Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Wis. Assembly passes bill taking away union rights
Wis. Assembly passes bill taking away union rights - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wisconsin_budget_unions - broken link)

Republican-controlled Wisconsin Assembly passes anti-union bill despite protests
The Canadian Press: Wisconsin Assembly passes bill taking away union rights despite protests

Wisconsin Assembly Passes Anti-Union Bill
Wisconsin Assembly Passes Anti-Union Bill - FoxNews.com
The Democrats didn't have much choice in the matter in Wisconsin in the assembly (house). Even if all of them walked out, the Republicans could still vote.

The Senate has rules similar to the filibuster, that if none of the Democratic Senators are there, then the Senate can't be called to order, and thus it stops government.

Its up to the people of Wisconsin on what they want. I've seen conflicting polls. Most folks want the Union to pay for their benefits, but they don't seem to support the collective bargaining ban in the same numbers.

Its their states thing, and I'll let them decide. It doesn't make a difference to me. I know if my state governor called for the police to track down Senators and force them to vote, I'd be one mad SOB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Wis. Assembly passes bill taking away union rights - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wisconsin_budget_unions - broken link)

Republican-controlled Wisconsin Assembly passes anti-union bill despite protests
The Canadian Press: Wisconsin Assembly passes bill taking away union rights despite protests

The bill must still pass the state Senate before it becomes law.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The left's days are numbered. The citizens are waking up to the destruction they leave on society, both socially and physically.
Actually the Right's days are numbered. The long term demographics work against them and they are alienating many people in the Midwest where the labor movement is stronger than any other part of the country. This move is going to cost the Republicans the 2012 presidental election.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
They have been sleeping there since this started. They have done alot of destruction to our capital. They are to be out of there by Saturday.
Actually, they haven't. They have volunteer crews to keep it clean. I have a couple of sisters who live in Wisconsin, and they've both been to the capital at least once this week. It was amazingly tidy.

Talya Minsberg: Wisconsin Protests -- Life in the Trenches

Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The Democrats didn't have much choice in the matter in Wisconsin in the assembly (house). Even if all of them walked out, the Republicans could still vote.

The Senate has rules similar to the filibuster, that if none of the Democratic Senators are there, then the Senate can't be called to order, and thus it stops government.

Its up to the people of Wisconsin on what they want. I've seen conflicting polls. Most folks want the Union to pay for their benefits, but they don't seem to support the collective bargaining ban in the same numbers.

Its their states thing, and I'll let them decide. It doesn't make a difference to me. I know if my state governor called for the police to track down Senators and force them to vote, I'd be one mad SOB.
All Walker has to do is drop the collective bargaining ban, and the State Senators will be back in Wisconsin within the hour. It's all on him.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
All Walker has to do is drop the collective bargaining ban, and the State Senators will be back in Wisconsin within the hour. It's all on him.
Nop, these fleeing Dems will be punished.They're paid by taxpayers and they don't work = thieves

Old 02-25-2011, 06:21 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most folks want the Union to pay for their benefits, but they don't seem to support the collective bargaining ban in the same numbers.
I hope you didn't mean that Unions pay for employee benefits. They don't.
None of the money collected in dues goes back to the employees in the form of wages, health coverage, or pensions.

It all goes into the union bank to use for lobbying, support of favored candidates, advertising, etc.

By the way, if it isn't constitutional to force people to buy health insurance, why is it constitutional to force an employee to pay union dues when they don't belong?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Interesting video....

Eyeblast.tv
Wow!

Thanks for sharing this video. This one needs to be passed along.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually the Right's days are numbered. The long term demographics work against them and they are alienating many people in the Midwest where the labor movement is stronger than any other part of the country. This move is going to cost the Republicans the 2012 presidental election.

Shhh, don't tell them.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:

I hope every teacher, fire fighter, police officer, sanatary worker, etc... goes on strike on Monday and shuts the state down. I KNOW none will ever vote for the sort of POS they have as Gov now, and a reminder, not all union workers are Dems, enjoy the show, the days of right-wing rule is ticking down quickly in Wis and the Nation.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies