Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Sounds sarcastic to me.
No many Christians actually do believe that. I don't see why they couldn't use the protection of weapons along with the protection from a higher power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
No many Christians actually do believe that. I don't see why they couldn't use the protection of weapons along with the protection from a higher power.
And how do you know that they didn't have weapons? Link please. I believe an updated reported said that 2 of the pirates were killed. Sound to me like these people gave them a pretty good fight. I am sure they didn't just rely on God but fought with everything they had. I doubt these people were passive.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
And how do you know that they didn't have weapons? Link please. I believe an updated reported said that 2 of the pirates were killed. Sound to me like these people gave them a pretty good fight. I am sure they didn't just rely on God but fought with everything they had. I doubt these people were passive.
Well I didn't see the updated report. There are several links in this thread ya know.

ETA

From the yahoo link:

Quote:
Our colleagues called us this morning, that they were being attacked by a U.S. warship," a pirate who identified himself as Mohamud told Reuters.

"The U.S. warship shot in the head two of my comrades who were on the deck of the yacht by the time they alerted us," Mohamud said. "This is the time we ordered the other comrades inside yacht to react -- kill the four Americans because there was no other alternative -- then our line got cut."
Doesn't sound like the hostages killed the pirates.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Lighten up guys, article says they were 275 miles off the coast of Oman, in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

It isn't like they were sailing off the beach off Somalia waving at local fisherman.
initially, it was reported that they had powered down their radio and electronic equipment (?) hoping to escape detection and were quite far out, trying to slip by the coast. So, for you haters, they were not leisurely sailing the Somali coast.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
djibouti - Google Maps

Djibouti is the refuel point.

Scroll out and tell me when you can see Somalia.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
According to news reports I heard on the radio, the Navy has killed 2 of the pirates and captured the rest, 15 IIRC. Time for the Pershing approach. Shoot them all, dump them in a hole, cover them in pigs guts and broadcast the whole thing. Even if the Somali pirates aren't muslim, it should make them think twice.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well I didn't see the updated report. There are several links in this thread ya know.
ETA
From the yahoo link:
Doesn't sound like the hostages killed the pirates.
Not that it matters but Fox reports:
Two pirates died during the confrontation and 13 were captured and detained, along with two pirates already in custody. U.S. forces also found the remains of two other pirates already dead aboard the vessel and believe a total of 19 pirates were involved in the hijacking.

so according to this report 2 were found "already dead about the vessel" so it sounds like the U.S forces came aboard and found two of the criminals already deceased.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Lighten up guys, article says they were 275 miles off the coast of Oman, in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

It isn't like they were sailing off the beach off Somalia waving at local fisherman.
This is what I read:

Quote:
This is what drew Jean and Scott Adam, an American couple from Southern California who have been sailing the globe for the past six years, to steer toward waters off the Somali coast.

“Djibouti is a big refueling stop,” Mrs. Adam, a retired dentist, wrote on the couple’s Web site. “I have NO idea what will happen in these ports, but perhaps we’ll do some local touring.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/wo...20somalia.html

Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I understand your point.
But each man has free choice and if some evil people are intent on evil doing and murder then God is not going to stop them.
That is too bad that this God doesn't have the same motivation to prevent harm to his "children" that a father would have for their children.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You'd make a great rape crisis counselor.

"You didn't deserve to be raped, but you shouldn't have worn have worn that dress"
I am guessing that the pirates would not have a defense, if on trial, by blaming their victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies