Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
First off, because we're ALREADY involved in both Iraq AND Afghanistan we don't really have spare Marine Brigades.

Secondly, there is no guarentee that the folks "between Tripoli & Benghazi" would WELCOME Americans coming ashore.

Thirdly, there is no guarentee that our involvement would LIMITED to just a couple of brigades - in fact it probably wouldn't - which in turn leads us back to point #1 (we don't have the troops to spare).

Four, We don't have the MONEY to start being involved in what could well become another long-term war & occupation.

All reasons to let the Libyans work things out for themselves.

Ken
Haha so Ken did you feel the same way before Iraq and Afghanistan? It's disgusting to see all the hindsight 20/20 people coming out of the woodwork now that we are stuck in mud so to speak over in Iraq and Afghanistan. America was in debt before Iraq and Afghanistan.......where have you been? What's another war? What's another CIA coup d'etat? Come on this is America buddy!!!!!!!!!! We've been toppling governments and fighting wars since our inception! I mean we spend $600+ billion on our defense budget.........LETS PUT THAT TECH TO USE! Send in the predator drones and just start cleaning up the place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It comes from your comment about "what's wrong with us" and also other peoples comment about Americans being consumed with sports and TV shows that somehow they don't care what happens in the world.

While I have sympathy and care about what's wrong or happening in the world I living comfortably where I am and enjoying life doesn't make me feel bad.
'What's wrong with us'....the sentiment expressed there has nothing to do with 'self loathing'....it has more to do with 'Hey, I know we can do better, so why don't we'....

If you care about the place you live in or at, your not gonna accept sub par behavior or attitudes without questioning it...

And when I see no kind of reaction what so ever from the people that stay where I live...it disappointsments me...greatly...

97% of the people I talk to about it don't even know what 'Libya' is...

I particularly think anyone who claims ancestry over there, but is clueless to what's going on, should drop the 'African' part of African American...

And just be known as 'black' American...a generic term...

Why use the term African American, if one is totally clueless about what goes on over there with the people and their struggles...

If your not concerned about your ancestrial lands or struggles, than drop the hyphonated 'african'...and just be known as 'black' or some other generic name.

As far as Kadafi goes...he's behaving like a cruel monster...just to stay in power...

The dude has amassed millions if not billions of dollars...heck, after 40 years they should be glad their still alive, and just step down...but I think they think it's divine law, or that their divine rulers or Kings, and just can't bring themselves to step down...

Maybe cause over there, they amass so many enemies over the years, that they feel if they step down, they'll be hunted down...

In this particular situation, I do wish our leaders would do more than just stand around chewing the cud (that's what cows do).

And spurt out cheezy meaningless one liners behind the podeom...

If Kadafi is breaking 'international law' by shooting and killing unarmed people by the hundreds, than someone should do something...

I guess the UN has become all but useless...

Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Haha so Ken did you feel the same way before Iraq and Afghanistan? It's disgusting to see all the hindsight 20/20 people coming out of the woodwork now that we are stuck in mud so to speak over in Iraq and Afghanistan. America was in debt before Iraq and Afghanistan.......where have you been? What's another war? What's another CIA coup d'etat? Come on this is America buddy!!!!!!!!!! We've been toppling governments and fighting wars since our inception! I mean we spend $600+ billion on our defense budget.........LETS PUT THAT TECH TO USE! Send in the predator drones and just start cleaning up the place!
Afghanistan was necessary. Iraq was not.

Ken

Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
'What's wrong with us'....the sentiment expressed there has nothing to do with 'self loathing'....it has more to do with 'Hey, I know we can do better, so why don't we'....

If you care about the place you live in or at, your not gonna accept sub par behavior or attitudes without questioning it...

And when I see no kind of reaction what so ever from the people that stay where I live...it disappointsments me...greatly...

97% of the people I talk to about it don't even know what 'Libya' is...

I particularly think anyone who claims ancestry over there, but is clueless to what's going on, should drop the 'African' part of African American...

And just be known as 'black' American...a generic term...

Why use the term African American, if one is totally clueless about what goes on over there with the people and their struggles...

If your not concerned about your ancestrial lands or struggles, than drop the hyphonated 'african'...and just be known as 'black' or some other generic name.

As far as Kadafi goes...he's behaving like a cruel monster...just to stay in power...

The dude has amassed millions if not billions of dollars...heck, after 40 years they should be glad their still alive, and just step down...but I think they think it's divine law, or that their divine rulers or Kings, and just can't bring themselves to step down...

Maybe cause over there, they amass so many enemies over the years, that they feel if they step down, they'll be hunted down...

In this particular situation, I do wish our leaders would do more than just stand around chewing the cud (that's what cows do).

And spurt out cheezy meaningless one liners behind the podeom...

If Kadafi is breaking 'international law' by shooting and killing unarmed people by the hundreds, than someone should do something...

I guess the UN has become all but useless...
we are war weary and broke and what can we do. chances are if we go in and things go even worse we get the blame

Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Yeah it's easier to sit behind Predator drones and kill innocent civillians under the guise of the "War on Terror". Sorry if I thought our big bad military sitting on the most powerful, highly advanced military tech in the world wouldn't actually be scared of a third world tin pot dictator like Ghaddaffi? LMAO! Listen to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who said anything about our military being scared?
We don't need a 3rd front right now. We don't have the money or resources.

Its not our responsibility.This whole rebellion in the Middle East is going to turn into a Islamic civil war betwwen Sunnis and shiites. Let them kill each other to their hearts' content. We don't need to get involved.

When we get involved,we're "occupiers and infidels from the west" causing them to hate us. When we don't get involved we're also hated. So F'em all and let them kill each other.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
we are war weary and broke and what can we do. chances are if we go in and things go even worse we get the blame
I know...it's tough...

But it's so hard when your seeing or hearing people get mowed down by bullets on the news...

Human instinct is to help...I mean if they were mowing down cats or dogs that would get more reaction from people than what's going on now over there...

I wish we could send in smaller overt or is is covert, teams to strategically disable Kadafis ability to hurt people...

We were all about that stuff during the cold war (I know I know, which many now probablly contribute to current situations)

I mean we don't have to launch a WW2 type invasion...but more of a Panama interference...

Or Falkland Iland type of skirmish...just something to weaken kadafi...

I mean he's doing a Hitler right infront of us, and or for years our justification for bringing down Saddam was 'He's killing his own people' (which they weren't...they were kurds, living in Iraqi territory)(but that's semantics)...

Anyhow...it's just tough watching or hearing others get mowed down...and having such a capable armory that we only seem to use in such small instances now...

When I use to hear F-16 or Hornets fly over head years ago...it would send chills through me, the might, the honor...ect ect...

But now...it's like hearing paper tigers...just burning fuel for drills...and nothing more...

I wish I were superman right now so I could go help those people...or at least deal with Kadafi...

I can't believe he was here in a tent months ago, enjoying our Freedom...and now he's killing people in his own country...
And yet he was our guests just months ago...

Sad situation...

Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
I know...it's tough...

But it's so hard when your seeing or hearing people get mowed down by bullets on the news...

Human instinct is to help...I mean if they were mowing down cats or dogs that would get more reaction from people than what's going on now over there...

I wish we could send in smaller overt or is is covert, teams to strategically disable Kadafis ability to hurt people...

We were all about that stuff during the cold war (I know I know, which many now probablly contribute to current situations)

I mean we don't have to launch a WW2 type invasion...but more of a Panama interference...

Or Falkland Iland type of skirmish...just something to weaken kadafi...

I mean he's doing a Hitler right infront of us, and or for years our justification for bringing down Saddam was 'He's killing his own people' (which they weren't...they were kurds, living in Iraqi territory)(but that's semantics)...

Anyhow...it's just tough watching or hearing others get mowed down...and having such a capable armory that we only seem to use in such small instances now...

When I use to hear F-16 or Hornets fly over head years ago...it would send chills through me, the might, the honor...ect ect...

But now...it's like hearing paper tigers...just burning fuel for drills...and nothing more...

I wish I were superman right now so I could go help those people...or at least deal with Kadafi...

I can't believe he was here in a tent months ago, enjoying our Freedom...and now he's killing people in his own country...
And yet he was our guests just months ago...

Sad situation...
where did you live before? they only time I hear f-16's is at airshows

"But it's so hard when your seeing or hearing people get mowed down by bullets on the news."

I guess we are used to it we have been fighting two wars for 10 years and you wanting us to come in means something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YonMA162oA
blackhawk down is pretty close to what we would encounter if we put troops on the ground now and we would be hated and attacked so no way our troops are not afraid of a firefight but we have lost alot of brave men and women we want out troops to come home not go into another war

Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 PM

Sorry, I was cut off from the net for days...

So sorry...but I find it interesting...that I was so ahead of the curb...ahead of even Obama himself...now the administration has come out in support of the rebellion...wow...

Kadafi must go....and I was ahead of the Presidential regime on this one...

Kadafi must go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6wYRq3zHVk

Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Sorry, I was cut off from the net for days...

So sorry...but I find it interesting...that I was so ahead of the curb...ahead of even Obama himself...now the administration has come out in support of the rebellion...wow...

Kadafi must go....and I was ahead of the Presidential regime on this one...

Kadafi must go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6wYRq3zHVk
I don't think anyone here is a fan of Khadafi - or doubts that he should/will go.

The question is - what do WE do about it?
You were pushing for invasion. We were against it.
I don't think it's necessary nor would it be productive.

Ken

Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I don't think anyone here is a fan of Khadafi - or doubts that he should/will go.

The question is - what do WE do about it?
You were pushing for invasion. We were against it.
I don't think it's necessary nor would it be productive.

Ken
Hi ken...this is a hard one...but if I were President...forget about useless sanctions and UN summits...I'd have to take direct military or covert action to get rid of Kadafi...that way the new powers that take over can at least know we, America, were on their side...and maybe that might influence our influence on them...

Ombama is to 'Placent' on this...even for me...he needs to step up like Reagan would have...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies