Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support allowing people to opt out of Social Security
Yes, I support this 50 70.42%
No, I do not support this 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times

Advertisements

Many state and local governments opted out. The same percentages are still saved, but it goes into an account that each individual can manage like a 401k plan. When the employee retires, they can either roll it into an IRA account or get an annuity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Would you support legislation that would allow Americans at will to completely opt out of SS and refund anything they were forced to pay into the fund? This would be a one time opt out, once you choose to opt out you're out for good and you can't opt back in. If you opt out you get a check for the amount that you paid in, no interest or deductions.
Damn we actually AGREE ON SOMETHING. Yes I totally agree that people should be allowed to opt out especially if they raise the retirement age to 70. At that point that is actually beyond the life expectancy of a significant number of people. Why should people continue to pay into a system when they may not be able get the benefits?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
GM still owes the taxpayers billions and Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac will never pay it back.
yes, and several other programs are returing a profit (not that I am for this loan), but eventually the money will be paid back...

Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
I know for a FACT that there are multi-millionaires collecting social security.

Should they? Yes.

Why? THEY EARNED IT!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
But you were OK with bailing out GM, Fanny Mae, and Freddie Mac for making dumb choices?

I guess you CAN have it both ways.
If I would have had it my way, they would have had the regs and oversight where they (and the banks) would have never been allowed to get in the mess they were in to begin with.

If people opt out of social security and they're destitute, we're still going to give them welfare, etc.--that's reality, and that's why the program is mandatory for the most part now. If we wouldn't have bailed out the banks, credit would have dried up to the point where businesses couldn't have functioned--I have excellent credit, and as it was, I still had to jump through a million hoops to get my revolving line of business credit renewed. I'm not crazy about the GM bailout, but the ripple effect through the economy with suppliers etc. would have been a disaster.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Sure, can't blame them. The government is terrible with managing other people's money.

Yes, but they are very good at spending other people's money.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Many state and local governments opted out. The same percentages are still saved, but it goes into an account that each individual can manage like a 401k plan. When the employee retires, they can either roll it into an IRA account or get an annuity.

Hmmmm.....sounds like the Bush plan that a lot of talking heads trashed.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:35 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If I would have had it my way, they would have had the regs and oversight where they (and the banks) would have never been allowed to get in the mess they were in to begin with.

If people opt out of social security and they're destitute, we're still going to give them welfare, etc.--that's reality, and that's why the program is mandatory for the most part now. If we wouldn't have bailed out the banks, credit would have dried up to the point where businesses couldn't have functioned--I have excellent credit, and as it was, I still had to jump through a million hoops to get my revolving line of business credit renewed. I'm not crazy about the GM bailout, but the ripple effect through the economy with suppliers etc. would have been a disaster.
So what's going to happen to people like me who have paid in and will never see a dime of that money when it's our turn to draw from SS?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
So what's going to happen to people like me who have paid in and will never see a dime of that money when it's our turn to draw from SS?
Hey--I think we're going to have to make changes (like raising the retirement age, etc.) to make it work long term--I'm not disagreeing with you--but if we make those changes I find it highly unlikely that "you'll never see a dime" of your money.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:42 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, but they are very good at spending other people's money.
Very true It's easy to spend and waste money they didn't earn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies