Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
This is one case where I will take a hard line. Khaddafi is mentally unbalanced. He is living in a fantasy world. His army is deserting en masse. He only has personal security and mercinaries from Chad to prop up his regeme. We have two Marine quick response batallions off the coast right now. I feel we should immediately take decisive military action to secure tripoli and drag Khaddafi back in chains to stand trial in front of the United Nations for crimes against his people. If we do this we will show the world and the libyian people that the US will not stand by and watch a ruthless dictator commit murder on his own people. The Libyans will forever be grateful for the US insuring their freedom and we will send a message to the rest of the Arab world that we will not stand by while they slaughter their people in defense of despotic regemes. That's what I think. I know, I know, "Another US military incursion in the Middle east" but IMO, this one's a no brainer. We could be in and out like "grease through a goose" in geo political terms.
Great idea ....

Hey, and so what if his mercenaries murder hundreds non-Libyan citizens while we do it. I'm sure the Chinese/Russians/French/Germans/Brits/etc. will understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
We have a right to go get him because he gave the order for the Lockerbie bombing. Just tell his military that a salvo of cruise missiles will be coming shortly in they don't turn him over.
Ah right. And what happens if he surrounds himself with western hostages. Got an easy solution for that too

Seriously, do you think we have not considered putting troops on the ground? Right now, it is not a smart or a practical thing to do. Maybe that time will come but it isn't now.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Great idea ....

Hey, and so what if his mercenaries murder hundreds non-Libyan citizens while we do it. I'm sure the Chinese/Russians/French/Germans/Brits/etc. will understand.
I don't think that's a realistic scenario. Tripoli is a seaport. We control the airport and the harbor and those risks are minimized. I see more of an invasion similar to Grenada, where the opposing force is disorganized and not very good fighters. We definately would have the people on our side.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
This is one case where I will take a hard line. Khaddafi is mentally unbalanced. He is living in a fantasy world. His army is deserting en masse. He only has personal security and mercinaries from Chad to prop up his regeme. We have two Marine quick response batallions off the coast right now. I feel we should immediately take decisive military action to secure tripoli and drag Khaddafi back in chains to stand trial in front of the United Nations for crimes against his people. If we do this we will show the world and the libyian people that the US will not stand by and watch a ruthless dictator commit murder on his own people. The Libyans will forever be grateful for the US insuring their freedom and we will send a message to the rest of the Arab world that we will not stand by while they slaughter their people in defense of despotic regemes. That's what I think. I know, I know, "Another US military incursion in the Middle east" but IMO, this one's a no brainer. We could be in and out like "grease through a goose" in geo political terms.
I hope people like you have no pull with Obama.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's a realistic scenario. Tripoli is a seaport. We control the airport and the harbor and those risks are minimized. I see more of an invasion similar to Grenada, where the opposing force is disorganized and not very good fighters. We definately would have the people on our side.
You have to secure the port and the airport and neutralize any of his troops/mercenaries before they can harm our people. That simply is not practical or, I think, we would have done it. That is a huge area and almost impossible to get enough troops in position before Gaddafi's guys realize what is happening. It just takes 10 seconds and one guy with a machine gun and the whole plan falls apart.

In addition, Libya has a pretty sophisticated air defense system. The only reason the Brits got in was because they came in from the east which is under opposition control. That system could play havoc with an airborne assault.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Ah right. And what happens if he surrounds himself with western hostages. Got an easy solution for that too

Gotta love the armchair warriors on this thread. Fortunately, our government is just a bit smarter than them.
This thread is about the situation in Libyia and what should be done. I voiced my opinion regardless of how popular it is. I am a warrior who fought for years in the service of our country and have the scars and medals to prove it. And it is true, I now inhabit an armchair. Well the jury is out on what our government will ultimately do. your scenario is the worst case. Worst case and best case are mitigating factors in military strategic decisions but never the deciding factor.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
This thread is about the situation in Libyia and what should be done. I voiced my opinion regardless of how popular it is. I am a warrior who fought for years in the service of our country and have the scars and medals to prove it. And it is true, I now inhabit an armchair. Well the jury is out on what our government will ultimately do. your scenario is the worst case. Worst case and best case are mitigating factors in military strategic decisions but never the deciding factor.
Then you will know how long it takes to plan an operation of this type, the kinds of resources it takes to execute it and the inherent risks involved. Remember, this isn't a bunch of construction workers you will be fighting.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Then you will know how long it takes to plan an operation of this type, the kinds of resources it takes to execute it and the inherent risks involved. Remember, this isn't a bunch of construction workers you will be fighting.
I will readily acknowledge that there are inherent risks involved in a US quick reaction force occupying Tripoli. I guess I'm saying that from where I sit, (In my armchair) that option should be looked at for the possible mitigating of suffering of the libyian people and the benefits it would provide the US concerning future relations in the Middle East. I'm sure saner heads with a much better grasp of the tactical situation are pondering these very options I have discussed, as we speak. Time will tell. I do know that we have two Marine quick reaction forces sitting in ships off the coast of libya right now and probabily a Carrier group as well. If we so choose, we could control the airports and harbor plus the sky immediately with the resources already there. The question is, would we choose to do so?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I will readily acknowledge that there are inherent risks involved in a US quick reaction force occupying Tripoli. I guess I'm saying that from where I sit, (In my armchair) that option should be looked at for the possible mitigating of suffering of the libyian people and the benefits it would provide the US concerning future relations in the Middle East. I'm sure saner heads with a much better grasp of the tactical situation are pondering these very options I have discussed, as we speak. Time will tell. I do know that we have two Marine quick reaction forces sitting in ships off the coast of libya right now and probabily a Carrier group as well. If we so choose, we could control the airports and harbor plus the sky immediately with the resources already there. The question is, would we choose to do so?
Right now, the risks of such an operation failing more than outweighs any advantages. We would not make many friends if dozens of foreign civilians got caught in the crossfire.

However, if Gaddafi's guys start going after them without provocation, that would change the thinking which is probably why we have the assets there.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Right now, the risks of such an operation failing more than outweighs any advantages. We would not make many friends if dozens of foreign civilians got caught in the crossfire.

However, if Gaddafi's guys start going after them without provocation, that would change the thinking which is probably why we have the assets there.
Well, you're probably right about that. I'm not trying to start a conflict here, just voicing my opinion of what I think the situation calls for. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. I hope everything turns out well for the libyans and the killing is kept to a minimum for them to obtain their freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies