Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
The President can not just ignore a law it must be repealed and that must be done by the courts. He can give his opinion on the issue but he can not just decide which laws to uphold and which to not. What is a President decided that woman being allowed to vote was a law he/she did not like, should they be able to just stop defending it? No, this is no different.
Actually a law must be repealed by Congress. The President can at his discretion make all kinds of law and have it enforced on his own account...W the minor was the strongest proponent of this...You may want to study your civics again as it is clear that you have no idea how this gov't works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post

No matter what you're opinion is on this issue, Obama is overstepping his legal boundaries. He is acting like he is a King, He has no right to order the DOJ to not defend a law that was passed congressionally. He should be following the legal process. You know "checks and balances."

But, just like the Dems in Wisconsin, he apparently doesn't believe in our system of government anymore.
Quote:

The President can not just ignore a law it must be repealed and that must be done by the courts. He can give his opinion on the issue but he can not just decide which laws to uphold and which to not. What is a President decided that woman being allowed to vote was a law he/she did not like, should they be able to just stop defending it? No, this is no different.
Ben's Guide to U.S. Government for Kids

Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Actually a law must be repealed by Congress. The President can at his discretion make all kinds of law and have it enforced on his own account...W the minor was the strongest proponent of this...You may want to study your civics again as it is clear that you have no idea how this gov't works.

The Justice Department is tasked with defending laws passed by Congress--even those laws the sitting President may not like or have supported. The House of Representatives can step in and have its lawyers defend the law in court. The President took an oath to uphold the laws we have on the books right now.He can NOT just decide heck I don't like that one so I am gonna ignore it. He has to take the proper steps to have it removed. It is the federal judiciary NOT the executive branch that gets to decide which laws are unconstitutional.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 PM

Whatever. The doma is discrimination pure and simple. And while we could potentially debate ad nauseum....I don't give a rats ass if the PTA declares it illegal. Whoever does so and in any capacity is a true American.

Right the wrong.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
The Justice Department is tasked with defending laws passed by Congress--even those laws the sitting President may not like or have supported. The House of Representatives can step in and have its lawyers defend the law in court. The President took an oath to uphold the laws we have on the books right now.He can NOT just decide heck I don't like that one so I am gonna ignore it. He has to take the proper steps to have it removed. It is the federal judiciary NOT the executive branch that gets to decide which laws are unconstitutional.

Really? I thought the oath he took was to protect and defend the Constitution. I imagine it's a pretty hard position to be in when, as head of the executive branch, sworn to protect and defend the Constitution, you're put in a position of enforcing and defending a law like DOMA that is blatantly unconstitutional. That's quite the conundrum

Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 PM

....and on a personal note I just take such pleasure knowing that all these knuckle dragging crazies without a whit of fairness in their own lives....will be in their living rooms as the tv washes over them with the fox haters cursing the gays and the black man as they fall into the crevice of history as nature time and people move onward.

see ya.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
The law is still in effect and will be until such time as Congress decides to abolish it. All the President did, and I know this may be difficult to follow, is instruct the DoJ to no longer defend against federal lawsuits that concern this particular law since he believes that those cases are not winnable.

As was noted earlier in this thread, the President is well within his rights to do this and there are have been many other instances of previous presidents doing the same.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This president is an absolute freaking moron. Oil at $100 a barrel. The mid-east is falling apart. Our fragile economy is teetering and our jackass-in-chief is worried about gay marriage.

The man is a guaranteed one-termer and with any luck this country won't vote another Democratic candidate into the WH for the next 50 years.
Ok, let me understand this. You are advocating abandoning the free market and having govt. set the price of oil? You are advocating we support dictatorships and intervene on their behalf? You are saying the price of oil and the establishment of a world empire is more important that the rights of the individuals who are citiziens of this nation. My, my, my what have conservatives come to?

Last edited by newhandle; 02-23-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
It always struck me as funny that a law designed to stop consenting adults from formalizing their relationship was sold as a defense of marriage.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,046 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies