Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 12:42 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We do need a military, as an individual is unable to purchase, man, and operate such devices as aircraft carriers, jet aircraft, and nuclear weapons on our own. Once you allow me to purchase tanks, machine guns, and nuclear devices, I will no longer need a military. Let me know.

We are, however, capable of working, taking care of our children, and planning for our own futures within our means.

It is interesting, however, that you seem to want the military to only defend and protect liberals."""

OK, lying gives you no credibility....Show PROOF where I ever said only liberals should be defended and protected by the military...you CAN'T because I never said that.

What about all the liberals who yacht? I guess an easier screen to justify military support for our citizens would be to ask them whether or not they pay taxes. If they pay taxes, and thus support the military- pick them up. If they do not pay taxes- walk the plank.
The post I was answering was about conservative/repugs screaming about personal responsibility .

I asked if they thought taxes should be spent on rescuing bible thumpers who purposely putting themselves in harm's way....showing NO personal responsibility whatsoever....why aren't they screaming that taxes shouldn't be spent on THEM???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Sorry, I don't see this as bashing. It's clearly an opinion piece. The fact that so many conservatives seemed to validate Lakoff's description of what conservatives want by their posts in this thread, is what it is.

There is in fact an OVERALL goal for each political party, whether we like it or not. Sometimes the big picture is valuable. Hard to see the forest when you're focusing so closely on individual trees.

Bashing and my side or the highway happens not only in this thread but like clock work in other discussions also.

"Conservatives are greedy and heartless because they won't allow government to help people". What a blanket statement. The way I see it they have valid concerns of abuse by government, liberals won't admit that. However conservatives have such a fear of government they won't believe or think that government can ever work in favor of people.

This kind of one sided thinking happens on a lot of topics from social issues, to war issues, to health care........

It's like some seem to want to just argue, they don't want solultions, they don't want to learn, they don't want to see if maybe someone else can make them think outside the box and see anothers point of view and understand. Too often it is "I am right and you are evil and that is that".

Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Is it so bad that we expect you to grow up and be an adult...providing for yourself?
As you insist on making this personal, I am quite grown up and have supported myself for about 30 years now.

Your post clearly validates what Lakoff talked about as the "strict father" model and conservatives. You articulated perfectly the "father" role in talking to a child. I am an adult. Liberals/progressives are adults.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Bad things happen to good people and every once in a while our fellow citizens need a helping hand, too bad you do not grasp that. Jesus would weep at our cold hearts.
Casper
I am disabled and yet have given 3-400 hours a year volunteering to my community for 30+ years, and you?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Bashing and my side or the highway happens not only in this thread but like clock work in other discussions also.

"Conservatives are greedy and heartless because they won't allow government to help people". What a blanket statement. The way I see it they have valid concerns of abuse by government, liberals won't admit that. However conservatives have such a fear of government they won't believe or think that government can ever work in favor of people.

This kind of one sided thinking happens on a lot of topics from social issues, to war issues, to health care........

It's like some seem to want to just argue, they don't want solultions, they don't want to learn, they want to see if maybe someone else can make them think outside the box and see anothers point of view and understand. Too often it is "I am right and you are evil and that is that".
Examination of one's morals and values is not bashing. If you understand where someone else, or MORE IMPORTANTLY, some group or organization is coming from, what their goals are, is it easier to negotiate to find solutions.

I found it amazing that so many conservatives made posts DENYING Lakoff's assessments, yet in the very same posts totally validated his view of conservatives believing in personal responsibility TO THE EXCLUSION of any social responsibility. I think that means that these people had maybe really never though through what that means.

Actually, I think you would do well to READ what Lakoff wrote. Your summarization of the piece is not all that accurate, as well as fairly simplistic.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:04 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Quote:
Examination of one's morals and values is not bashing. If you understand where someone else, or MORE IMPORTANTLY, some group or organization is coming from, what their goals are, is it easier to negotiate to find solutions.

I found it amazing that so many conservatives made posts DENYING Lakoff's assessments, yet in the very same posts totally validated his view of conservatives believing in personal responsibility TO THE EXCLUSION of any social responsibility. I think that means that these people had maybe really never though through what that means.

Actually, I think you would do well to READ what Lakoff wrote. Your summarization of the piece is not all that accurate, as well as fairly simplistic.
Conservatives give more to their communities and charities than liberals.
The difference is, we choose where and who to give to. I don't need any
government telling me who to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I am disabled and yet have given 3-400 hours a year volunteering to my community for 30+ years, and you?
Why do you continue to make this so PERSONAL?

But since you do make it personal, let me ask: do you receive any financial assistance from the government for your disability? If you do not, why do you find it so reprehensible that the government might give assistance to other disabled people who may not be independently wealthy or do not have family members who will support them? Does your disability prevent you from working at a job where you earn an income?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,240 times
Quote:
Complete and utter bovine fecal matter.

Nearly everyone here has posted about supporting charity and churches, etc. That is a form of social responsibility. Just because it is not YOUR idea of social responsibility (i.e. nanny-state government) does not make it any less effective.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Conservatives give more to their communities and charities than liberals.
The difference is, we choose where and who to give to. I don't need any
government telling me who to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Government assistance is more widespread than any individual making donations. Government assistance can help MORE PEOPLE than individual charities and churches. As a matter of fact, donations to charities DROPPED last year! So that means there is even less money to help MORE people who need help.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Complete and utter bovine fecal matter.

Nearly everyone here has posted about supporting charity and churches, etc. That is a form of social responsibility. Just because it is not YOUR idea of social responsibility (i.e. nanny-state government) does not make it any less effective.
Nearly everyone here has also posted about poor people being poor and needy because they are lazy, slackers, scammers, etc.

Did you happen to notice that donations to charities overall last year were DOWN? As I said before, government assistance can help more people over a larger area than your individual donations to charities, although that should not be a reason to stop donating to charities if you like.

All these "compassionate" conservatives are also against healthcare for everyone......exactly how socially responsible is that? You want to have people in your streets who are sick and dying, but probably more important to some people is that there are people out there with diseases which YOU could catch, like antibiotic resistant TB, etc. You could actually be very self-interested and support universal healthcare!

Yet, "conservatives" seem to support ending food stamps, medicaid, medicare, SS, and on and on. Are you guys going to individually take care of the entire underclass population of this country with your donatoins of money and time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies