Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:33 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Why do people do something that they themselves know is dangerous, and down right stupid. This act has killed so many innocent drivers, because of texting. People know the consequences, less then a split second and you could be in another lane, or verring off of the highway or freeway, or hitting the car in front of you, or to the side, it takes less then a split second. A car itself is a weapon in the wrong hands we all know this don't we. Now add someone not paying attention to the road, texting, that is all it takes, to hit someone head on. Don't do it, or you may be the person who suffers the consequences of texting, or you may be the one to kill someone innocent. If it is so dang important to you to text, pull off the side of the road. Other lives depend on the balance of someone who is texting while driving.
Back when I had a cell phone (strictly to summon help if needed when traveling) even before texting became possible, I refused to even answer the phone if it rang while I was driving. I have a neighbor now who is the same way - even if she asks someone to call her on her cell phone, she specifies after the time at which she will be home. I no longer own a cell phone; I've never understood people's "need" to be constantly connected to everyone. And, yes, I get angry at my son for not leaving his cell phone at home when we have shopping to do. There's really nothing happening in his or his friends' lives that 'requires' immediate response. And there's for sure nothing happening in my life that can't wait at least until I get home. No matter how long I'm out and about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:47 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
During my daily 20 mile commute, it is common to run across:
- Guy in left lane of the interstate going below the speed limit with 20+ cars backed up behind him and then suddenly speed up once he finishes his phone call.
- Girl pulling up next to me and then merging into my lane/car who happens to be texting
- Guy stopped at green light finishing up a text (that's the least of the infractions since that's only an inconvenience)
- Girl at stop light finishing her text message and then driving into the intersection while the light is still red

I know accidents have always happened. While technology has helped cut down on fatalities and possibly reduced the incidence of people rear-ending others thanks to anti-lock brakes and other things... undoubtedly, cell phones cause unwarranted accidents. I wish there was something to be done about it.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
During my daily 20 mile commute, it is common to run across:
- Guy in left lane of the interstate going below the speed limit with 20+ cars backed up behind him and then suddenly speed up once he finishes his phone call.
- Girl pulling up next to me and then merging into my lane/car who happens to be texting
- Guy stopped at green light finishing up a text (that's the least of the infractions since that's only an inconvenience)
- Girl at stop light finishing her text message and then driving into the intersection while the light is still red

I know accidents have always happened. While technology has helped cut down on fatalities and possibly reduced the incidence of people rear-ending others thanks to anti-lock brakes and other things... undoubtedly, cell phones cause unwarranted accidents. I wish there was something to be done about it.
Short of setting oneself up for a road rage incident?

What I've done is this: I started carrying a handy pen and pad. The last time I was almost hit by a driver using their cell phone as I was crossing in the crosswalk, I moved directly in front of their car, took out my pen and pad and wrote down their license plate number. A few times, I've sat at a bus stop with a sign that said "Hang up and drive" -- flashed the sign, as well as my digital camera, at the offending drivers. I don't know how much good it did. Thus far, no rage. That was in a small town and the offenders were mostly fairly harmless looking women. Beyond that, I don't know what to do. I do think we need to stand up and do something. Even in my small town where it is illegal to phone or text while driving, it's amazing how many people still do it.

One of my biggest pet peeves.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:22 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
my phone doesn't even allow texts currently. You guys are not even arguing with my stated points, you are still just using a straw man argument.
I made a statement of facts, no strawman arguement. If you think slinging hyperbole equates to using logic or reason you are sorrily mistaken.

There is no reason for me to address your stated points when I believe they have no merit. Plenty of studies have shown that texting while driving is more dangerous then DUI. Let search engines be your friend.

I'll add that most of those irresponsible people behind the wheel whom I've had to take defensive driving manuevers to avoid being hit are women and girls who are texting behind the wheel.

No longer is one ensuring safety from irresponsible drivers by avoiding being on the road during hours that bars or major events that involve drinking let out. Now these idiots are on the road all day every day wandering in and out of their lanes, stopping in the middle of the road, running up on the backside of other cars, and paying no attention to driving rules or courtesy whatsoever.

Laws may not stop it but they can have a deterrent affect for some. Anything we can do short of disabling phone altogether when vehicles are running, IMO, is a good thing (at the state level). My state and the adjacent state have enacted no texting while driving laws. Only time will tell what effect, if any, they have.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Short of setting oneself up for a road rage incident?

What I've done is this: I started carrying a handy pen and pad. The last time I was almost hit by a driver using their cell phone as I was crossing in the crosswalk, I moved directly in front of their car, took out my pen and pad and wrote down their license plate number. A few times, I've sat at a bus stop with a sign that said "Hang up and drive" -- flashed the sign, as well as my digital camera, at the offending drivers. I don't know how much good it did. Thus far, no rage. That was in a small town and the offenders were mostly fairly harmless looking women. Beyond that, I don't know what to do. I do think we need to stand up and do something. Even in my small town where it is illegal to phone or text while driving, it's amazing how many people still do it.

One of my biggest pet peeves.

I swear to God I thought your sentence was going to say, "I've started carrying a gun."

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Driving is dangerous. Always has been, always will be. If not texting, it's something else, and you simply cannot remove everything which might make a driver take his eyes and his mind off the road.

Get over it. Drive defensibly, making allowances for those not as "smart" as you are, or stay home. No matter how judgmental or critical of others you are, or how many idiotic laws you get passed, or how many of your own critical driving mistakes you ignore, you'll risk your life every time you take to the roads.

That's just a fact of life. Deal with it.
Some people choose to attempt to change bad behaviour. Some choose to ignore it.

I suppose if I see my kid running with a handful of razor blades in one hand and a flaming can of gas in the other, I should just let him go. I guess I should just play stupid and deal with it. Possibly I'll just get over it. I bet what he's up to is gonna be hilarious, anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

Edited to add

Handheld Cell Phones: 8 states (Calif., Conn., Del., Md., N.J., N.Y., Ore. and Wash.), D.C. and the Virgin Islands prohibit all drivers from using handheld cell phones while driving.
http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...hone_laws.html

It didn't save her from her own error in judgement. That's pretty sad. Like you said, it's life though. Do you think she'll get over it? How about if she had just killed someone else? Do you think they'll be able to get over it?

Last edited by 70Ford; 02-19-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 02-19-2011, 12:00 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
It's obvious that most people in this thread don't have a problem with cell phones: They have a problem with people and think more government and more laws can fix that.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:01 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Might as well outlaw mob violence.

Wal-Mart Employee Trampled To Death As Mob Tears Doors Off Hinges - The Consumerist

Old 02-19-2011, 12:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's obvious that most people in this thread don't have a problem with cell phones: They have a problem with people and think more government and more laws can fix that.
Ok, tell me, am I allowed to use lethal force to defend myself and my vehicle from a drunk driver or a texting driver who poses a real danger, with a lethal weapon just as any attacker walking down the sidewalk with a machette?

Or, do I just have to buy the largest truck with the heaviest commercial steel bumpers to crush their vehicles when I am hit? They would pretty much end up like the late woman's Mazda in the OP's link if I had a true cattle guard on my vehicle. Should I have to go to extreme measures to defend myself on the road from irresponsible drivers? Really, if I am allowed to purchase a derby truck and mow into/over any driver texting I'll do that if that is what it takes to get them off the road. I suspect few reasonable people would find this as a rational response however and insist repsonsible drivers continue to be victims in waiting.

I suspect the insurance industry will get this sorted out in a few years following the collection of statistics and the rates for female (young and middle aged) drivers will skyrocket to that of young male drivers as texting causes more and more crashes, deaths, and claims. In the meanwhile, be responsible or accept the consequences.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
You are not understanding my first post in the thread. No law is going to stop this from happening. Just as drunk driving still happens by the minute.

Private roads are the only thing that will stop his almost completely. It is the tragedy of the commons we are dealing with. There is no way to solve the issue of texting on "public" roads.

I found it enlightening that you think just because you can't talk and drive that someone else doesn't have that ability. It's a skill like anything else, and we shouldn't make laws just to make illogical persons happy.
Or course a law against texting won't make every one stop but it would make some stop.

I also tell my kids to be quite and turn off the radio when it is pouring down rain because I want to concentrate on getting home safely. I am a good driver but I have to worry about the people that aren't being careful. I was the same way when I lived where it snowed.

I don't take phone calls in my car either and it isn't the law down here yet.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Highway deaths the lowest in 60 years?

U.S. highway deaths at lowest level in 60 years

Maybe not as many people are wrecking because of texting as we would like to believe. That number would likely drop to less than 3,000 if the entire transportation system were privatized.
and let's now forget that we have airbags now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies