Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times

Advertisements

I am 66 and with an HMO/MEDICARE combo like millions of others. I had health insurance from my former employer until age 65, then it stopped according to my contract with them. I was dreading the change, but have been pleasantly surprised. When I go to the doctor I pay a $10 co-pay. When I am admitted to a hospital I pay a $300 co-pay. I have to take 6 different medications and I end up in the dreaded donut hole where I pay full price until I leave it and only pay a 5% co-pay on any type of drug. All in all this medicare plan has paid for more than my former Blue Cross/Blue Shield did. I can't complain at all. Sure, I would like the government to eliminate the donut hole, but everything considered, I am satisfied. I don't see what people are complaining about, unless they had some employer self insured plan that paid everything! And as far as those stories about all those americans without insurance...No hospital turns away anyone with an emergency condition, insurance or not! So, are they really without help...NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The operative word there is "attempt". Any "attempt" by the federal government usually leads to corruption and a false sense of safety. I tend to put my faith more in the individual than the government.

So we give up because the government is corrupt instead of removing the corruption?

Let's look at the world you propose:

So the medication prescribed to treat your illness has caused you permanent harm? Tough luck mate but you can't expect those who don't suffer your illness to pay to test and regulate the treatment(s) prescribed for your illness. And extend this thru a number of different cases and so what if the average life span starts dipping into the 40s where it once was, we wouldn't want any intrusion by the government, right?

Your kids are of school age? I hope you can afford to send your kids to private school, after all, you can't expect those without kids to fund public education for your children, a little personal responsibility please.

Can't get parts for that new car you bought last year because the company quit the US? Too bad it's worthless now but don't expect the government to require parts be supplied for the car you bought, it's your problem.

This could go on ad infinitum. If you believe the sole purpose of the government should be national defense exactly what is it you think there'd be left that was worth defending?

Last edited by burdell; 08-07-2007 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
How willingly? I mean the proof is in the pudding. I think it is fairly common knowledge that the beaureaucratic machine that is the government creates red tape and huge costs. You will sit back and ***** about FEMA, the military, the spending, and the list goes on and on.

Wouldn't it make more sense to fix the government than just give up and assume it can't be fixed?

Quote:
But when it comes to health care, hey, let's hand our lives over to the government! I brought it up previously, I heard this one the other day that in England if you are a smoker, the government will deny you surgery until you can prove that you quit smoking. I would love to see if this is actually true or just a proposal but that is not taking care of the people.

The argument would carry more weight if you knew if it was true or not. And do you believe that similar 'medical' decisions aren't made every day by lawyers and statisticians? What's the difference who's making medical decsions based on many things other than medical factors? The reult is still lousy healthcare.

Quote:
Let's see if we can name one thing the government does better than the private sector.
Underachieve yet endure?

Make empty promises?

Hey! That's two things

Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So we give up because the government is corrupt instead of removing the corruption?

Let's look at the world you prose:

So the medication prescribed to treat your illness has caused you permanent harm? Tough luck mate but you can't expect those who don't suffer your illness to pay to test and regulate the treatment(s) prescribed for your illness. And extend this thru a number of different cases and so what if the average life span starts dipping into the 40s where it once was, we wouldn't want any intrusion by the government, right?

Your kids are of school age? I hope you can afford to send your kids to private school, after all, you can't expect those without kids to fund public education for your children, a little personal responsibility please.

Can't get parts for that new car you bought last year because the company quit the US? Too bad it's worthless now but don't expect the government to require parts be supplied for the car you bought, it's your problem.

This could go on ad infinitum. If you believe the sole purpose of the government should be national defense exactly what is it you think there'd be left that was worth defending?
You're assuming that once the government doesn't control these things, then noone would. If there's a market for used care parts, then someone will fill the need. The public school issue is another ball of wax. With less taxes being paid, many more will be able to afford private schools.

This too can go on ad infinitum. Whatever you consider a requirement for government intervention, I can find a possible private solution.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:34 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You won't remove corruption from government, just like you'll never rid the world of dishonest people. One must avoid interaction with these people, just as one must avoid putting responsibilities in the hands of government.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You're assuming that once the government doesn't control these things, then noone would. If there's a market for used care parts, then someone will fill the need. The public school issue is another ball of wax. With less taxes being paid, many more will be able to afford private schools.

This too can go on ad infinitum. Whatever you consider a requirement for government intervention, I can find a possible private solution.

Possibly, maybe, could be don't count.

Admit it or not, like it or not, your life is touched everyday by things paid for by others and for the most part they've improved our standard of living. As in a manufacturer is required to siupply parts for vehicles thy've sold whether there's a market or not, that's not a possibility it's a fact. 'Possible' solutions are just that, possible, and you can't take 'possible' to the bank.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You won't remove corruption from government, just like you'll never rid the world of dishonest people. One must avoid interaction with these people, just as one must avoid putting responsibilities in the hands of government.

If you really have so little faith in government why in hell are you so willing to task it with national defense? Sounds like you don't consider it important if you 'd give the respomsibility to a body you have such a low opinion of.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:34 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Isn't this section supposed to be about health care???

Old 08-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Isn't this section supposed to be about health care???
It was but people think if we can blow up the world 20X over it's not enough, we should spend billion$ more to make it 30X over, but if you need a prescription drug to survive and can't afford it tough luck dude, you're on your own.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I am 66 and with an HMO/MEDICARE combo like millions of others. I had health insurance from my former employer until age 65, then it stopped according to my contract with them. I was dreading the change, but have been pleasantly surprised. When I go to the doctor I pay a $10 co-pay. When I am admitted to a hospital I pay a $300 co-pay. I have to take 6 different medications and I end up in the dreaded donut hole where I pay full price until I leave it and only pay a 5% co-pay on any type of drug. All in all this medicare plan has paid for more than my former Blue Cross/Blue Shield did. I can't complain at all. Sure, I would like the government to eliminate the donut hole, but everything considered, I am satisfied. I don't see what people are complaining about, unless they had some employer self insured plan that paid everything! And as far as those stories about all those americans without insurance...No hospital turns away anyone with an emergency condition, insurance or not! So, are they really without help...NO!

You don't see what everyone else is complaining about because you are enjoying a single-payer system, called medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies