Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
In most states, they're not required to join. When they are, it's because once a group of workers decides to form a bargaining unit that represents the employees, the union is legally responsible for representing every employee in the grievance and negotiations process, regardless of membership status, including racking up some hefty legal bills for them from time to time. If the union doesn't provide "fair representation" they face severe sanctions by the national labor relations board, plus you can sue their pants off. Because of that, some states require employees to pay dues, or partial dues. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that in those instances the employees have the option of either requesting that their dues only go for servicing and negotiations costs--they can either pay partial dues to cover those costs, or they can request that none of their dues go for things like get out the vote campaigns. Funding for candidates doesn't come from dues to begin with--it's from a separate collection.
I am going to have to challenge you on that statement. It wasn't that way when I was in a union.

Please provide something to back up your claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I am going to have to challenge you on that statement. It wasn't that way when I was in a union.

Please provide something to back up your claim.
They are wrong. Dues are used for funding candidates. I'm in a public union and everything that poster states is why I hate it. dues are being extorted out the employees who don't want to be a member because the union is worthless. They are in bed with the politicians and the state government agencies and 99% of the time side WITH THEM and leave you hanging out to dry. I was demoted in title because someone lied on their resume and cheated on the civil service exam and they took my position. It was proven that they lied and cheated, but the union did nothing, nor did civil service or the state HR dept. I got screwed and the union told me, "oh well" that happens. Now I am working the very same position as before but not in the correct title and working for less money. Where's the union? Good question. The unions only care about dues, that's it.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why did the politicians of the states NOT fund the pensions in a responsible manner?....

Because not funding the pensions let pols pay off unions for their support, and kick the can to the next generation of taxpayers.

If there was to be a special tax to fully fund public employee pension and benefits packages, it should be collected equally from every person in the state, and described as exactly what it is. A "public empolyees special benefits tax". Keep it open, transparant and let all taxpayers see what their politicians have gotten them into.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Thumbs up True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
What Limpbag won't tell you...

Reagan: big tax cuts, left office with record deficits.

Bush: big tax cuts, left office with record deficits.

You were saying...

Clinton: tax increase, left office with budget surplus, good economy

Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And you're blaming the union for that? You can't have it both ways. If they had to take concessions because of the economy, it was because of management--you can't get money if it's not there. That's what you guys want--right? For the employees to take concessions? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth--if they take the concessions to deal with economic realities, the union is bad, and if they don't take concessions, the union is bad. Again--You can't have it both ways.
You missed my point and that was collective bargaining is not all what is cracked up to be. You did hit reality when you said when profits are down or a budget is in deficit there has to be concessions.But people like my step father who has paid dues and really believed all the BS promises cry like a stuck pig and blame the greedy company or in this case those mean {R}s.
I agree with Walker that collective bargaining on wages only. We all know what will take place in the future is that the {D}s will run on restoring collective bargaining across the board and the deficit be damned.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They are wrong. Dues are used for funding candidates. I'm in a public union and everything that poster states is why I hate it. dues are being extorted out the employees who don't want to be a member because the union is worthless. They are in bed with the politicians and the state government agencies and 99% of the time side WITH THEM and leave you hanging out to dry. I was demoted in title because someone lied on their resume and cheated on the civil service exam and they took my position. It was proven that they lied and cheated, but the union did nothing, nor did civil service or the state HR dept. I got screwed and the union told me, "oh well" that happens. Now I am working the very same position as before but not in the correct title and working for less money. Where's the union? Good question. The unions only care about dues, that's it.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:

You were saying...

How can two men hold the record? A record is a record and right now

the tax and spender Obama will leave office the RECORD for deficits.

So raising taxes is not the answer like the loons would like you to believe.

I do not listen to talk shows so you are wrong again.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:

You were saying...

Just so you can get the FACTS correct.

Reagan had a 82% increase in tax revenues from the 1st year he was in office to the last year.

He actually set a RECORD for increasing money coming into the kitty.

What happened was the democrats who of course had total control of congress SPENT THE DAMN MONEY as fast as he could get it coming in.

The DEMORATS outspent all nine budgets under Reagan.

Reagan tried hard to get the demorats to cut wasteful spending domestic items but they would not have it.

Reagan, the greatest President of our time and perhaps ever did things the right way.

If he were here today he would be kicking union thugs butts once again and getting people who want to work in those jobs.

Get your facts correct now that Obermun is a goner and you have to listen two the three stooge commis in Maddox, Schultz and Larry O'Dumel.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that in those instances the employees have the option of either requesting that their dues only go for servicing and negotiations costs--they can either pay partial dues to cover those costs, or they can request that none of their dues go for things like get out the vote campaigns. Funding for candidates doesn't come from dues to begin with--it's from a separate collection.
Wrong.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Clinton: tax increase, left office with budget surplus, good economy
When Clinton left the economy was in or teetering on the brink of a recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies