taxes? Is that a intent to defraud? no it is taking advantage of the law that is written.
When you get right down to it, with few exceptions, no federal laws were broken.
And there is no bipartisan appitite for true reform.

Anyone remember how Romney's campaign manager bolted at a critical time during the campaign to join a Wall Street lobbying firm? People flit between Wall Street, lobbying and Congress all the time.
Where do you think Congressmen go if they lose or retire from Conrgress. The loobbying firms welcome them with open arms for their contacts and influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top