Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you glad that conservatives are planning to make same-sex marriage an issue in 2012?
Yes, I'm glad conservatives are going to make it an issue 16 32.65%
No, conservatives should not focus on same-sex marriage 31 63.27%
Not sure 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

The economy is in the crapper, we are involved in a war that is winding down, and one that shows no progress, and these stupid people are getting their panties in a wad over the fact that Jane and Jill are getting it on in the privacy of their own bed?

How stupid are these people? They are making their poster child idol, Sarah Palin, look like a genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
I voted yes.

I hope they make it their central cause.

And it will backfire on them, bigtime.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
as far as I am concerned marriage should never have been a concern of goverment. civil unions are the pervue of goverment. marriage is the pervue of church and religion, not goverment.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You are making the mistake of thinking that the Latino community is monolithic. It is not and like everybody else some Latinos are more socially liberal than others. Overall it's been my experience that Latinos that are second or third generation and beyond are much more socially liberal. Also younger Latinos like younger people in general tend to be much more open minded on this issue than older people.
In fact, a poll in 2006 found that Latinos are more gay-friendly than whites. 48% of whites said that homosexuality is morally wrong, but only 43% of Latinos said the same thing.

Majority Continues To Support Civil Unions - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM

195 posts, read 186,402 times
So... they are going to waste time arguing about something that if they attempt it will violate the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and eventually get shot down anyway... in order to enact appeal to emotion and appeal to belief... in order to garner votes, even though they will not be able to follow through with said focus long term.

I dislike having my time wasted, thus I dislike this course of action.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:13 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I am a conservative (classical liberal actually) and I disagree with you.
How you can be a classical liberal and disagree with me? Most of what I post are classical liberal views?

Classical liberals such as Jefferson did not advocate crony corpratism or legislating morality.

"They [the clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion."
-Thomas Jefferson to Dr. Benjamin Rush, Sept. 23, 1800

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own."
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17, 1814

Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
In fact, a poll in 2006 found that Latinos are more gay-friendly than whites. 48% of whites said that homosexuality is morally wrong, but only 43% of Latinos said the same thing.

Majority Continues To Support Civil Unions - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

in my life i think i know of 5 people who took the abstinance before marriage thing seriously! i find it quite sad that people can criticize the morality of homos but have no issue with all the pre-marital rumpy pumpy going on.
the hypocrisy reaches fever pitch when the high priestess of the social conservatives, sarah palin, happens to have a bastard grandson!

there is something about living in glass houses

Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
This is going to cause a huge split in the R's (which is already falling apart between the moderates and the social conservatives). Interesting.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:17 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This is going to cause a huge split in the R's (which is already falling apart between the moderates and the social conservatives). Interesting.

most of the social conservatives are fiscally liberal behind the rhetoric. the democratic party can have them back. actually, as time passes, i think the social conservatives who want to force their ideas on others will be forced out of both parties.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,321 times
I love America. Land of the free home of the brave. That beacon of liberty shining it's light of enlightenment throughout the world.

It seems to me though that a certain group of Americans need to re-read the 1st amendment. Here, I'll reproduce it for you all here.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Now it seems to me that the vast majority of you who are against any rights being granted to Gays and Lesbians do so from religious grounds. Certainly all the effort to stop changes that will benefit Gays come from religious institutions. As such, disallowing access to government institutions such as marriage to people that some religious observers view as undesirable is unconstitutional. Congress is prohibited from making a law that favors one religion over any others.

Not all religions share your God's distainment for love between members of the same sex. Not all US citizens are believers in ANY religion. It would therefore be wrong of Congress to favor one religious groups views over everyone elses without hard evidence that homosexuality should be restricted for reasons other than "My God disapproves". End of discussion.

Science has established that homosexuality is widespread in nature. It is therefore wrong to refer to it as unnatural. Homosexuals break no existing federal law in relation to their sexual activities, yet being denied access to the institution of marriage they suffer many indignities and financial nightmares (insurance, property, taxes etc). On this basis alone it should be no contest.

Yet here we are. And why? Because the Wall Street merchants of the financial apocalypse who fund the Republican Party (who very nearly drove the economy off the cliff, and will again given the chance) know that a little bigotry goes a long way at the ballot box. The whole thing is a smoke screen designed to keep your eyes off the really important stuff (deregulation, fracking).

Your bigotry is making you blind. The United States of Corporations is taking over, and they're doing it by using your fear and bigotry. Open your eyes, this issue has NOTHING to do with you and if Gays are allowed to marry it will not effect you ONE LITTLE BIT. Think about it, for Jesus's sake... For people who worship a man who hung out with societies most detestable and marginalized you have a very weird way of expressing yourselves politically. You really should be on the side of the downtrodden. Yet here you are, one the side of the rich and greedy.

Just because it is unnatural to you does not mean it is unnatural to everyone. GET OVER YOUR BIGOTRY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies