Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 12:18 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,824,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Scientists, engineers, architects, mathematicians etc all prefer metric. Imperial is the most stupid system ever devised.
I'm an engineer and I use both systems daily, I don't know anyone in the survey world who hates the imperial system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,020,339 times
I remember the push towards metric when I was a kid. A liter of soda was unheard of I was young but it was supposed to be part of the conversion process. I don't know why it stopped, it really should all be metric but with a side of the old ways for historical sake.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,671,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
You still use gallons but your gallon has less volume than any other country in the world
having only 3.79 liters.
thats true, but we use a standard gallon not an imperial gallon.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,733,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm an engineer and I use both systems daily, I don't know anyone in the survey world who hates the imperial system.
That doesn't tell much about whether they would prefer metric or not. Being an engineer myself, let me ask: what do you prefer as an engineer, and why?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,824,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That doesn't tell much about whether they would prefer metric or not. Being an engineer myself, let me ask: what do you prefer as an engineer, and why?
I don't have a preference, both systems work perfectly and I use both.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM

7,786 posts, read 7,998,270 times
as a carpenter you can keep metric. beside I cant afford to replace all my tools and equipment. plus buying lumber would be a headache. how would metric help me.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,671,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
i am not an engineer, but for me there are times i like the metric system, and times i dont. being a racer, if the metric system will give me any advantage, i will use it, if not i wont. for instance in trans am sedan racing, the engine displacement limit was set at 5 liters. knowing that i can increase the displacement of a 302 ford to 5 liters or 305ci, and possibly gain a tiny advantage. it might be small but add enough of them together and it can make a difference.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,384,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
as a carpenter you can keep metric. beside I cant afford to replace all my tools and equipment. plus buying lumber would be a headache. how would metric help me.
what would you have to replace really

most tapes are dual (inch/ft and cm/meter)

your micrometer and calipers are allready metric (mm)

lumber, especially linear lengths would actually be easier

a standard doorway (6'8") would be 203cm

just think how many people have to 'count' to figure out inches from feet.....quick what is 8ft (a standard lenght of lumber)........96 inches....yet its a simple 2.4 meters (2.438 to be exact)

metric is simple:
10mm=a cm....3 cm's to a inch
100 cm to a meter

its just knowing the conversions

I would do a 10k run almost every weekend.....that's 6.2 miles

Last edited by workingclasshero; 09-16-2011 at 12:54 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,586,671 times
I started mechanical repairs with a set of inch and a set of Whitworth series wrenches. Then I added metric as well as number series drills and both inch and metric taps and threading dies.

Which system I use depends on what I am doing. I am doing physics I use Metric or SI for calculating accelerations, forces, solar energy flux and electric power. Designing cars I use feet and inches (I am also a part time auto racer). Same with buildings, roads, water works and sewers.

I try to avoid units like cubits and square rods.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,162,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I happen to know quite a bit about ag equip and mechanics in general...better check that 1993 truck again REAL close and you may just find that you're mistaken on it having metric bolts in it...and yes,it is a pain in the butt to have to have two sets of tools and what's worse,the older I get my eyes deceive me at first glance whether it's metric or standard and that now has me carrying a caliper in my pocket more often than not to avoid several trips to the toolbox.

This getting old pi$$es me off.
I do wonder about the metric bolts and nuts on the '93. I will make a check with my son about that one, just for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies