Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,254,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
People always have a love/hate relationship with the powerful.
Except the caricature stereotype American I mentioned is neither powerful nor loved.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:43 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,813,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
????

True. Many Americans hate wealthy Americans as we have seen, year by year, our standard of living go down as our dollar buys less and less and it takes more of them just to survive.

What I DON'T GET at all is your characterization of our nation being "wealthy". Since when does a nation that no longer manufactures or exports anything to speak of fall into the category of a "wealthy nation"?
Maybe in comparison to Zimbabwe we are "wealthy" but we are hardly wealthy as compared to South American or Asian nations.

All we have been doing since the 80's and the passage of NAFTA is kidding ourselves thinking that we could still be prosperous as a service economy while we saw our manufacturing plants shut down and relocate in other countries. What a JOKE that has been. All we have seen is things getting worse and worse and WORSE even AFTER the bailouts and the so-called "recovery" when they got even WORSE!

When we were really wealthy back in the 50's and 60's we manufactured the best quality products in the world and we managed to do it while paying workers a decent living wage.

The expansion of government and govt. regulations is what has ruined this country. The regulations and taxes drove companies overseas where it is easier and less expensive to set up and run a business. From an entrepreneurial standpoint they say it is far easier to start a business in Communist China than it is here.

Bottom line is you can't have a wealthy economy without producing things. We don't even produce our own FOOD anymore. Most of THAT is imported. Everything else besides food that we used to produce here clothes, cars, appliances, miscellaneous items used to be "Made in the U.S.A." That is HISTORY as long as things keep going as they have been.

We ALL need to WAKE-UP; SEE WHAT IS GOING ON and DEMAND that our elected officials TURN THINGS AROUND!!!!!
Sadly, our economy now consists of flipping burgers, banking, and up until 2008, selling houses to each other

Old 08-03-2011, 11:05 AM

6,536 posts, read 7,254,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Oh yes we are hated, and frowned upon. However who is it that all these Countries call, when they are in trouble, or a disaster has occured. Yes it is like at that point they automatically expect our help, no questions asked. It is the USA that they call and know that they will get help from us. Then they like us, right!

Maybe with our Government they have a problem and with our political figures. But us wittle guys, they love to have us spent our AMERICAN HARD EARN CASH IN THEIR COUNTRIES!
This reminds me of the time the USA was attacked on 9/11. The Middle-East was a complete party. Men, women, elders, children, etc. jumping in the streets celebrating/partying, loud celebration music in the streets, people thanking their god(s) for it, etc. Once they saw the USA sending their troops that's when all of a sudden all those people quickly came out with white flags and signs that said things like "World Peace", "We Love USA", etc.

Has the USA done bad things around the world and seen as the world bully or cop? Probably but the USA has done nice things too which people quickly forget.

I remember when I was vacationing in the Greek Islands there was this caucasian girl that was having trouble with her rental bike. I approached to offer a hand. To break the ice we talked about how nice the island was. Then, I asked where she was from. She stuttered and wanted to change the topic until she just blurted out "...I am from Texas..." instead of telling me she was from THE USA. I don't blame her. For one reason or the other americans are not as welcomed as people from other countries. I don't think its right for some nice americans to be discriminated for the fault of their leaders or other bad americans.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,526,809 times
Well I really don't see why so mnay turn to us for aid everytime they have a crisis or they decide to rebell against their governament or to settle issue like palestian and Israel problem.Its the same old dependent griping about their providers;really.Has been the same thru out history.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,136,457 times
The average American is a boisterous, boorish, arrogant dupe, a sucka$$. Ignorant, anti-intellectual (proud of it), and gullible. That's why American society is hollow and cultureless, while materialism, consumerism, religion, and building the world's most lethal war machine dominate.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,095,090 times
We could gag all the right wing loonies.

But that would be wrong.

Mostly.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 AM

43,854 posts, read 50,910,174 times
Quote:
Americans disliked around most part of the world, your thoughts
Truthfully, as an American, I don't give a crap.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,095,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Truthfully, as an American, I don't give a crap.
Hence the problem.

It is not in our selfish, strategic interests to not give a crap.

We should at least APPEAR to give a crap.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,328,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
We could gag all the right wing loonies.

But that would be wrong.

Mostly.
And have the world only see people like Pelosi and Obama? That would guarantee the world would see Americans as crazy, arrogant and entitled.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,136,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Hence the problem.

It is not in our selfish, strategic interests to not give a crap.

We should at least APPEAR to give a crap.
Thanks. Selfish is one trait I forgot to put in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies