Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you glad that conservatives are planning to make same-sex marriage an issue in 2012?
Yes, I'm glad conservatives are going to make it an issue 16 32.65%
No, conservatives should not focus on same-sex marriage 31 63.27%
Not sure 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That's what I said. Government has taken GOD's job.
I guess I misunderstood.

[marriage by government is still marriage]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Conservatives vow to make gay marriage 2012 issue (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/24/AR2011022406013.html?hpid=moreheadlines - broken link)

It's ironic that we often see anti-gay conservatives on this forum complain that gays are making their sexual orientation an issue, yet conservative activists are vowing to make gay issues a central part of their campaign in 2012.

Would that be homosexual conservative activists?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really, I've never seen an anti-gay post on this forum.
Amazing comment.

Quote:
I think you are either blinded by you activism or intentionally making false accusations.
Wait a second. You say you've never seen an anti-gay post on this forum and then you say that I'm blind?!

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 02-24-2011 at 11:54 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Between the fact there's a list a couple dozen deep of countries across the globe that have legalized gay marriages and unions, and that every year that goes by it gets more and more understood and clearly mainstream - I think it's somewhat suicidal for Republicans to try and force this to be an issue.

Say what you want to today, but in the end you're just fighting history.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
And Democrats will fall for it hook like and sinker. If Democrats were smart and had cojones they would frame the debate and point out the fact that conservatives are siding with corporations in their quest to turn the US into China. After all, wanting a middle class life is considered greedy nowadays.
China's GDP was over 9% last year and its middle class is expanding. The Chinese government is actually doing a better job providing economic opportunity for its people than the United States is.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
What makes you think they will? There are much more pressing issues facing our nation than gays and their complaints.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
How else are you going to get working class people to vote against their best interests. Scare them and tell them that gays are going to overtake their neighborhood and schools.

I think another reason why they are using this is because they realize that Hispanics are increasing in huge numbers in red states like Texas. Hispanics tend to be fiscally liberal but socially conservative. They also tend to be very Catholic, which frowns down upon gays. This is the only way to get the Hispanic vote, which they have been alienating with their "show me your papers" laws.
You are making the mistake of thinking that the Latino community is monolithic. It is not and like everybody else some Latinos are more socially liberal than others. Overall it's been my experience that Latinos that are second or third generation and beyond are much more socially liberal. Also younger Latinos like younger people in general tend to be much more open minded on this issue than older people.

No matter what Conservatives do they can't overcome their stances on immigration and even worse they can't seem to help using rhetoric and media campaigns that are demeaning to Latinos.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If the conservatives do make it an issue.....Advantage Democrats...The latest polls indicate that the majority is in favor of gay marriage.
Exactly people that were 16 in 2008 will be of voting age in 2012. As the older generation dies off it swings public opinion more toward people not wanting prohibitions on gay marriage.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:59 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
You doubt what, that Hispanics are socially conservative, or that the GOP is not trying to recruit more Hispanic voters? Is that why Newt made an ad in Spanish in an attempt to court Hispanic voters, or was he trying to court Asian voters?
They should be voting with conservatives. However, the democratic party is much better at identity politics than the republican party.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:00 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
At least I know you have a sense of humor! Oh wait, I think you were serious.

Sure, they want it big enough to protect corporations from liability, give corporate welfare, protect the privileged class who use government protections in order to gain money and power, protect our banking system and stamp out minority right on social issues.
To be fair, so do the Dem elite.
I am a conservative (classical liberal actually) and I disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies