Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
BHO had a choice to make. Let the economy collapse, or stimulate it. Any other person would've had to make the same choice.

You do know food prices are up due to natural disasters, right? So those food prices blamed on Obama means that he is God and can control the weather.

Four main factors are seen as driving prices higher: weather, higher demand, smaller yields and crops diverted to biofuels. Volatile weather patterns often attributed to climate change are wreaking havoc with some harvests. Heavy rains in Australia damaged wheat to the extent that much of its usually high-quality crop has been downgraded to feed, experts noted.

Ah hell with it, you're right, let's just blame Obama.

1. Obama made the wrong choice with "stimulus". We now have more unemployed, higher prices, and higher debt.

2. To make assumptions that Obama's actions turned out better than the alternatives is to make presumptions that are impossible to predict. We are left to evaluate what is real (high unemployment, high debt, high prices) as speculation of the what may have been is OPINION, which may or may not be true. The fact remains that his policies DID NOT ACHIEVE THIER INTENDED RESULTS. We know that for sure. When an action fails, a wise man evaluates those actions, concedes defeat, and looks at alternative solutions.

3. The facts remain that Obama's actions HAVE MADE THE ECONOMIC SITUATION WORSE. That cannot be disputed.

4. Alternatives, such as tax cuts, elimination of payroll tax short term, and reduction in corporate taxes WAS THE OTHER MAJOR OPTION INSTEAD of "stimulus".

5. "Stimulus" has never worked in 20th century history. See the Great Depression in the US and 1985-1995 JAPAN.

6. Tax cuts historically have resulted in increased economic activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Where most see calmity others see opportunity.

I've made some nice stock and currency trades over the past two years. One thing I learned from the recession of 2001-2 is buying stocks when everybody is running scared in the other direction is one of the moves one can make.
warren buffet has a great line about playing the market. when people get greedy i panic and when people panic...... i get greedy.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
The country will be in better shape when it gains the 300,000 jobs every month for the next three years - since that's what it will take to get it back to the levels it was when Bush left office.
You really do not like that question, do you?

I'll say it, then: It is better to live in economy with job growth than one with job loss. It's surely not great, but if the best complaint you can come up with is that "you're not cleaning up GWBs mess fast enough", then I think you may want to look into who's really to blame.

Did you expect an 800,000 jobs/month loss rate to just stop in February 2009? Because that would make you the only one, I think.

Another fun number (and we know those don't lie): 2010 saw more private-sector jobs created than the net growth in private sector jobs from 2000-2008. It's not enough, but it's a damn sight better than nothing.

And personally, yes - I'm doing fine, thankyouverrymuch.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM

709 posts, read 656,700 times
My life is horrible!

I am still paying for gas in my car, and for my mortgage. WTF Obama?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. Obama made the wrong choice with "stimulus". We now have more unemployed, higher prices, and higher debt.

2. To make assumptions that Obama's actions turned out better than the alternatives is to make presumptions that are impossible to predict. We are left to evaluate what is real (high unemployment, high debt, high prices) as speculation of the what may have been is OPINION, which may or may not be true. The fact remains that his policies DID NOT ACHIEVE THIER INTENDED RESULTS. We know that for sure. When an action fails, a wise man evaluates those actions, concedes defeat, and looks at alternative solutions.

3. The facts remain that Obama's actions HAVE MADE THE ECONOMIC SITUATION WORSE. That cannot be disputed.

4. Alternatives, such as tax cuts, elimination of payroll tax short term, and reduction in corporate taxes WAS THE OTHER MAJOR OPTION INSTEAD of "stimulus".

5. "Stimulus" has never worked in 20th century history. See the Great Depression in the US and 1985-1995 JAPAN.

6. Tax cuts historically have resulted in increased economic activity.

To make assumptions that Obama's actions turned out better than the alternatives is to make presumptions that are impossible to predict. We are left to evaluate what is real (high unemployment, high debt, high prices) as speculation of the what may have been is OPINION, which may or may not be true. The fact remains that his policies DID NOT ACHIEVE THIER INTENDED RESULTS. We know that for sure. When an action fails, a wise man evaluates those actions, concedes defeat, and looks at alternative solutions.

Looks like you answered that pretty well.

Since he didn't do it the other way, guess we'll never know.
Of course if the economy had completely collapsed that way, he'd be blamed for that, too. I dunno.Complete economic ruin for millions of peoople or what we have now...I guess it's in how you define "worse."

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You really do not like that question, do you?

Is it better to gain 1 job than lose 1...of course.

I'll believe those numbers when they get finished making all their recalculations.

But the topic here is the difference between two years ago and now. It's not have we gains back a few jobs recently.

If I seem not to want to answer a question that's totally irrelevant to the topic, that's just me I guess.

Could that be why I answered by relating it to 2008? You BETCHA!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Did you visit the link? It doesn't make Barry look good, everything is going in the wrong direction under his so called leadership.

of course it doesnt make bambam look good. the point is, is that freedom has been a very short thing coming from the goverment, and has not been very much in effect for the american public since 1913.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Better off than we would be under McCain/Palin, Apsolutely!
Casper
Same result. Government manipulation will continue. Only thing that would have changed is the faces of the ones getting my money for their causes.

We'd still be illegally occupying sovereign nations in the Middle East, the theft packages would have still happened, illegals would still be invading our country, and the economy would still be in the toilet.
The Stepford voters have spoken.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
If you believed that was a promise, the reflection is entirely on your credulity and naivete.

Those of us who actually think critically understood it for what it was. A projection.
Absolutely. It was a projection.

A broken promise is not so bad, but a failed projection is really bad --- so that just makes Obama look worse.

We know that he believes God guides him. Maybe he wasn't paying attention that day.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sure I can, McCAin was behind the bailouts and has publically stated that President Obama did the right thing, and of course the right threw him under the bus for it. Palin, oh please she couldn't think her way out of a paper bag, sure she would have been entertaining in a morbid sort of way, but she is no great thinker.
Maybe the GOP can run someone better this time around but at this pont the GOP is not making many friends amoung the Independents so that does not look real good, I looking forward to 2016, fresh met as they say, until then I see Obama staying in office.
Casper

McCain was a weak candidate and Obama is a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies