Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Nonsense. The people who tout UHC realize in part that the delivery of health care is poorly done through a for-profit insurance company. People need to realize insurance companies are in it for the profit period. Like most insurance it is based on plenty of premium coming in with as little pay-out going out. It really is as simple as that. Health insurance companies can legally collude and fix prices across state lines. They do not have to abide by Anti-Trust legislation. They've raised rates at a fast pace in the distant past and continue to do so, and it will happen under Obamacare because they can.
Every business is for profit and most of them have prices going down due to competition and innovation. You say it yourself, it's government regulation/legislation that allows HC companies to get rid of the competition factor and prices go up. It's government and HC that is colluding and that's a deadly combination.

I stand by my point: most UHC proponents are also in favour of more laws that stifle HC business and eliminate competition.

PS: Innovation is incredibly important and IMPOSSIBLE without PROFIT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,470 times
Default only money can buy you Health care insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/op...html?src=twrhp

Pretty much the best argument that I've read FOR Obamacare. Yes, the Obamacare legislation is not perfect, but repeal is not the answer. "Health insurance should remain a choice" is just a fallacy of an argument, because for millions of Americans, it is not currently an option. Unless you have a job that offers you health insurance, it is very difficult to buy it as an individual.

It is wrong to assume that the millions of uninsured Americans are uninsured because they don't want health insurance.
I have been paying for Healthcare for the past ten years, now I have medicare and Medicare supplement insurance.........look up the facts you will feel better

Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just what "rule" is being proven? My daughter got melanoma at 14 from a mole she was born with. Is she, too, an exception that proves some rule?
Yes. Because out of the 5000+ patients I see a year, the vast majority don't reflect these outliers you people seem to have oodles of examples of.

But understand that is why you remember them. Because they are outliers.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,470 times
Default ELOVUTION in 500 words or less.....

Ready go, what is your view of this Religion. I mean is is fact or Theory and if it is factual,how can we prove it?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:

Pretty much the best argument that I've read FOR Obamacare. Yes, the Obamacare legislation is not perfect, but repeal is not the answer. "Health insurance should remain a choice" is just a fallacy of an argument, because for millions of Americans, it is not currently an option. Unless you have a job that offers you health insurance, it is very difficult to buy it as an individual.

It is wrong to assume that the millions of uninsured Americans are uninsured because they don't want health insurance.
I'm sorry but you are insane, my wife's insurance raised to $700 a month because of Obama care and my baby's health insurance just announced they also were going to increase rates because of Obamacare.

There is no free insurance, just a fine for not buying insurance of up to $5000 per year.

I don't know what you are smoking, but Obamacare needs repealing.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:

If thery can't afford it then that is what mediaid is for. Many actually can afford it but just don't want to pay for it rather buy something else. Obama recogniuse just that fact in his campaign against Clinton. He even said that 15 million who could affors it wil not buy it and thre si no way of really enforcing making them. He laready has give close to a hundred exception to bisuinesses alone.In fact mnay will be force into mediciad because without the medicaid state payments the CBO numbers are not possible. It will be upto staes after 2014 to comeup witht eh huge amounts of revenues increaes to pay their protion. Thus why Nelson (D) of Nebraska sold his vote for a exception of the stae revenues needed.hey alos will force many workig for a company that refuse the company insurance to jin it and ot allowed to shop the pools.I have talked to mnay younger people that say they will just pay the fine when penaltized also.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. Because out of the 5000+ patients I see a year, the vast majority don't reflect these outliers you people seem to have oodles of examples of.

But understand that is why you remember them. Because they are outliers.
I really don't get how you, as a physician, can blame most everyone's illness on lifestyle. Yes, lung cancer is the most common cancer in men and women, but it does not comprise a majority of cancers. Heart disease and colon cancer have HUGE genetic componenets; one of the biggest risk factors for heart disease is being a male, certainly not an easily modifiable condition. Breast cancer is, I believe, the second most common form of cancer in women, and while many studies show some lifestyle causes, nothing is conclusive except genetics and late childbearing, which also isn't modifiable after the fact.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
I believe that having UHC is a hallmark of a CIVILIZED society. I'd rather our nation be seen as a civilized place instead of some 3rd world have/have-not hellhole. A lot of people around the world see us as being the latter.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I really don't get how you, as a physician, can blame most everyone's illness on lifestyle. Yes, lung cancer is the most common cancer in men and women, but it does not comprise a majority of cancers. Heart disease and colon cancer have HUGE genetic componenets; one of the biggest risk factors for heart disease is being a male, certainly not an easily modifiable condition. Breast cancer is, I believe, the second most common form of cancer in women, and while many studies show some lifestyle causes, nothing is conclusive except genetics and late childbearing, which also isn't modifiable after the fact.
The biggest thing you are missing is that just because something is genetic does not mean it's unavoidable. Not 100% of the time, but a lot of the time.

Again, you are talking about things that may or may not be unavoidable...what costs us the most health care dollars? Disease based on behavior. Pure and simple.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Every business is for profit and most of them have prices going down due to competition and innovation. You say it yourself, it's government regulation/legislation that allows HC companies to get rid of the competition factor and prices go up. It's government and HC that is colluding and that's a deadly combination.

I stand by my point: most UHC proponents are also in favour of more laws that stifle HC business and eliminate competition.

PS: Innovation is incredibly important and IMPOSSIBLE without PROFIT
I have no issue with innovation and profit. I have a big problem with for profit insurance companies controlling the delivery of health care. That's not innovation and I'll also say BS on so called insurance companies investing in new healthcare procedures. All these bloodsuckers are concerned about is their investors and that's it. And they all can lose it all as far as I'm concerned. Any poster who sells health insurance on this thread, get the swing in selling cars because in a few years that's exactly what you'll be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies