Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are teachers overpaid
Yes 42 31.82%
No 90 68.18%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
you assume wrong(maybe that was mean not wrong another word for ). most teachers (at least around here) take their summer vacation.
wow...taking 3 months off every year? No teacher can complain about salaries if they actually take summers off. Isn't that just a little bit lazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Some teachers in well performing districts should get paid more than celebrities, they are help building our future. The real answer is celebrities including actors, sports and singers get paid too much. I think teachers should get paid more than celebrities for jobs well done. Public servants deserve better from our country.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
I often hear how difficult a teachers job is. I rarely hear anything about other jobs and how hard they are.
So they have to make some tests and grade some papers. School gets out at 3. SO they can be done by 6 at the latest?
A chemical engineer works 50 weeks a year for exhorbitant hours. A staff engineer at a large oil company with 10 years experience does not get much over $100K.

Oh and no pension and much higher HC costs.

The pay of a teacher is probably high when compared to other jobs. Especially given their nice benefit and retirement package not to mention tenure.

Chemical Engineering Salary - Salary Profile for Chemical Engineer
I don't see how one can quantify a chemical engineer with a teacher. IMO, I would think the chemical engineer has the better, easier job since they 1) get a decent pay 2) don't have to work with children 3) don't have to work with parents of children 4) don't have to deal with government beaurocracy on a daily level (tracking and reports of children) 5) are not constantly underappreciated by society at large.

Chemical engineers do not have a direct hand in the growth and continued advancement of our country like teachers do. Without someone teaching a chemical engineer math and science, an engineer could not be an engineer. Also, most teachers do not get paid $100K. I am sure in extremely expensive areas they do, parts of CA and NY and MA and other uber expensive areas to live, but most professions get paid more in those areas anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I'm sorry but the education I got could never be repaid! The greatest thing about America is our free public education system. God bless our teachers who are over worked and underpaid! I do appreciatte you!
I so agree with this. LOVED practically all of my teachers and they did a wonderful job. I personally think that teacher salaries are average to low compared to other professionals who do not have to deal with environmental factors that teachers have to contend with. Also the pension is well deserved for a life of service to our country. In a way I see teachers sort of like military veterans, they help out our nation and should be rewarded for doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Since teaching is such an easy job, with great hours, benefits and pay, perhaps you should consider a career switch! I will offer you what I have offered every person that complains about how lucky teachers are, I'll help you get started on getting your certification. If you already have a college degree you may be able to start teaching and getting paid in January, through alternate certification. Best thing, the schools that will be hiring are some of the better paying ones, such as many of the schools in the bad part of town in large metropolitan areas, because they are the ones that can't get or keep teachers. It usually takes only a year or two to become fully certified. Funny, I have only ever had a few people take me up on that offer, and only one that made it more than one school year.

Oh yes, you do have to pass a basic test. They want to make sure you are capable of passing high school exams yourself.
I agree with this. I have a relative looking into an alternative teaching program in Chicago working at low performing schools there so those who think it is easy, as long as they had decent grades in college and can pass the test, then they should switch careers.

And FWIW, as I remember people being mad about Chicago teacher pay, the first year of the program in Chicago only pays $30K and they don't get health insurance. After that, if they decide to stay and teach they get a regular teachers salary which is $50K and I really don't think $50K is all that much money. I remember people complaining that in Chicago they get $70K per year. I honestly don't think $70K per year in Chicago is that much money, especially for those teachers who teach in underperforming schools where they have to deal with a lot of environmental factors in regards to homelife of children, lack of parental involvement, lack of concern/care regarding the education of their pupils from home let along psychological or special needs children in their care who are not getting adequate oversight from the medical profession due to poor (not just monetarily poor) parents who don't care enough about their children to ensure they are learning how and what they need to learn to be contributors to society. This falls on the teacher in a lot of ways and $70K is nothing for what they have to do during the day with those children.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Exclamation do you believe teachers are overpaid?

From the replies to this thread, it's quite obvious that many in this forum do hold the opinion that teachers are overpaid and underworked.

So, to them I propose that they become teachers and get in on the gravy train. There is a chronic shortage of teachers for math, science, and special ed in most school districts.

Come on in and join the good life in the educational establishment.

You'll be glad you did.

Or not.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
From the replies to this thread, it's quite obvious that many in this forum do hold the opinion that teachers are overpaid and underworked.

So, to them I propose that they become teachers and get in on the gravy train. There is a chronic shortage of teachers for math, science, and special ed in most school districts.

Come on in and join the good life in the educational establishment.

You'll be glad you did.

Or not.

poor teachers- they have it so much harder then the rest of us-

Their jobs are the only jobs that become tedious and monotonous.

I actually do not blame the teachers for this mentality- it is their union masters.

If teachers unions were eliminated they would be much better off.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Quote:

I actually do not blame the teachers for this mentality- it is their union masters.

Can you think of a career area where people don't think they have it rough? I can't.

The only reason we read so much about teacher pay is that others think teachers have it easy and subsequently complain about what teachers make. What if people constantly complained about chemical engineers' pay? I suspect that chemical engineers would explain to people that their jobs are difficult and they deserve higher pay. However, there are not many people calling for lower-paid chemical engineers (of course I recognize that most teachers are paid by public funds, which makes a big difference, too, but you catch what I'm throwing), at least not that I'm aware of.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
So basically what we have learned from this thread is that everyone's job is the hardest job out there, right?

Looking at this more rationally, here is a list (in order) of the most stressful jobs in America as measured by 11 different stress factors (see the methodology of the study here). So really, looking at it from a more substantive standpoint, teaching is really not a stressful job. I mean, seriously...you have three months off, you sleep in your own bed every night, you never have to travel, you are all but guaranteed to keep your job year over year.

Enlisted Military Soldier
Firefighter
Airline Pilot
Military General
Police Officer
Event Coordinator
Public Relations Executive
Corporate Executive (CEO)
Photojournalist
Taxi Driver

Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:

What exactly is a union master? I was a member of USWA for 35 years and I don`t recall anyone having that position.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Can you think of a career area where people don't think they have it rough? I can't.

The only reason we read so much about teacher pay is that others think teachers have it easy and subsequently complain about what teachers make. What if people constantly complained about chemical engineers' pay? I suspect that chemical engineers would explain to people that their jobs are difficult and they deserve higher pay. However, there are not many people calling for lower-paid chemical engineers (of course I recognize that most teachers are paid by public funds, which makes a big difference, too, but you catch what I'm throwing), at least not that I'm aware of.
That is my point!
And yes- it is because teachers are paid from public funds and are unionized. Collective bargaining against the taxpayer? FDR saw the pitfalls.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
What exactly is a union master? I was a member of USWA for 35 years and I don`t recall anyone having that position.
master, boss.. same difference.

I have no problem with private unions. But collective bargaining against the taxpayers does not sit well with most clear thinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies