Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The disdain for education existed long before Wisconsin made the headlines.
Haven't you ever heard that 'common sense' trumps a college degree?
I think the disdain for education is not in getting educated,
but rather how our education system is not working
No matter how much money we put into it.

Not every one is meant to go to college, nor should. The unfortunate thing now,
is there are not enough manufacturing, labor type jobs out there.
A lot of folks want to work with their hands, with the skill that requires.
Simple life doesn't necessarily mean stupid life.

We need to reduce the K-12 to K-10 and have mandatory work study programs
with credit and apprenticeships. We didn't need "No child left behind".
We certainly don't need a 4.3 Billion dollar "Race to the Top Fund".
These federal programs are filled with abuse.

There is a retention problem in particular fields, not a graduating problem.
Math and Science happens to be one of many.
And, there are also not enough jobs out there for college graduates.

Obama's goal of having more college graduates is really misplaced.

Why Did 17 Million Students Go to College? - Innovations - The Chronicle of Higher Education

And for goodness sake - Get rid of the Department of Education.
There are some things the Federal Government does well. Education isn't one of them
Bring it back to the local level where it belongs. And get rid of all the administrative, bureaucratic costs that it adds to the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
I'm a person with a post college education, and I have no animosity towards education per se, but I do find government schools abysmal. I'm completely against the constant money grab from schools and the overbloated teachers' unions. If we must have government schools, I believe we should have a voucher program that would include religious and secular schools.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
You guys keep on harping on the same old line "I'm again the government, unions, blah blah blah" This thread is not about that. This is about the hostility towards any form of intellectualism. Whether it takes the form of rejecting scientific theories, mocking scientific studies, being proud of only speaking one language, refusing to learn about foreign nations, a mocking attitude towards anyone who wants to learn something new, and an attitude of "I already know everything, don't need to learn from some fancy pants elitist". Sure, you'll justify it by politicizing it, but in the end it's a general disdain for intellectualism.

I also notice that only certain members automatically assumed a defensive attitude.

Last edited by Savoir Faire; 02-23-2011 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You guys keep on harping on the same old line "I'm again the government, unions, blah blah blah" This thread is not about that. This is about the hostility towards any form of intellectualism. Whether it takes the form of rejecting scientific theories, mocking scientific studies, being proud of only speaking one language, refusing to learn about foreign nations, a mocking attitude towards anyone who wants to learn something new, and an attitude of "I already know everything, don't need to learn from some fancy pants elitist". Sure, you'll justify it by politicizing it, but in the end it's a general disdain for intellectualism.

I also notice that only certain members automatically assumed a defensive attitude.
There's the problem.

What's the definition of intellect/intellectualism?

Is it restricted only to book-learning and having opinions/acting as arm-chair gurus about world affairs, sciences, etc. and a taste for art and literature?

Or does it pay the bills?

Can an intellectual live in a neighborhood full of non-intellectuals and get along?

Or does a self-proclaimed intellectual have to live among other self-proclaimed intellectuals so they can pee on those who have no time for art, literature and discussions of how to save the world? All in theory, of course, because action really isn't something a self-proclaimed intellectual is good at. Unless it's self-serving.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with going to college or getting a post-grad (or several) degrees.

What is wrong, however, is assuming that the world can operate on theories and what intellectuals "think" should be, is the only way it "should be".

Asshats combined with theories and talking about how they "mentally" connect or "feel" about an issue: gets nothing done.

If emotions come in to play: no longer intellectual.

Someone said having "street smarts" is a joke, in comparison to "intellect". Well, take an intellectual out of their bubble and what do they have other than an over-inflated ego, a lack of being able to cope with those who aren't perceived to be as "intellectual" as they are.... and where are they going to get a job when they think they are smarter than the guy who owns the business (and only has a 4 year degree, or, HORROR, no degree) they are applying to work for?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
There's the problem.

What's the definition of intellect/intellectualism?

Is it restricted only to book-learning and having opinions/acting as arm-chair gurus about world affairs, sciences, etc. and a taste for art and literature?

Or does it pay the bills?

Can an intellectual live in a neighborhood full of non-intellectuals and get along?

Or does a self-proclaimed intellectual have to live among other self-proclaimed intellectuals so they can pee on those who have no time for art, literature and discussions of how to save the world? All in theory, of course, because action really isn't something a self-proclaimed intellectual is good at. Unless it's self-serving.

There is nothing wrong with going to college or getting a post-grad (or several) degrees.

What is wrong, however, is assuming that the world can operate on theories and what intellectuals "think" should be, is the only way it "should be".

Asshats combined with theories and talking about how they "mentally" connect or "feel" about an issue: gets nothing done.

If emotions come in to play: no longer intellectual.

Someone said having "street smarts" is a joke, in comparison to "intellect". Well, take an intellectual out of their bubble and what do they have other than an over-inflated ego, a lack of being able to cope with those who aren't perceived to be as "intellectual" as they are.... and where are they going to get a job when they think they are smarter than the guy who owns the business (and only has a 4 year degree, or, HORROR, no degree) they are applying to work for?

Really this whole thread should be boiled down to 'educated' vs. 'common sense'

and frankly it's just like the nature vs. nurture argument.

Ideally, it should be BOTH.

Being wholly one or the other is ridiculous really. It is such a small minority out there that is "overly educated" to the point of being the socially stunted rainman type...

the "lockstep liberalism" crap is just that. Regurgitated bs.

and frankly there aren't as many folks out there with much common sense but there are more that have some 'street smarts'.... I wish we all had it all.

Whole balance is ideal. *sigh* but obviously that's just too much to ask of most folks.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 25,070 times
"For one, college isn't particularly difficult, it doesn't require all that much to get a degree - when I went, I worked 40-55 hours, had more than enough time to study and I partied a moderate amount. And I majored in sciences with long hours in labs. "

Interesting. I would like to know how you accomplished this since it wasn't that difficult to you.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There isn't. You don't understand the other side of the argument because you're looking through the lens of your liberal glasses. We're AGAINST overpaid state teachers leeching off the taxpayers without contributing towards a good quality education. A good quality education, you know, something that doesn't involve liberal social engineering but instead concentrates on maths, science, reading, and English? Subjects that Americans fall short on? But hey why should anyone, including me, waste our time explaining to you. You come off as a hyper-partisan liberal who sees the world purely in black and white, no shades of grey which there is a lot of concerning your post
Spelling is important too.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 PM

your daughter should have challenged that grade if she felt it was unfairly grade.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM

"punishing 5 year old boys for sexual harassment for kissing a classmate on a bus"

blame this on lawsuit happy parents

"

Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Because the end game of liberalism is control. they don’t ignore facts, the embrace whatever process leads to the end they desire.

they understand that baking a cake requires broken eggs. A messed up education system that leads to liberalism being the dominant political philosophy is not a problem but an opportunity to expand their ideology.

It is sick. It is deceptive. But none the less, it is very true.
i'd guess it's likely closer to the truth for the top top leaders of liberalism. ...... on the other hand, the noobs and the underlings, especiallly the noobs, are by and large misguided souls. plenty of right-wingers admit to being left-wing in their youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies