Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
There's a whole lot more to that story and you know it.

Well, if there is then you wouldn't have a clue about it because I lived it.

The Steelworkers union was already demanding so much from the steel companies that when the recession hit, they were teetering on bankruptcy.
The unions called them liars. They called a strike. The doors closed for good. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 10:32 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post

Since you make 3 times my combined household income would you be able to float me a loan Jill?
I'm sure Catholic Charities would be happy to give you a handout of some of my taxpayer dollars they get from the federal government. Go stick your hand out to them.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:32 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
We don't know what to do? HA! Just watch.
Watch what? Gallup reports that 71% of Americans don't want to pay more of any type of tax, including property tax.

How do the public employee unions reconcile that with their expectation to be able to demand more from the taxpayers?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:37 PM

Central Falls School:

This is the true story of a poor town and it's school. The name is Central Falls school in Rhode Island. The average income of Central Falls is $22,000.

At Central Falls school, drop-out rates are staggering and many pupils didn't even log enough classroom time to receive a grade. The school's failure rate is 93%.

So last year the school board, left with no other ideas to correct the situation, fired all 88 teachers. But fear not, the Rhode Island Teachers Federation came to their aid and forced the school board to rehire all the teachers. Not only that, but they even got them a raise! Every teacher got an extra $3000 stipend! So in a town where the average income is $22,000, the average teacher is now being paid $76,000.

To be perfectly fair, the teachers did agree to a few concession like eating lunch with the students and adding a few minutes onto class time. So one would think that things might have improved at Central Falls...right?

But their failure rate hasn't improved one iota and remains at 93%.

The teachers aren't taking all this lying down and staged a sick-out protesting against citizen's demands for improved performance.

CNN's Steve Perry reported on this story and has a video journal where you can watch some of the amazing answers the head of the Rhode Island Teachers Federation had. For example this exchange:

Quote:
CNN: So in this town where the average income is $22,000 the average teacher is now making $76,000. What are the community members paying for?

James Parisi: The highest paid teachers are making about $76,000, which frankly I don’t think is enough for the committed professionals that are in that school district.

CNN: You had a 93% fail rate. That’s undeniable.

JP: And you think that’s caused by teacher’s actions?

CNN: Absolutely!

JP: I don’t think the teachers are responsible.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The war against the taxpayer continues.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:54 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Before Unions, there was a small middle class. Unions gave us the 40 hour work week, overtime, equal rights, civil rights, workman's compensation, work area safety and got rid of child labor.

The GOP would love to go back to the 1890's and 80 hour work weeks, child labor, etc.
Exactly! They have been trying to get rid of the middle class for years and it sure has been working.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
More and more states are becoming right to work states. That happens because the voters in those states support it.

Those states are prospering as companies leave the unionized states. For every job lost in a unionized state, there are two created in right to work states.
Where did you get that info?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Well, if there is then you wouldn't have a clue about it because I lived it.

The Steelworkers union was already demanding so much from the steel companies that when the recession hit, they were teetering on bankruptcy.
The unions called them liars. They called a strike. The doors closed for good. End of story.
Were you a member of the United Steelworkers union?

The history of the steel industry in the U.S. is not as simple as you try to make it sound. Not by a long shot. Were you involved in the talks? Did you live in Pittsburg? US Steel is still located there.

And you try to say that big corps in the US did not offshore jobs quickly after free trade?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Were you a member of the United Steelworkers union?
Yes, when I would work for the summer at the US Steel - Tubular Division plant while on college break.

Quote:
The history of the steel industry in the U.S. is not as simple as you try to make it sound. Not by a long shot. Were you involved in the talks? Did you live in Pittsburg? US Steel is still located there.
US Steel and a whole lot of other major steel companies once were in Pittsburgh (Carnegie Steel, Blaw Knox, Bethlehem, Bessemer, etc.). And yes, I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I get off of the subway at the Steel City Station underneath the US Steel building every week day.

The city of Pittsburgh ALONE during WWII produced more steel than both Germany and Japan combined.

Above the United Steelworkers HQ there's a sign that says....We Aren't New York City, We Only BUILT It.

PS: It's PITTSBURGH not PITTSBURG

Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Where did you get that info?
I already provided a link to it in this thread.....READ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies