Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This is a bill to be voted upon, nothing is imposed except the legislative shut down by WI Democrat legislators.
The proposed bill is to end collective bargaining, in a state that introduced collective bargaining. Hence the protests. If it were only due to budget concerns, then why didn't we see the same level of protests in CA for furloughs and increased contributions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Why should he compromise with corrupt groups of people who only compromise when it benefits them?
Yes, teachers are corrupt. Wow.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
The proposed bill is to end collective bargaining, in a state that introduced collective bargaining. Hence the protests. If it were only due to budget concerns, then why didn't we see the same level of protests in CA for furloughs and increased contributions?
Post #7, read the link and tell me why it is wrong if you disagree with that put forward by it.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Post #7, read the link and tell me why it is wrong if you disagree with that put forward by it.
I don't care to read it. I already know your position, I find it disgusting. I think that rather than doing away with unions there is a better solution.

I mean why did this not happen in other states with similar budget proposals that PASSED?

It's power play and it's frankly detrimental to the middle class.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
There's plenty of non union states with teachers and they are making decent money with decent benefits.

Why is being in a union so important to a government worker ? After all, why would they need the protection of a union against the government ?

I've asked this over and over and no one wants to go there.
Why are government workers so afraid of the government that they need a union ?

This is like an oxymoron.."government union".

Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I don't care to read it. I already know your position, I find it disgusting. I think that rather than doing away with unions there is a better solution.

I mean why did this not happen in other states with similar budget proposals that PASSED?

It's power play and it's frankly detrimental to the middle class.
As long as blind partisanship is more important than even reading and acknowledging or disproving logical scholarly arguments your side wins, yes?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
If Scott Walker is serious about not spending more money, he will learn the democratic process of compromise and prevent needless loss of WI funds!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
As Sen. Barry Goldwater observed in Conscience of a Conservative, the First Amendment guarantees freedom of association for union members. But "[e]mployers are forbidden to act collusively for sound reasons. The same reasons [should] apply to unions...Let us henceforth make war on all monopolies -- whether corporate or union. The enemy of freedom is unrestrained power" -- whether it be unrestrained management power or unrestrained union power.
American Thinker: Why I Changed My Mind About Unions

Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If Scott Walker is serious about not spending more money, he will learn the democratic process of compromise and prevent needless loss of WI funds!
It would seem the Democrat legislators of WI should remember their oath to their offices and the legislative process. Mob rule is not the rule of law. There is a reason we are a representative Republic and not a Social Democracy where thug unions rule the day!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:31 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
It would seem the Democrat legislators of WI should remember their oath to their offices and the legislative process. Mob rule is not the rule of law. There is a reason we are a representative Republic and not a Social Democracy where thug unions rule the day!
Scott Walker made a promise to curtail spending. If Walker is serious about keeping this promise, he will not let his stubbornness stand in the way of preventing reckless loss of funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies