Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM

562 posts, read 660,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
I believe any races that start segregating themselves are racist. Why there is a need to separate yourself from others just because they dont look like you, talk like you or even have the same religion as you. As long you respect me, you will get the same respect.
Slavery is so yesterday. If the irish, or the chinese can make a life over here..why can you? stop complaining and start working hard!

p/s i am not white either
Quite right. My family came here from Ireland and Great Britain and are prospering because of hard work and dedication. The Irish and Chinese suffered greatly early on in this country, yet they aren't crying about it. Also, I would like to quote and comment on the following:

Quote:
is there no White Entertainment Television? Because, it's already mostly white. And when there is a black person, Hispanic, Latino, or other race on TV, they play a criminal or a street person, a stereotype, or just comic relief. Watch some shows on primetime. Sure you'll get the one token minority, but that's it.
I'd like to see you tell this to Bill Cosby, Will Smith, Richard Pryor or any other black American which has made it big in television or movies. Sherman Hemsley's (AKA George Jefferson on television) character on television shows what a black man can do if he puts his mind to it, and without affirmative action. "George" was self made with his own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 110 times
You are from rural central Texas, and unfortunately you are living up to all of the unfair stereotypes that the region has. While you have skills in vocabulary and grammar, you have little or real-life education. This is not a scientific argument. You cannot simply dissect the problem, analyze it, hypothesize, etc from way outside of it if you have never truly experienced it. You are seeing it from an outsiders viewpoint, and you continue to make generalizations based on little or no knowledge/experience. In other words, you are prejudiced. You are seeing it from a biased viewpoint. You see it one way and one way only.

You have unknowingly proved my point about history. You state that
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
You will see almost no vagrants, petty criminals, middle or lower class workers, housewives, town drunks, village peasants, or anyone else who was not a recognized name at the time.
Basically it seems that you are calling minorities ( and possibly women) vagrants and criminals. Racism anyone?
Also, you state
Quote:
History is always written by the people in charge. American History books are full of white names because it was white people that were the origins of the people who dominate the population of the country when these books were written..
Yes, white men were in control because they enslaved the black poulation, remember? And, maybe you should check you facts: in many areas of the South, the black population was equal to or exceeded the white population. Maybe there could have been some wonderful history made by blacks, but the white population made sure this would not happen. Also you talk about how people who put the money up get the acclaim instead of those deserving of it. Um, isn't that pretty much stealing?

The point about not feeling slighted about not have white people in African Tribal History books (source, please) is just odd. You said that those people were not considered important enough to include. Well, you are right. Those people had little effect or totally exploited the population of Africa. On the other hand, black people contributed greatly to our society! How could you even suggest that they did not. Also, African and African American are very different.

Quote:
A word is only as powerful as the intention expressed or received. Not every utterance of a word is identical in intent. The N-word was used pejoratively in historical times because there was an underlying contempt of a race. The hate and contempt would have existed regardless of the term applied.
When would a white person say the N-word with a good intention? That makes little or no sense. But I'll hear the argument (again) about how they can say it, so we want to say it. Of course you could never understand the N-word. It's impossible, so do not even try. You cannot argue things that you obviously have never experienced. Were you ancestors slaves? Were they forced over here? Were they lyched? Were they considered "property?" Were they legally segregated into run-down schools and communities until the 1960s? Are they still trying to catch up in income and education? No? Then don't even try to understand.

Finally, you say that this level of contempt and hatred is almost gone from our society. You are half right. While you do not see it as much, it is still there. People just got better in hiding it and justifying it...people like you.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:49 AM

20 posts, read 77,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Quite right. My family came here from Ireland and Great Britain and are prospering because of hard work and dedication. The Irish and Chinese suffered greatly early on in this country, yet they aren't crying about it..
The Irish did have it hard at first, but Great Britain? You are actually comparing your ancestors from the British Isles with African American? I bet that your ancestors were wonderful, hardworking people that helped our country. But, guess what, so were the first bloack people. Actually, they were EXTREMELY hardworking. Unfortunately, they were forced to be slaves, so that hardwork couldn't pay off until after the Civil War. Of course, that was a long time ago. But remember, segregation was legal in many areas until the 1960s. High-ranking government officials endorsed it. That isn't too long ago. I don't care how dedicated and hardworking you are; if you are not permitted to go to decent schools live in a decent area, or have a decent job, you cannot get very far.

Quote:
I'd like to see you tell this to Bill Cosby, Will Smith, Richard Pryor or any other black American which has made it big in television or movies. Sherman Hemsley's (AKA George Jefferson on television) character on television shows what a black man can do if he puts his mind to it, and without affirmative action. "George" was self made with his own business.
Okay, you have named 4 entertainers, congratulations. Look into some of their histories to see all of the obstacles that they had to overcome. "George" was a fictional character, but hey who cares? But enough about entertainment. Let's talk about politics. How many black senators are there? How many have there been in history? Almost the same number as the number of entertainers that you listed. Hmmmm...why is that?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
I think those guys fall under the original poster's category of "comic relief"...

Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 AM

451 posts, read 835,624 times
I used to get annoyed by the double standard I don't know about other races but alot of negroes like to play the victim. Some even think they have a right to call white people names because of all the "injustice of the past". Some are just flat out prejudice as are some people of all races. I guess it just boils down to ignorance.

I think anyone who uses racial slurs just lowers themself.

Can't we all just get along?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:58 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Default Some things I want to comment on

Quote:
Somebody sent to this to me and I wanted to see if you guys and girls on this forum agree.

I'm not RACIST, but it's true.

You call me:
"redneck"
"Hillbilly"
"Slaker"
"Cracker"
"******"
"Whitey"
"Gringo"
"Sage"
and you think it's OK.

But when I call you:
jungle bunny
spear chunker
coon
wet back
jiggaboo
porch monkey
sand ******
rag head
towel head
Camel Jockey
Spook
slant eyes
or *****
you call me a racist.
Most people would say that anyone who uses these terms are indeed racist. And no they aren't all white.

Quote:
-You have the United Negro College Fund.
Good luck telling PRIVATE DONORS how to spend their money. If you want to start a white college fund, then do it. If anyone call you a racist or tries to stop you, fight for your rights. You're not going to do any good whining about it in emails or on message boards.

Quote:
-You have Martin Luther King Day.

-You have Black History Month.

-You have Cesar Chavez Day.

-You have Yom Hashoah

-You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi
You have Columbus day, St. Patricks day, Oktoberfest etc... Nobody is preventing whites from participating in MLK day or black history month. Why do so many alienate themselves?

Quote:
-You have the NAACP.
Oh and whites don't have groups that cater to them? That's news to me!

Quote:
-You have BET

-If we had WET(white entertainment television) ...we'd be racist.
BET is simply catering to a demographic group. It is no different than MTV, Lifetime Network, or FX. Do you want to get rid of those too?

Quote:
-Did you know that some high school students decided to make a club for only the white students because the other ethnicities had them. they all got sent to court for being racist but the african-american, Latino, and Asia clubs were not even questioned.

If this story is true, I agree that the white group shouldn't have been sent to court. However with that said, while in highschool there were groups that were by default all white. I didn't dare try to join the German club because a lot of people in that group were indeed racist. So just because it doesn't officially exclude non-whites doesn't mean that they are open to them.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
I believe any races that start segregating themselves are racist. Why there is a need to separate yourself from others just because they dont look like you, talk like you or even have the same religion as you. As long you respect me, you will get the same respect.
Slavery is so yesterday. If the irish, or the chinese can make a life over here..why can you? stop complaining and start working hard!

p/s i am not white either
Hello. I am not trying to be rude; just curious. What race are you? If you feel uncomfortable, I understand. Sorry if this is an awkward question.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM

562 posts, read 660,032 times
The Irish did have it hard at first, but Great Britain? You are actually comparing your ancestors from the British Isles with African American? I bet that your ancestors were wonderful, hardworking people that helped our country. But, guess what, so were the first bloack people. Actually, they were EXTREMELY hardworking. Unfortunately, they were forced to be slaves, so that hardwork couldn't pay off until after the Civil War.

*** I was giving my background, which is Irish and British. The Irish are who I was speaking of. As well, black people were SOLD by their own people in Africa, and that is why it was called a Slave TRADE. Blacks only have their own ancestors to blame for their slavery. Current blacks should stop crying about slavery and other such nonsense as it doesn't pertain to them. Filing law suits against whites for 'retribution' is ridiculous as anyone who is alive at this moment isn't held responsible for what happened in the past. My grandparents for instance weren't even on this soil when slavery was in effect. So am I supposed to pay them money for 'retribution' for white mens past transgressions? Hardly!

Okay, you have named 4 entertainers, congratulations. Look into some of their histories to see all of the obstacles that they had to overcome. "George" was a fictional character, but hey who cares?

*** Yes George was fictional, but the SUCCESS, Sherman was NOT. Yes 4, but would it help if I named 500? No, it wouldn't because then the comeback would be that there were MILLIONS of white entertainers. There's always plenty more to bicker about for those who wish to keep fueling the fires. Idiots like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton do nothing to HELP the blacks, they only HURT them by their own ignorant actions.

But enough about entertainment. Let's talk about politics. How many black senators are there? How many have there been in history? Almost the same number as the number of entertainers that you listed. Hmmmm...why is that?

YES, let's talk about POLITICS. How many black senators? Who cares! Let me tell you if Colin Powell had run for President, I would have voted for him. Not because he is black, but because I think he would do a good job. You have to understand - this country was founded by White Men. The country is only a couple hundred years old, and you expect things to change that fast? It takes sometimes a thousand years for change to occur as history has shown in other countries of the world.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:22 PM

20 posts, read 77,685 times
Quote:
YES, let's talk about POLITICS. How many black senators? Who cares! Let me tell you if Colin Powell had run for President, I would have voted for him. Not because he is black, but because I think he would do a good job. You have to understand - this country was founded by White Men. The country is only a couple hundred years old, and you expect things to change that fast? It takes sometimes a thousand years for change to occur as history has shown in other countries of the world.
Actually, I believe that the first people here were the Native Americans. While the actual country is young, the civilization is not...but don't even get me started on that. Another exploited people for the benefit of the white man....

You say it takes a thousand years? Well, that is just a terrible thing especially in our "enlightened" society. A THOUSAND years to learn to live in harmony...or at least just not abuse each other? Wow! Maybe if we tried a little harder we could get that figure down a bit, don't ya think? Also, where did that figure come from? Citation needed. And just because things like that worked a thousand years ago does not mean that is how they should work now. Hopefully, we have evolved as a society a little.

By the way I believe the answer is 5 US senators. If I am wrong I apologize.

Lastly, I still like you even though we disagree.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw123 View Post
Hello. I am not trying to be rude; just curious. What race are you? If you feel uncomfortable, I understand. Sorry if this is an awkward question.
Never rude. I am asian. My wife is white. My wife family side has some asian, black mix in them.

Does it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies