Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,548,310 times

Advertisements

What impression do non-Americans have about the United States?

Would you like to be an American or does the USA and her citizens offend you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
What impression do non-Americans have about the United States?

Would you like to be an American or does the USA and her citizens offend you?
Now are you speaking of North Americans, South Americans, Central Americans or all of the above?

Or did you mean United States Citizens?

Also, why would you group all citizens of the USA as possibly "offensive?"

Last edited by Booya; 02-20-2011 at 09:48 AM..

Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
I think this question is better asked in the World forum

Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 AM

A) I meant non-citizens of the United States.

B) Perhaps, somewhere on Earth, there are non-United States Citizens who feel that some or many United States Citizens are "offensive". Perhaps not. That may or may not influence the opinion of non-United States Citizens regarding a desire to become a United States Citizen.

C) I ask this question in Politics and Other Controversies because, I believe, many non-citizens of the United States feel that the United States is controversial because of the political discourse in the United States. This may, again, influence a desire to become a citizen of the United States.

Then again, it may not. That is what I'd like to know.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
I can't answer for myself, but I put a similar question to a friend living in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
A) I meant non-citizens of the United States.

B) Perhaps, somewhere on Earth, there are non-United States Citizens who feel that some or many United States Citizens are "offensive". Perhaps not. That may or may not influence the opinion of non-United States Citizens regarding a desire to become a United States Citizen.
They don't find Americans "offensive" but rather loud, very social, and incredibly over-optimistic.

Quote:
C) I ask this question in Politics and Other Controversies because, I believe, many non-citizens of the United States feel that the United States is controversial because of the political discourse in the United States. This may, again, influence a desire to become a citizen of the United States.

Then again, it may not. That is what I'd like to know.
Politics doesn't really figure into their equation. They are still more interested in the politics of their home country (Greens vs. Blues) than the US's (Repubs vs Dems). The political discourse in their country is just as rancorous--if not more--than it is in the USA, so they weren't bothered by it.

What this particular person liked about the US was the ability to make a much higher salary and the lack of competition in the workplace, since most of their coworkers were less-educated and had a lower work-ethic than them. It was easy for them to advance in the company because they did faster and better work than their American counterparts. I got the impression that they thought of our work ethic like we think of the European's. They also liked how easy it was to start their own business because American's mostly don't depend on family/political-based connections to choose where to shop or with whom they do business.

What they didn't like about the US (and why they didn't necessarily plan to stay long-term) was the poor education system, the high level of violent/gun crime, and thinking that seemed stuck in the past. They said they'd prefer to permanently emigrate to one of the "more developed" 1st-world countries with lower crime and better education, or to go back home because the societal values were more in line with their own (education/educators were considered the most valuable over money or wealthy people, private gun ownership was banned, and the prevalent religion/philosophy emphasized social harmony).

Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Now are you speaking of North Americans, South Americans, Central Americans or all of the above?

Or did you mean United States Citizens?

Also, why would you group all citizens of the USA as possibly "offensive?"
LOL I am Canadian and proud North American
So darn right I love North America both canadians and americans are all good in my books were Number 1

since Canadian's and American's are so much a like in terms of culture and viewpoints. I could either live in the U.S. or Canada and still feel very comfortable as long as I could find a decent job and nice quite place to live in the suburbs.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I can't answer for myself, but I put a similar question to a friend living in the United States.
What country is your friend from?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 AM

657 posts, read 697,783 times
Hello my friend

Absolutely not. I could not imagine living in the US at all. No offense to my American friends on here, but there are just some things about the US I don't like at all and if I had to choose there would be a lot of other countries I would prefer over the US...

Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
No offense to my American friends on here, but there are just some things about the US I don't like at all and if I had to choose there would be a lot of other countries I would prefer over the US...
Please elaborate. Educate us!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
I don't know what sort of answers you will get. However i do know that the U.S. is not looked upon any more as we once where. However, until you do experience living in China, or other Countries where you do not have rights at all, you then appreciate this Country and our faults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies