Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I think there is a faction in this country that has an interest in making sure we DON'T have an educated populace...

Bingo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:05 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Left leaners don't understand that the taxpayer is both the employer and the customer. I think that most of them think that the day is coming when all of them will be getting the goodies from the Obama govrnement.
I think that ^^^ that thought is totally absurd. Seems like right leaners have gone off the deep end for sure.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh for god ****ing sake!

This is exorbitant for professionals with a master's degrees, years of experience and regular courses for certifications? Get ****ing real!
Looks like those master's degrees are not being used to better educate our children, all they do is allow a teacher to claim a bigger paycheck.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
We don't need no idiots to teach our children.

We've got teachers who don't know anything, who wouldn't know how to teach if they did.
"We don't need no(sic) idiots to teach our children."

Or their parents apparently.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh for god ****ing sake!

This is exorbitant for professionals with a master's degrees, years of experience and regular courses for certifications? Get ****ing real!
I wouldn't say exorbitant, but it's not a bad deal for 9 months of work.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
People are what they are. Some are smart, most are average and some are dumb. A friend of mine who is a retired teacher told me that, in 35 years of teaching, he may have seen 2 or 3 students who were better than smart.

The real question is whether we wanted an educated populace or not and what we are willing to pay for that?
Merit based pay is that answer.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
But the teachers also pay tax and often their spouses do too.
Yes they do; and, as such, they should not have unequal influence through public employee unions and collective bargaining. All taxpayers should get equal representation rather than "more equal for some".

Old 02-24-2011, 03:16 PM

89,022 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
People are what they are. Some are smart, most are average and some are dumb. A friend of mine who is a retired teacher told me that, in 35 years of teaching, he may have seen 2 or 3 students who were better than smart.

The real question is whether we wanted an educated populace or not and what we are willing to pay for that?
It's always about grabbing more of the taxpayers' money for the lefties.

Meanwhile, an extensive article explaining what the real problem is in our schools:
Quote:
While students in the bottom quartile have shown slow but steady improvement since the 1960s, average test scores have nonetheless gone down, primarily because of the performance of those in the top quartile. This "highest cohort of achievers," Rudman writes, has shown "the greatest declines across a variety of subjects as well as across age-level groups." Analysts have also found "a substantial drop among those children in the middle range of achievement," he continues, "but less loss and some modest gains at the lower levels." In other words, our brightest youngsters, those most likely to be headed for selective colleges, have suffered the most dramatic setbacks over the past two decades--a fact with grave implications for our ability to compete with other nations in the future. If this is true--and abundant evidence exists to suggest that it is--then we indeed have a second major crisis in our education system.
Be sure to read the subsections entitled, The Incubus of the Sixties and The Shock of College-Level Demands. They explain what went wrong and why: FAILED leftist education ideology.
The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11

Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What makes taxpayers special?
If you have to ask the question, you have no clue.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's always about grabbing more of the taxpayers' money for the lefties.

Meanwhile, an extensive article explaining what the real problem is in our schools:Be sure to read the subsections entitled, The Incubus of the Sixties and The Shock of College-Level Demands. They explain what went wrong and why: FAILED leftist education ideology.
The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11
I think there is a tendency to focus on the under-achievers and help them. There is also a tendency to believe that the smart kids don't really need help. It isn't always in education either. The company I retired from spent far more time trying to help good but average performers than it did in helping the star performers. While I don't think you should ignore the under-achievers, I do think we should be helping the smart kids develop their potential to a maximum.

When I lived in Switzerland, the policy there was to push the academically less gifted to trade and technical schools rather than University. The apprenticeship system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies