Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You thought wrong.
There's always one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
For starters, we aren't Nigeria.
What is stopping us from becoming Nigeria? Environmentalists, laws and regulations getting in the way? Oil business there has been thriving though, no? If you can drill, you drill... damn those environment control freaks and the people who happen to populate those areas.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:44 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What an excellent idea! We need more drilling to get to the hard to reach places where there is still lots of oil! Consequences be damned!

Yep, there are still many more beaches that need to have oil splashing up on their shores.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The problem is that we don't have enough supply to meet the demand, or even increase supply by 10%.

As long as the middle east has a large quantity of oil, the unrest in that part of the world will lead to increased speculation costs, regardless of how much or where we drill.

The answer is to lower our oil needs by 30%. That would increase world oil supplies because we are the single largest importer and user of oil in the world.

Go to electrical on cars, natural gas on trucks, oil for synthetics and the older cars on the road, and increase the use of coal, nuclear, wind, and other alternative electrical resources. Also use oil shale, start building that industry up by giving them the subsidies of the oil companies in the United States already.

Thats not a green answer, thats a sensible response to a problem
no one really knows what our reserves are. Since the ability to access known reserves are so restricted oil companies look for oil whee they know they can get at it. 30% decrease in the use of oil would criple the country while providing cheap energy for China. I am sure they would appreciate thegesture.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ I didn't blame Bush but many people did since he did launch two Wars in the middle east and another poster on here is actually blaming Obama for not making us energy independent in the scant 25 months he's been in office! I was responding to that since practically every thread on this forum is now full of Obama haters who blame him for everything.
As the Bush haters blamed bush for everything

Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
no one really knows what our reserves are. Since the ability to access known reserves are so restricted oil companies look for oil whee they know they can get at it. 30% decrease in the use of oil would criple the country while providing cheap energy for China. I am sure they would appreciate thegesture.
Oil companies said this 3 years ago, under the Bush administration...

IF all of the restrictions were immediately lifted on offshore drilling and drilling in wildlife preserves, and IF they found oil in these places they haven't explored it would still take them at minimum 4 YEARS for a single drop of that possible oil to reach the markets.

Not to mention that even the oil companies have said that their own estimates show that there isn't enough oil left in the continental United States or off shore to even meet 10% of todays demand, not counting that demand increases yearly from other countries and our own.

Oil is a stupid idea to keep going after. I'm all for drilling safely, and I'm all for coal and other good sources of energy. But oil reserves are so large in unstable regions of the globe that oil speculation will never be effected by massive drilling efforts that may or may not supply enough to lower the price of gas 20 cents per gallon.

Its time we move on folks, oil is last centuries technology. Not saying we won't need oil, we will always need more and more of it for synthetics and things of that nature, but for transportation, its seen its hayday.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Great! So, the best bet is to shoot in the dark. Just make sure you shoot only self in the foot and don't become a nuisance to others.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Oil companies said this 3 years ago, under the Bush administration...

IF all of the restrictions were immediately lifted on offshore drilling and drilling in wildlife preserves, and IF they found oil in these places they haven't explored it would still take them at minimum 4 YEARS for a single drop of that possible oil to reach the markets.

Not to mention that even the oil companies have said that their own estimates show that there isn't enough oil left in the continental United States or off shore to even meet 10% of todays demand, not counting that demand increases yearly from other countries and our own.

Oil is a stupid idea to keep going after. I'm all for drilling safely, and I'm all for coal and other good sources of energy. But oil reserves are so large in unstable regions of the globe that oil speculation will never be effected by massive drilling efforts that may or may not supply enough to lower the price of gas 20 cents per gallon.

Its time we move on folks, oil is last centuries technology. Not saying we won't need oil, we will always need more and more of it for synthetics and things of that nature, but for transportation, its seen its hayday.
Oil has seen it's hey day for transportation? LMAO! Yeah tell that to all the suburban housewives I see driving extended Yukons, Escalades, and Infiniti QX56's!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha! Take one look at the cars coming out nowadays......for every smart car or gas efficient car there are 10 behemoth SUV's that get terrible gas mileage being sold. That's capitalism at it's best! Providing products that the market aka stupid lazy uniformed consumers demand!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Oil has seen it's hey day for transportation? LMAO! Yeah tell that to all the suburban housewives I see driving extended Yukons, Escalades, and Infiniti QX56's!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha! Take one look at the cars coming out nowadays......for every smart car or gas efficient car there are 10 behemoth SUV's that get terrible gas mileage being sold. That's capitalism at it's best! Providing products that the market aka stupid lazy uniformed consumers demand!
I'm not sure where you live in Cali, but I know there are a lot of well to do folks out there, it costs a lot to live in your state.

But SUV sales are down nationally, have been for some time. Most folks are buying cars, and efficient SUV's.

Times they are a changin'

Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Great! So, the best bet is to shoot in the dark. Just make sure you shoot only self in the foot and don't become a nuisance to others.
Lol, how about opening exploration to see what we have, how is that shooting yourself in the foot? Kids, they are too funny!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies