Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:08 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Having health isn't the same as choosing to own a car or a boat or a house, that's a pretty basic concept don't you think?

I say it's up the person without insurance to figure out how to pay for it if they choose to not carry it but get hurt or sick. That's not my problem nor should it be my responsibility as a tax payer.
And therein lies the problem. Successive governments - both Republican and Democrat - have said it is your problem. And I am not sure that there is any political will on either side to change that fundamental reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If I lose my job, I will NEVER be able to get health insurance. I am currently battling Hodgkin's lymphoma. In a year, I will most likely be cured. However, for the rest of my life, I will be uninsurable or have incredibly high ($1000+ a month) premiums.

Are you really willing to tell a 23 year old who happens to get ill through no fault of her own that she should just "figure it out" how to pay for insurance that, at least right now, is more than half of my monthly income BEFORE taxes?

People like me, who one day would like to start a small business but will NEVER be able to because of health care costs?

This is the reality for many people out there. I'm just one case. My best friend, also 23, was quoted at $600 a month for health insurance once he was booted off of his parents' insurance due to a previously existing condition. I guess he should "choose" to be homeless and not eat in order to pay for health insurance.
You are asking a very fundamental question there. What kind of society do we want to be?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
But, as a society, are we willing to let a child die of cancer because his/her parents did not want or could not get insurance? If someone falls and breaks their leg in the street, are we willing to let them lie there because they do not have insurance?

It isn't just as simple as pay or do not pay.
Sorry, that arguement doesn't fly. There are plenty of children's hospitals who pay for the medical care of children whose parents cannot afford it; yes, including childhood cancers.

However, if/when Obama does away for the charitable deduction for income taxes as he has suggested you may see these same hospitals which serve children in dire straights.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
The "figure it out" thing can come back to bite you. By the time a person is 40, the probability that s/he has a "pre-existing condition" is pretty high. By 50, it's probably in the 90% range. That is why Medicare was started in the first place. It was incredibly difficult for senior citizens to get health ins. on the open market. None of the insurers wanted to take their risk.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
But, as a society, are we willing to let a child die of cancer because his/her parents did not want or could not get insurance? If someone falls and breaks their leg in the street, are we willing to let them lie there because they do not have insurance?
Why do you try to shift your own responsibility to society? This to me sounds like you would indeed let them die of cancer or leave them in the streets with a broken leg, expecting someone else to take care of it.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Why do you try to shift your own responsibility to society? This to me sounds like you would indeed let them die of cancer or leave them in the streets with a broken leg, expecting someone else to take care of it.
Not at all. If you had read my posts on the subject you will know that I am in favor of UHC, properly funded and properly organized and run a whole lot more efficiently than we have today.

The point I am trying to make here is that this debate really does define the kind of society we want to live in. Because, if you accept the argument that you should not have to carry insurance then you also accept that you have no right to health care unless you can afford it. Now, I am not sure I want to live in a society where poor people are dependent on charity for health care, where young people's future is blighted because they happened to get sick or where people are routinely bankrupted because of the cost of illness.

I accept that many will disagree with me. But that is my opinion.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:22 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If I lose my job, I will NEVER be able to get health insurance. I am currently battling Hodgkin's lymphoma. In a year, I will most likely be cured. However, for the rest of my life, I will be uninsurable or have incredibly high ($1000+ a month) premiums.

I guess he should "choose" to be homeless and not eat in order to pay for health insurance.
That's what people refuse to understand. Insurance companies will and do look for any reason to refuse coverage to a person who will cost them any money - someone tell me that ins. companies don't have software specifically designed to look for legal denials.

I am sorry for your health issues and I wish you well. But you're right, you will be forever uninsurable or be completely priced out.

That's one thing about the Health Care Plan that will go by the wayside with it being carved up - that no insurance company may deny a person coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

Re your friend - If he were to become homeless and barely eat, then he'd probably be denied because he was living a life of high-risk.

The Health Care program was a start. I said it before and will do so again, if our neighbors are unable to pay for their child's leukemia treatments, or too old/too infirm to work, we should at least help pay for their care. I will never understand why people think a catastrophic illness will never happen in their families.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
I don't think jaggy is taking about his own child. The RW has made a mockery of "personal responsibilty". My daughter had cancer. I can't remember now just how much it cost for her surgery and dr. bills, but more than most people have in savings. And she, thank G*d, didn't need chemo. That would be another astronomic expense. It would be helpful if all people touting "PR" would actually look into what kind of costs are being talked about here. It's not like affording an oil change, to use an analogy that is frequently used when talking about health insurance. It's not even like totaling a car.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:29 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think jaggy is taking about his own child. The RW has made a mockery of "personal responsibilty". My daughter had cancer. I can't remember now just how much it cost for her surgery and dr. bills, but more than most people have in savings. And she, thank G*d, didn't need chemo. That would be another astronomic expense. It would be helpful if all people touting "PR" would actually look into what kind of costs are being talked about here. It's not like affording an oil change, to use an analogy that is frequently used when talking about health insurance. It's not even like totaling a car.
I will have at least 6 months of chemo, and my copay (with VERY GOOD insurance) for that time will be more than twice my entire annual salary (which is in itself more than I have made at any job previously combined).

I went to the doctor with a swollen gland thinking I had an infection. I still have no symptoms. It can happen to anyone and it's unbelievable that people choose to ignore that.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Correct. Both my kids are grown and in excellent health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies