Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Really? How about 1862, 1942, 1982, 2002? Spending never increased before last two years, eh?
I had not discussed previous years spending. I think the comments i made about the last two years apply to this thread. If you would like to start a thread on spending in other years i certainly would comment on that thread.
Thanks
wjtwet

Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Of course I am. How can I forget the gift that Clinton gave us? Are you aware as well that US manufacturing is still greater than that of China? I guess not.
Oh, that Clinton guy did something that his predecessors were vehemently opposed to? That the republicans were completely against? Where can I find any proof of that? Please provide.

Besides, how is our dependency on China a result of NAFTA? (If that is what you're alluding to). Was there a trade deficit BEFORE NAFTA? No?

Quote:
Let's take the opposite extreme position. If the feds purchased ALL of our goods and distributed them to us, according to what they saw as "being best", do you think they would do that more efficiently and not purchase any foreign products? Again, we have the shining example of the Soviet Union with which to compare- that turned out well.

Perhaps we should reverse liberal policy of the last 80 years and return to prosperity.
Other than ultra-extremism that I’ve come to expect from you, in that you threw in Feds purchasing the things for people, what exactly do you think would have been the appropriate solution that bodes well with your personal beliefs? Instead of babbling about others you hate, how about you provide a perspective of how things should have been in the real world? Can’t wait to see it.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I think the Us has increased it spending over rthe last 2 years and that has not got the US out of debt.

Federal Budget Spending and the National Debt

From a personal experience what I have learned is that when i spend more money especially on my credit cards i find it difficult to get out of debt

That depends upon what you spend your money on.

If you spend it on luxury items or to amuse yourself, the answer is no.

But, if you invest that money in things which promise a return on your investment, the answer is usually yes.

For instance: Most farmers I know take out loans (debt) from the Production Credit Association or banks to cover not only their living expenses for the year, but to buy seeds, fuel and equipment to produce a crop this year. That's an investment in the future based upon past experience that normally pays off for them. At the end of the year, when they harvest and sell their crops, they pay off that loan and often bank the excess.

However, if they borrowed that money and used it for an extended cruise around the world or to build a new house, they'd end up in worse shape than before, right?

It's the same with government spending during a time of recession. It takes additional, targeted spending (some of it borrowed money) to sustain the economy and create the conditions for future growth when the recession is over.

Example: Increased or prolonged unemployment benefits, which is increased spending, not only keeps people out of bankruptcy, but provides them the dollars needed to buy necessary goods and services they need to survive. That keeps the economy running until things turn around, which leads to increased tax revenues.

Another example is GM. Thousands of jobs are dependent upon that company staying in business, so the government stepped in and provided the money (that's additional spending) they needed to continue operating until they became profitable again. It worked. Just last quarter, GM reported it's first net profit in over a decade, a profit of over $500 million. Now, because of that increased spending, they are in a position to not only pay back their loan, but to increase production, leading to more jobs and more tax revenue flowing into the government's coffers.

So, yes...you CAN increase spending and get out of debt. Heck, you can even BORROW more and get out of debt.

But...it takes a little time to work, so be patient.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I had not discussed previous years spending. I think the comments i made about the last two years apply to this thread. If you would like to start a thread on spending in other years i certainly would comment on that thread.
Thanks
wjtwet
I know. That is why I had to put you in place.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
In other words you can only bring up what they want to talk about, history is irrelevant. Maybe you should ask for a copy of the script before trying to discuss an issue using all the facts, since it obvious cherry picking is the name of the game here.
Casper

Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
So we agree it was off topic as i said . Please feel free to start a thread with the topic you choose.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
So we agree it was off topic as i said . Please feel free to start a thread with the topic you choose.
No, it is very much on topic. You want to avoid such discussions because it makes your argument look stupid and uninformed.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
No, it is very much on topic. You want to avoid such discussions because it makes your argument look stupid and uninformed.
This thread is on the topic of can you get spend yourself out of debt. So when you try to change the topic to can you tax yourself out of debt you most differently are not on topic. . If you wish to start a thread on can you curt yoru income and get out of debt i will be happy to participate in that thread. But this thread is not about taxes.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
This thread is on the topic of can you get spend yourself out of debt. So when you try to change the topic to can you tax yourself out of debt you most differently are not on topic. . If you wish to start a thread on can you tax yourself out of debt i will be happy to participate in that thread. But this thread is not about taxes.
Taxes = Revenue = Budget
Cutting taxes when they are really needed = Less Revenue = Smaller Budget and cuts in jobs and spending on needed programs
They are ALL tied together no matter how much you attempt to deny that simple Fact.
Casper

Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
This thread is on the topic of can you get spend yourself out of debt. So when you try to change the topic to can you tax yourself out of debt you most differently are not on topic. . If you wish to start a thread on can you curt yoru income and get out of debt i will be happy to participate in that thread. But this thread is not about taxes.
Who said that, nothing I read said that? Reading between the words again W, you do know that there is nothing there but blank space, don't ya. Just kidding don't get your feelings hurt.
Thing is when you are spending more than you are taking in you make rational spending cuts but you do not cut your funds even more by making tax cuts, those can wait until you are back on your feet. Simple logic, why is the right always thinks tax cuts are the answer, especially for the rich, they are not.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies