Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM

660 posts, read 1,653,711 times

Advertisements

Even IF you want to call them tax breaks for big business:

Meanwhile, what about Maddow’s claim -- also repeated across the liberal blogosphere -- that Walker’s tax-cut bills approved in January are responsible for the $137 million deficit?

Lang’s fiscal bureau report and news accounts addressed that issue as well.

The tax cuts will cost the state a projected $140 million in tax revenue -- but not until the next two-year budget, from July 2011 to June 2013. The cuts are not even in effect yet, so they cannot be part of the current problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Then why did Governor Fiscal Irresponsible set out in his first weeks in office to add ANOTHER $140 MILLION to that shortfall?

They don't add to any shortfall.
Simple.
Read.
Learn.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Even IF you want to call them tax breaks for big business:

Meanwhile, what about Maddow’s claim -- also repeated across the liberal blogosphere -- that Walker’s tax-cut bills approved in January are responsible for the $137 million deficit?

Lang’s fiscal bureau report and news accounts addressed that issue as well.

The tax cuts will cost the state a projected $140 million in tax revenue -- but not until the next two-year budget, from July 2011 to June 2013. The cuts are not even in effect yet, so they cannot be part of the current problem.
You're HILARIOUS!

The state is apparently already operating with a shortfall, so what's the FIRST THING Governor Fiscally Irresponsible does as soon as his @s$ hits the chair?

DOUBLE IT!

And Republicans aren't outraged?

Of course not! Because he's Governor Prestidigitator. Pay no attention to what this hand is doing, while this other hand is busting the unions to fake pay for the deficits.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Evidently you have a reading problem.

There's a shortfall in the budget.

No FUTURE tax break added to that shortfall.

I don't know how much plainer it can be put.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
On her MSNBC program, Rachel Maddow explained what the protests in Wisconsin are really all about. Maddow said, “What’s happening in Wisconsin right now is not about a budget. This is about elections. This is about the Republican Party going after the institutions that make it possible for Democrats to win elections in America.”

Rachel Maddow Reveals the Hidden Truth Behind the Wisconsin Protests

So obviously true and thank you Rachel for explaining it so eloquently. Maybe the problem is that naysayers are not used to eloquence...after all, their ears are tuned to "Palin Speak". Quite a difference in wavelength, level of sophistication and intelligence.
It is true. The unions extort money from the taxpayers via Dem lawmakers and they funnel a piece back to them. It is time to end this practice.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You're HILARIOUS!

The state is apparently already operating with a shortfall, so what's the FIRST THING Governor Fiscally Irresponsible does as soon as his @s$ hits the chair?

DOUBLE IT!

And Republicans aren't outraged?

Of course not! Because he's Governor Prestidigitator. Pay no attention to what this hand is doing, while this other hand is busting the unions to fake pay for the deficits.
Too funny Politifact debunked this piece of baloney 2 days ago! Keep up.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm not a fan of Rachael Maddow, but I saw this show, and she's absolutely right. We're at a point where 7 out of the top 10 major campaign funders are corporations, and the rest are unions. If you knock the unions out of the picture, all you have left are corporations. I may not like everything the democrats do, but I sure don't want to live in a country where big business completely controls the election process here--I think it's dangerous. That's why lots of independents and democrats are screaming bloody murder about gutting the unions. They're the only voice left in this country for the middle class and working people.
Absolutely Correct! This whole issue has put me, and others that do not actually care for unions in general become their defenders. I may not always like the tactics of the unions but I do agree that people should be able to form a union and collectively bargain when it comes to their pay and benefits. I find it more than strange that the same people that defend a person’s right to make their own deal when it comes to a job will condemn unions for doing exactly that. I looked at the situation in Wis and while I did agree that the teachers did have one heck of a nice benefits package and I suspect the union would have been willing to deal with the state on them the state took the stand they will not allow any sort of bargaining and told the Democrats in their Legislature that they could vote on it but were not allowed to amend it in any way. That smacks of nothing more than union busting and is in my opinion something that cannot be allowed to occur without speaking out. This issue is Not going to go away and he Gov of Wis is now stating he is not willing to talk, either take the deal or get nothing, looks like the teachers are going to stand firm so they are at an impasse. Normally in such a situation the Feds would step in but since the Whitehouse also backs the right of unions to collectively bargain I would not count on any arbitration coming from them. This situation can and will affect ALL unions in the US that have any sort of state contracts and the fight will get far more ugly than it already has. Should be interesting since the state cannot even depend on the police departments to remove protestors since, after all, they are also union workers. Looks like the Repubs have bitten off more than they can chew on this one and this move of theirs has gotten the attention of many Americans across this nation. We shall see where it leads but if nothing else the Repubs have shown their true colors and I have the feeling most Americans are not liking what they are seeing, 2012 is gonna be real rough for the GOP, they asked for a fight and now they got one.
Casper

Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
On her MSNBC program, Rachel Maddow explained what the protests in Wisconsin are really all about. Maddow said, “What’s happening in Wisconsin right now is not about a budget. This is about elections. This is about the Republican Party going after the institutions that make it possible for Democrats to win elections in America.”

Rachel Maddow Reveals the Hidden Truth Behind the Wisconsin Protests

So obviously true and thank you Rachel for explaining it so eloquently. Maybe the problem is that naysayers are not used to eloquence...after all, their ears are tuned to "Palin Speak". Quite a difference in wavelength, level of sophistication and intelligence.
\

I believe she is half right. The unions are an arm of the democratic party and has been for decades. What happened was a symbionic relationship developed between unions and, primarily, northern democrats. The democrats would pass laws that enabled the unions to organize. The unions would contribute a portion of the increased wages back to the democratic party. Then the democratic party would enact more laws that benefited the unions...........until one day the unions and democratic party machine started killing whole industries. The end results was this;

Those beautiful cities started losing population along with the dying industries. Most of them are around half of what they were some 50 years ago. They're talking about bulldozing half of detroit. Damn shame. If allowed to the unions and their democratic party patrons will do to the entire nation what it did to those once great cities.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Evidently you have a reading problem.

There's a shortfall in the budget.

No FUTURE tax break added to that shortfall.

I don't know how much plainer it can be put.
If you actually believe this is about budgets you are more confused than you sound. This is about union busting palin and simple.
Casper

Old 02-21-2011, 12:01 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If you actually believe this is about budgets you are more confused than you sound. This is about union busting palin and simple.
Casper
Speaking of confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies