Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Wow. Simply....wow. Such ignorance. You know, it's OK to admit when a union has destroyed something. Stating facts doesn't mean you can't be any more or less liberal.

It would just mean that you understand facts.

I know that's a lot to ask for some people though. Rhetoric over fact.
You have no clue to what unions do.

Greedy men killed manufacturing in this country. Not all manufacturing companies were unionized. Just look for a "MADE IN AMERICA TAG" on anything you purchase.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-26-2011 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

My comment wasn't directed to you specifically, but I can see why you would think that.

I'm saying that progressives continuously mocked tea party protests, yet then they realized how effective they were and decided to give it a go themselves. Suddenly they stand for "the people" but the tea partiers don't?
Nonsense. Progressives never mocked tea partiers for rallying, they mocked tea partiers for WHAT they were rallying ABOUT (because most of them didn't even know!).

Not to mention, progressives invented massive rallying in 2008. Or have you forgotten recent history, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post

Throw more money at politicians in order to buy "their democracy".
Wait, I thought "Corporations are people"?

The downright hilariously, ironic and hypocritical thing about that is, corporations represent CORPORATIONS, whereas the unions represent ACTUAL PEOPLE. And yet here all you guys are, whining about Unions contributing to political campaigns. What, no whining about corporate fat cats "buying democracy"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post

Are you saying you have lived for years on government handouts? What exactly will you do when the taxpayers refuse to pay for welfare?
Well, maybe when taxpayers refuse to pay for welfare through the actual government welfare program, he can stick his hand out to Lutheran Social Services and take a piece of their part of the $2 BILLION A YEAR that they suck out of the government teat! Woo Hoo - Welfare through religious organizations paid for by the government! What could be more American than that??

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
YOU have to be kidding when you say companies moved overseas because of unions. LOL LOL LOL

Ever heard of that free trade thingie?

Ever heard of greed? Those companies, instead of being loyal to the US workers, moved those jobs so they could pay their workers a couple dollars a day!! Now, do you think that people in this country, including you, could support the average middle class lifestyle on a couple dollars a day?

I'm just stunned that so many "people" have bought the garbage that's being spewed in this thread. It's amazing.
Umm, the goal of a business is to make a profit. You keep calling everyone naive and whatnot, yet haven't even disproved our points.

I'm assuming you don't support ANY corporations? Where'd you buy your computer? Do you drive a car? Do you buy groceries?

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
ahh, the greed-is-good contingent has arrived.

and, no, I'm not totally clueless.

Oh yes you are!!!

Do you live in the rust belt where people make steel and mine coal for a living?

Have most of your childhood friends and their families all worked in mills like mine did?

It's heartbreaking and sad, but they did it to themselves thinking the union was the next thing to Jesus.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
So Jill, are you dependent on government funds? You seemed to indicate you were in a previous post.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The WI Teachers Union has only 8000 members.
The WI budget shortfall is $3.6 billion over the next 2 years.
One teacher is quoted as saying that there's no reason for layoffs. Like the budget problems aren't real ? Do the teachers think budget problems in states all over the US are made up ?
There is no federal stimulus money this year to cover the gaps in budget shortfalls.
The Federal government only prolonged the agony for the states.

All right here:
As Wis. impasse continues, schools eye layoffs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110226/ap_on_re_us/us_wisconsin_budget_unions - broken link)

Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post

So Jill, are you dependent on government funds? You seemed to indicate you were in a previous post.
What on earth are you talking about? I'll lay odds that my family income exceeds yours threefold at least.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Not really. Median starting salary is around between $40-45K which is similar to other fields such as accounting and computer science. Maybe slightly less, but that doesn't take into account the perks (summers off, paying pennies for health care, generous pension, and being able to keep your job even if you don't deserve it!)

I personally don't have an issue with salaries. Only exception is paying teachers who should be fired and overpaid superintendents.
That figure includes all teachers, including private school teachers. The us has about 25% private schools versus 10% private in Canada. Viewing only public school teachers, the average is low 50k, exclusive of benefits.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Nonsense. Progressives never mocked tea partiers for rallying, they mocked tea partiers for WHAT they were rallying ABOUT (because most of them didn't even know!).
And that's just the icing on the cake. Being mocked for supporting the constitution and liberty. Mocked for expressing their disdain for the government. Mocked for actually speaking out against wasteful government spending. They were accused of being racist and fake. You think those students in Wisconsin actually knew what they were protesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61
The downright hilariously, ironic and hypocritical thing about that is, corporations represent CORPORATIONS, whereas the unions represent ACTUAL PEOPLE. And yet here all you guys are, whining about Unions contributing to political campaigns. What, no whining about corporate fat cats "buying democracy"? Well, maybe when taxpayer refuse to pay for welfare through the actual government welfare program, he can stick his hand out to Lutheran Social Services and take a piece of their part of the $2 BILLION A YEAR that they suck out of the government teat! Woo Hoo - Welfare through religious organizations paid for by the government! What could be more American than that??
So you think it is okay for a union to force members to pay for political campaigns they may not support? Or is it okay for the average union worker to pay for the exorbitant union leader salaries and conferences? My mother paid $500 in union dues last year. That extra money certainly would've been nice to have.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What on earth are you talking about? I'll lay odds that my family income exceeds yours threefold at least.
Another Internet millionaire, lol.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies