Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

Honestly how many threads about the same thing are we going to have in one week? Anyway i put the milage of RR's Under Construction or about to start construction in Each state in 2011 and the 2050 masterbuild out plans... These are Intercity , commuter Rail / Regional , Dual Corridors and small Freight lines....plans.... Paided for by state , Feds and private.... Some states that having nothing UC are doing Urban / Suburban Rail which i did not count....and there also enhancing there systems rather then expanding them...

Virginia

UC 2011 : 0 mi
Current system size : 90 mi
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 116
added Miles of Diesel Rail / Intercity Rail : 517

New Hampshire

UC 2011 : 0
Current system size : 20
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 150
added miles of Intercity Rail : 74

New Jersey

UC 2011 : 140 mi
Current system size : 570 mi
added Miles of DMU Rail : 98
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 346
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 254
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 133

Lower Hudson Valley

Current system size : 156 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 221
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 148

Northeastern PA

Current system size : 0
added Miles of Diesel / Intercity Rail : 193

Southern Tier New York

Current system size : 0
added miles of Diesel : 59
added miles of Intercity Rail : 129

Upstate New York

Current system size : 460
added miles of Intercity Rail : 90

Long Island

UC 2011 : 10 mi
Current system size : 700
added miles of Electrified Rail : 640

Southeastern PA

UC 2011 : 6 mi
Current system size : 450
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 335
added Miles of DMU : 92
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 108

Amish Country

Current system size : 50
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 36
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 108
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 47

Connecticut

UC 2011 : 62 mi
Current system size : 132
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 248
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 74
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 58

Massachusetts

UC 2011 : 140 mi
Current system size : 368
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 270
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 102
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 452

Maine

UC 2011 : 20 mi
Current system size : 40
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 246

Delaware

Current system size : 20 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 249
added miles of Electrified Rail : 37

Maryland

Current system size : 187 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 197
added miles of Electrified Rail : 184

Rhode Island

UC 2011 : 20 mi
Current system size : 30
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 76
added miles of Diesel Rail : 49

Total Added miles : 18,211

Current JCT cities - Cities with 2 or more Regional Rail lines or 1 Regional Rail line and a connecting Rail Transit service

Newark
Philly
Rahway
Trenton
NYC
Boston
Springfield
Norristown
Lansdale
Baltimore
DC
Secaucus

Future JCT Cities

By 2020

Providence
Harrisburg
Allentown
Philpsburg
Beacon,NY
Richmond
Fredrick
Trenton
Wilmington
Camden
New Brunswick,NJ
Danbury
Worcester
Springfield
Paterson
Hackensack
Elizabeth,NJ
Norristown
King of Prussia
Bound Brook
Manville,NJ
Wayne
Lawrence,MA
Salem,MA
Attleboro,MA
Taunton,MA
Monmouth JCT
Norfolk
Hampton Roads

By 2030 - 2040

Dover
New London
Portland,ME
Manchester,NH
Reading
West Chester
White Plains
Tarrytown
Port Chester
Binghamton
Hartford
Waterbury
Newark,DE
Lynchburg
Roanoke
Albany
Rochester
Syracuse
Scranton
York
South Amboy
Perth Amboy
Staten Island
Hudson,NY
Suffern,NY
Lancaster
Fall River
New Bedford
Greenfield,MA
Concord,NH

LIRR
Daily Ridership : 341,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 570,000+)
System size : 700+ mi
Stations : 124
Future upgrades / Expansions : Wading River line Restoration , Central Branch , Montauk Branch , Port Jefferson Branch Electrification , East Side Access Project , City Core Rail line , Sunset Park line

NJT Regional Rail
Daily Ridership : 330,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 750,000+)
System size : 536 mi
Stations : 162 stations
Future Upgrades / Expansions : Flemington line , West Trenton line , Cape May line , Toms River line , Freehold line , Lehigh Valley line , Philpsburg Extension of the Morristown line , Lackawanna line , Pompton line , Sparta line , 5 New Transfer Stations ,more Electrification

MNRR
Daily Ridership : 287,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 620,000+)
System size : 156 mi
Stations : 120
Future upgrades / Expansions : MNRR expansion to Penn Station of the Hudson and New Haven lines , West Shore line , Restoration of the Graham & Beacon lines

MBTA Regional Rail
Daily Ridership : 130,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 642,000+)
System size : 368 mi
Stations : 132
Future Upgrades / Expansions : Restoration of Cape Cod , Newport / Fall River line , New Bedford line , Greenfield line , Concord line , Portsmouth / Newburyport line , Manchester / Lawrence line.... North - South Tunnel , Ayer line , Electrified lines

Septa Regional Rail
Location : Southeastern PA , Northern Delaware , and Southern Jersey
Daily Ridership : 121,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 370,000+)
System size : 450 mi
Stations : 150
Future Upgrades / Expansions : Restoration of West Chester , Reading , Allentown , Stony Branch , Newton lines ....New lines , New Hope ,
Parkersburg Extension of the Thorndale line , Newark / Boothywn line , Coatesville line , Oxford lines

MARC Train
Daily Ridership : 33,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 250,000)
System size : 187 mi
Stations : 43
Future Upgrades / Expansions : LA plata line and Extension of the Brunswick line to Hagerstorm , and Penn line Service to Wilmington , Warminster branch and Harrisburg lines

VRE Regional Rail
Daily Ridership : 17,000 (Projected 2030 Ridership : 167,000)
System size : 90 mi
Stations : 18
Future Upgrades / Extensions : Haymarket , Culpepper , and Richmond lines

CT DOT Regional Rail
Daily Ridership : 135,000 (Projected 2030 Ridership : 690,000)
System size : 32 mi
Stations : 185
Future Upgrades / Extensions : Danbury Electrification , Restoration of the Pittsfield line , Extension of Shoreline East to Westerly,RI , Restoration of the Central Manchester Branch , Restoration of the Waterbury - Hartford line , Restoration of Torrington Branch , Restoration of the Connecticut River branch , Restoration of the Middletown branch , Waterbury Branch upgrades , Restoration of the Thames River / Worcester line , Upgrades to the New Haven line and more stations.

RIDOT Regional Rail
Daily Ridership : Not Known
System size : 14 mi
Stations : 2
Future Upgrades and Extensions : Restoration of the Woonsocket line , Upgrades to the Northeast Corridor (4 tracking) , Restoration of Cape Cod line , Fall River / Newport line , Central RI Amtrak Re-router line.

Amtrak Northeastern Divison
Daily Ridership : 50,000 (Projected 2030 ridership : 520,000)
System size : 2395 mi
Stations : 130
Future Upgrades and Extensions : Lackawanna Corridor , Lehigh Corridor , New Northeast Corridor , New Vermonter route , Downstate Delaware route , Elmira Connection , I-90 High Speed Rail corridor , New Haven - Springfield Intercity Rail corridor , Cape Cod Express , Downeaster extension to Brunswick , Lewiston and Bangor , Upgrades to All Northeast Corridor stations and other lines.

Northeastern Network 2030 Regional Rail Ridership.... 6.5 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Those estimated daily riderships never panned out. I would always reduce the estimate by up to 40% to get the actual number. Unless, of course, gas prices are going to go up very high, talking like $6 or more per gallon, which actually very well could. but still, I doubt that the rails will see that much of an increase. So let's say it's overestimated by 10%

Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
So what I am getting for an answer is betting use of energy resources - especially in high density areas. the thing is rail is already in place in many high density areas. It is utilized, at least during peak hours, and people are OK with it.

Also, there may be some government favors given in the production of rail equipment.

Also, fear of low oil supplies.

It's interesting that some want to force higher gas prices to make rail more palatable in areas where there is low public demand.

Is this accurate?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Those estimated daily riderships never panned out. I would always reduce the estimate by up to 40% to get the actual number. Unless, of course, gas prices are going to go up very high, talking like $6 or more per gallon, which actually very well could. but still, I doubt that the rails will see that much of an increase. So let's say it's overestimated by 10%
They factored in reverse commuting , Newer lines , and TOD....my line grew by 2,000 last year to 9,000.....so its not that hard to imagine those numbers.... Some systems will grow more then others due to how there run and what the states TOD policy is... TOD is a big factor in this and the shift to Railway suburbs.....

Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So what I am getting for an answer is betting use of energy resources - especially in high density areas. the thing is rail is already in place in many high density areas. It is utilized, at least during peak hours, and people are OK with it.

Also, there may be some government favors given in the production of rail equipment.

It's interesting that some want to force higher gas prices to make rail more palatable in areas where there is low public demand.

Is this accurate?
Hmmm , there half full off peak , crammed fill peak......at least in this region... Trains run every 30-60mins hench why there used off peak , they also encourage you to commute off peak... Rail also works in Rural areas , but the towns that are served have to be dense, which is not an issue in this region...

Old 02-22-2011, 02:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Like you, I hate traffic, and I think that we should do more to expand rail service and find ways to make it more efficient. I don't like buses because they get crowded and not comfortable, but trains can be built much wider than what a road will allow, and they do. Which is how Amtrak can have wide, comfortable seats and plenty of aisle space. The key to making crosscountry HSR viable is to pretty much have gas prices at the European level. My fiancee's dad's car costs around $100 (about £60-£70) to fill up when I was there in December. The trains there from Slough to London-Paddington are full up even outside of rush hour back and forth. But remember, they live extremely clustered together gas is expensive as hell, and the roads are narrow and too few because there's a serious lack of space
We're heading to similar population concentrations in the USA as well. Many don't see it, but I do. In fact, if I wanted to buy another abode, it will definitely be a condo on a train line.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
That isn't exactly a fair statement. Airplanes are less fuel-efficient than trains, and they will never surpass the efficiency of a train in moving a given amount of cargo. And the shorter the trip, the efficiency of a plane drops considerably.
And if we want to move 100 cars full of coal, the train rocks. If we want to move 100 people across the country, the plane is a better choice. You take your train if you want, I'll fly.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Rail is more efficient than personal automobiles on so many levels. The amount of roads in rural areas is sickening. Something like 1/3rd of all land in a city is dedicated to roads or parking. The alternative to public transportation is personal automobiles, which promote urban sprawl, and mass consumption of oil. Which puts us in the pocket of people who don't like us, forcing us to get involved in foreign nations(especially the arab world).

A city like NYC uses FAR less energy per capita than less-dense cities, without even trying. NYC could become even more efficient by updating some of their old buildings insulation.

People like their automobiles, cry when theres traffic and demand roads with more lanes, and more highways. The reason cars are as attractive as they are, is because gasoline is relatively cheap. If gasoline was as expensive as it is in most other countries, you would see a very sudden drop in the number of personal automobiles, and a call for more public-transportation and an increasing density of cities.

The real problem with cars is, the real costs of driving are being subsidized by a combination of direct government subsidies, through people who don't personally drive, or people who don't drive often. The gas tax needs to be much higher than it currently is, to pay for the real cost of roads.

I used to work for the railroad, if you look at freight for instance. A loaded train is the equivalent of hundreds of semi trucks. And to move that train takes a fraction of the amount of fuel as it takes to move those semi trucks.

The real problem with rail though, is that it has become so prohibitively expensive to implement that only governments can afford to create the system. Compare that to the first public-transportation systems being entirely privately financed and cheap.

The cost of the system has been bloated by regulations and unions. So the costs are so expensive, there is no real competition. There is just political interests paid for by private companies, who would benefit from the fat government contracts.
Well hot dang, Red, do know about rail traffic north and south out here in the sticks? I guess you don't really like eating, do you? The farmers of the middle states of the US would all have to live in cities and commute in the only available way other than horseback and shanks mares (whoops the same thing there) if we ever start what you seem to be suggesting.

Hey, I just thought that the UN through its Agenda 21 plans to move people out of the middle of the nation and get them all racked and stacked along the coasts. I do wonder what the food will be once they get what they plan since all that part of the nation is to be turned over to wild animals and let go as far as food production is concerned. Maybe the makers of the movie, Soylent Green knew something the rest of us didn't.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Wow. I am pretty conservative thus I am ashamed at the pitiful, baseless, and snarky arguments the anti-rail people (righties?) have to offer in this thread. The lefties are far more persuasive on this issue.

'They want to be like Europe'

'They are snobs'

'It will cost a lot and they like to spend'

Give me a freakin' break.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Is this accurate?
No. Higher gas prices are inevitable. As spread out as Dallas area is, and I wish I had a map of DART Light Rail service from late 90s, check out Dallas Area Rapid Transit’s current map and ongoing development. It speaks about planning for the future, without living in the $1/gallon gasoline of the past (when I moved here). Real estate development is also following the tracks, and understandably so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies