Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts of Americans being disliked around most parts of the world ( Europe, Middle East, Asia, Latin countries, etc. )? Some presidents have made decisions that don’t please everybody around the world but why would the citizens get that kind of attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I believe that while America's actions as a country may well be disliked, often with good reason, that dislike often doesn't carry over to feelings about Americans in general.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
They hate us for our freedom

Old 02-21-2011, 12:24 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,190,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post

United States "most admired country globally"

The United States is still the most admired country in the world, according to a survey released October 12.
It has maintained its position at the top for the second year running, despite a significant jostling of positions in the lower ranks among southern European nations.
The Nation Brands Index, compiled by public affairs agency GfK Roper and policy advisor Simon Anholt, measured the global image of 50 countries by polling around 20,000 adults in 20 countries around the world.
It found that although the US took top spot, Germany has switched positions with France to take the position of the second most admired country.
The United Kingdom stayed steady as the fourth most admired, followed by Japan and then Canada, which usurped the sixth place from Italy.

United States "most admired country globally" - News & Advice, Travel - The Independent

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAAA
I think the OP is referring to "Americans", not America the country....

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-22-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 12:24 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,462,737 times
My opinion on this (I live in Europe): The attitude towards Americans changed when the US decided to invade Iraq and this whole "You're either with us or against us" arrogant attitude. People here really hated George Bush. There is a reason he won't visit Europe. Most people don't hate American citizens, though.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
We're the "ugly American". We expect to be catered to--they should all speak English. We don't take the time to learn what gestures mean in their country, and we're belligerent. We want things our way.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
We're the "ugly American". We expect to be catered to--they should all speak English. We don't take the time to learn what gestures mean in their country, and we're belligerent. We want things our way.
That may be one of the many reasons. I think it is wrong of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Sorry little guy but you're a big liar (To lie isn't good, you should be ashamed )
I am talking about americans, the people, not the country. If people didn't like the country they wouldn't be risking their lives to jump the fence. Still, what most of the world things of Americans is not that positive.

Go to the Middle East with a big american flag on your back and walk freely in their streets or any other Islam country. Go to Europe and see how they welcome americans compared to, say, Japanese or latins whatever. You'll see the difference.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...can-usat_x.htm

Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
What are your thoughts of Americans being disliked around most parts of the world ( Europe, Middle East, Asia, Latin countries, etc. )? Some presidents have made decisions that don’t please everybody around the world but why would the citizens get that kind of attitude?
Do you hate the Canadian, the Mexican or the Chinese or whoever, if they have military bases in your backyard? This is what we are doing. Give aid to corrupted governments so we can build bases there.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Go to the Middle East with a big american flag on your back and walk freely in their streets or any other Islam country.
Many of them have good reason to be angry at the US. But...

Quote:
Go to Europe and see how they welcome americans compared to, say, Japanese or latins whatever. You'll see the difference.
I did, and was welcomed and treated quite well, thank you.

Then again, I didn't act like a jerk, didn't run around shouting "USA! USA! USA!", and made a genuine attempt to speak the language.

The Ugly American is becoming a thing of the past. I think mainly this is because our uneducated idiots cannot afford to travel abroad as much.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/02/18...iref=allsearch

Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Who needs to be liked?? I tell my kids all the time, you don't have like me, just respcet and a little fear is all I need!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies