Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

YEAH!!!!!! About time our government and some of our population "wake up! This was a bigoted law instituted by the Bush Administration in the first place to further divide the country, keeping all of us from working together to improve our country. Finally we are seeing some justice and it eventually will be repealed as it is obviously unconstitutional!!!!

Government drops defense of anti-gay-marriage law | General Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20110223/US.Gay.Marriage/ - broken link)

Attorney General says DOMA is unconstitutional | News Story on 365gay.com

Obama, DOJ Say Part Of DOMA Is Unconstitutional, Will Not Defend It In Court | TPMMuckraker

Gov't drops defense of anti-gay marriage law | News Story on 365gay.com

The DOMA letter: What it means | News Story on 365gay.com

Statement from Attorney General on DOMA | News Story on 365gay.com

Attorney General says DOMA is unconstitutional | News Story on 365gay.com

WH: Obama still 'grappling' with gay marriage | News Story on 365gay.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Hmmm, it was signed into law by that bigot bill clinton!! again, it's up to the state to decide, as ruled by the supreems..

Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM

446 posts, read 649,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
YEAH!!!!!! About time our government and some of our population "wake up! This was a bigoted law instituted by the Bush Administration in the first place to further divide the country, keeping all of us from working together to improve our country. Finally we are seeing some justice and it eventually will be repealed as it is obviously unconstitutional!!!!
While I am a big fan of your posts, I do have to correct you: it was the Clinton Administration that instituted the law--which is one of the main reasons I ain't really a big fan of his presidency. Although now I am a fan of him because his attitude about the topic has changed in recent years.

But anyway, this is great news. The tower of bigotry has lost another few bricks and is nearer to collapse.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
While I am a big fan of your posts, I do have to correct you: it was the Clinton Administration that instituted the law--which is one of the main reasons I ain't really a big fan of his presidency. Although now I am a fan of him because his attitude about the topic has changed in recent years.

But anyway, this is great news. The tower of bigotry has lost another few bricks and is nearer to collapse.
I actually stand corrected........I was thinking of how Bush used DOMA to divide the country when we needed unity...thanx for clarifying the issue for me.. PS...THANX for setting me "straight"....ROFL....I could not help myself.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
they didn't drop DOMA, they are just not going to spend time defending ARTICLE 3 of DOMA in the lower courts.

when its time, and someone wants to push it further, hopefully SCOTUS will deal with the unconstitutionality of Article 3.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:25 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Glad to see this happen as Obama is starting to keep some of the promises he made towards the Gay community including the repeal of DADT. He was a Constitutional Law professor so if anybody would know about the Constitutionality of this bigotted law it would be him. Eventually this will wind up in the Supreme Court and get repealed also.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Glad to see this happen as Obama is starting to keep some of the promises he made towards the Gay community including the repeal of DADT. He was a Constitutional Law professor so if anybody would know about the Constitutionality of this bigotted law it would be him. Eventually this will wind up in the Supreme Court and get repealed also.

"He was a Constitutional Law professor"

Really?

Got a link?

Since he claims his motive for abandoning the federal DOMA is he believes it's unconstitutional, shouldn't he immediately stop implementing Obamacare since it has been ruled wholly unconstitutional and the act voided by a federal judge?

Federal Judge Declares Obamacare Unconstitutional - Peter Roff (usnews.com)

Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Please gays don't take to the street to celebrate.
The sight of grown men in ***less chaps makes me physically ill.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Man President Obama is looking better and better every day to a young swing voter like me, I already predict his cakewalk of a reelection in 2012. First the way overdue repeal of DADT and now he's working on DOMA!! This is fantastic news and hopefully by the time I get to marry the girl of my dreams in 2013, my sister will be on her way to marrying the girl of her dreams as well. As a swing voter, in possibly the most consequential swing state in recent history, I truly believe that for every radical (far left or far right) political action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. It happened to Obama after the healthcare debate in which he even called it a "shellacking." Well now it's happening to the so called "conservative comeback/tea party express," movement. However, President Obama's move to stop defending the DOMA in court is not a radical agenda at all, it's simply the right thing to do. Granting all citizens equal protection under the law shouldn't be a democrat vs republican thing, but rather an American thing protected by our sacred Constitution.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
This is great news!! However, I would not put Obummer up on a pedastal for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies