Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
And have the world only see people like Pelosi and Obama?
I'm not sure how you distilled this specific thing from my very general post...

It is always in our best interests to appear to be nice, even if we have no intention to be in reality.

At the very least we should appear receptive.

There's no downside to that. It doesn't have to commit us to anything. It costs us nothing and prevents sooooo many problems.

Quote:
That would guarantee the world would see Americans as crazy, arrogant and entitled.
I'm really not interested in expressions of political bias...this is about how and why we SHOULD care about our image abroad...because it is to our benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Sadly, "appearance" has been about the only thing of material value in this country for a long, long time.
Hey now!

Don't underestimate the power of appearances. Everyone's perception is their own reality.

If you can control peoples' perceptions, you control their reality.

Jedi mind tricks FTW.

Sadly many in this thread seem to lack the capacity to understand why diplomacy is necessary to our national interests.

Ignorance.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
When I was in europe we told them we were canadian to avoid problems. Europe is the home continent of anti-americanism after all.
That explains why they immediately ask me who our Prime Minister is when I answered "Canadian" while touring the British Isles. They're (overseas countries) are on to you by the way, we've noticed a jaundiced eye whenever we've been asked and given our answer; once we display some identity we're all good again! Haar.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:10 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Hey now!

Don't underestimate the power of appearances. Everyone's perception is their own reality.

Jedi mind tricks FTW.

Sadly many in this thread seem to lack the capacity to understand why diplomacy is necessary to our national interests.

Ignorance.
Yeah, but, it's hard to recruit missionaries from an orgy, and even then, to make them believable.

Charm be damned - full speed ahead!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Hey now!

Jedi mind tricks FTW.

Ignorance.
This oughta do it:

‪Hank Ballard - Finger Poppin' Time‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, but, it's hard to recruit missionaries from an orgy, and even then, to make them believable.

Charm be damned - full speed ahead!
Awesome analogy LOL.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:22 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Who cares what they think. I sure don't. I don't like many Europeans either, so I feel their pain.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
One problem might be that, like with all peoples, nice Americans are usually humble and quiet, the intellectual, peaceful type, while the typical ugly Americans are loud and thus largely determine the image of all Americans abroad.
I have a question:

-The US is probably the most diverse nation in the history of this planet, so what the hell is a "typical American"?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Who cares what they think. I sure don't. I don't like many Europeans either, so I feel their pain.
You really don't get it.

We should ALWAYS care what they think, because it directly affects our interests.

That doesn't mean we have to do what they want or like.

Wars are expensive, or hadn't you noticed?

These are lessons many of us learned in Kindergarten...and some didn't I guess.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
You really don't get it.

We should ALWAYS care what they think, because it directly affects our interests.

That doesn't mean we have to do what they want or like.

Wars are expensive, or hadn't you noticed?

These are lessons many of us learned in Kindergarten...and some didn't I guess.
Their thoughts have no effect on me at all. I couldn't care less what some "subjects" or Islamists feel about us. They aren't even a faint thought going through my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies