Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Do you hate the Canadian, the Mexican or the Chinese or whoever, if they have military bases in your backyard? This is what we are doing. Give aid to corrupted governments so we can build bases there.
well not sure about mexico building military bases in other countries and Canada is to small populations wise to build bases and keep them long term the last military base we used was kandahar airfield and we shared it with american forces it makes sense since the U.S and Canada got the region in 06 to patrol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
bush said 'you're either with us, or with the terrorists.'
hillary is the one who voiced the 'with us/against us' line that upset the euro poster i was responding to.

miserable fail on your part

If you plan to paraphrase, there is no difference:

You're either with us, or against us - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Hillary Clinton said on September 13, 2001: "Every nation has to either be with us, or against us. Those who harbor terrorists, or who finance them, are going to pay a price."[5]
-President George W. Bush, in an address to a joint session of Congress on September 20, 2001 said, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

Hillary Clinton was not a world leader in 2001, nor is she now.
GWB was the president of the US. You don't think his comments affected the world? His actions were even worse.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:43 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
What are your thoughts of Americans being disliked around most parts of the world ( Europe, Middle East, Asia, Latin countries, etc. )? Some presidents have made decisions that don’t please everybody around the world but why would the citizens get that kind of attitude?
Just like any other situation where the bad behaviour of a few has cast all the rest in a bad light.

I can see how foreigners dislike Americans, I dislike alot of my Countrymen also, you can see where someone of a different culture can readily take offense at some Americans when we can easily see that some of us are rude. G. W. Bush didn't exactly put forth a good image of the US either.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 AM

657 posts, read 697,407 times
I don't think Americans are generally disliked in Europe, most of you guys are alright after all

That being said, alot of people over here were shocked that a big part of the US population willingly supported their government's war of aggression against Iraq when virtually everyone in the world knew there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Also it was quite shocking to see George W. Bush get re-elected by you guys after he blatantly lied to the world and started this unjust war that cost so many innocent lives.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
I don't think Americans are generally disliked in Europe, most of you guys are alright after all

That being said, alot of people over here were shocked that a big part of the US population willingly supported their government's war of aggression against Iraq when virtually everyone in the world knew there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Also it was quite shocking to see George W. Bush get re-elected by you guys after he blatantly lied to the world and started this unjust war that cost so many innocent lives.
Blame the Democrats for putting a limp-wristed weakling on the ballot to go against Bush. They had that election all but won yet somehow blew it.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
What are your thoughts of Americans being disliked around most parts of the world ( Europe, Middle East, Asia, Latin countries, etc. )? Some presidents have made decisions that don’t please everybody around the world but why would the citizens get that kind of attitude?
Not my experience. I have been treated quite well abroad.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
I would say that the anti-American bashing was probably worse during the last decade....

Online, it seemed like no matter what kind of a net forum I was on (anything from ethnic-related to even video games lol), there was some kind of nasty flame-war between the European posters and the American posters over some disparaging remarks made by some European posters about both America and even Americans in general LOL....

Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 PM

93 posts, read 115,998 times
I think many americans are overly conscious of the idea they are "hated" abroad, but in general i don't believe this to be true. Certainly in Europe i don't believe americans are hated, in fact i believe americans to be well liked across Europe.

i think many europeans struggle to understand certain issues/outlooks/arguments in America or "Americans" en masse (but we all do this about other nations) but when it comes to meeting an individual Americans i believe there is overwhelming positivity (probably more so than is the case in reverse)

With the middle east and other parts of the 3rd world i think its quite different and more complex, and many (lets leave aside the fundamentalists and islamists and focus on everyone else) struggle with the idea of America as being a home of freedom and democracy while backing the dictators that prevent freedom and democracy in their own countries. In other words, they don't "hate our freedom", they think we hate their prospective freedoms and back leaders who clamp down on it

Even in this case, i think many still separate "America" as a country from "Americans" that they might meet

Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
I couldn't care less.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:47 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
No, its not. Everything was perfectly fine before Bush and Cheney started to act like arrogant pricks. But I see you are not willing to -for one second- think about the possibility that your behaviour has something to do with the perception we have of you. And that IS the reason people dislike (not hate) Americans. Jesus, its not like we don't have similar living standards (some countries even higher). No ghettos here, free universities etc.
No ghettos? Everyone living side by side in perfect harmony. Hmm, where are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies