Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:35 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
there are no rights.
WRONG!

The NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS ACT (1935) provides for the right to unionize.

Employees shall have the right to self-organization, to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing, and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection, and shall also have the right to refrain from any or all of such activities except to the extent that such right may be affected by an agreement requiring membership in a labor organization as a condition of employment as authorized in section 158 (a)(3) of this title.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/29...7----000-.html

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 06:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but I did my duty by informing my employer of my notice to appear for jury duty. If they wanted me to submit a hardship excuse, they certainly could have requested that I do so. Hindsight is 20/20.
So the business is not going to go under because you're away for week and a half. Good. Apparently, the owners of your business didn't think it would suffer that much either.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Default Corporate Profits Soaring Thanks to Record Unemployment

Submitted by Mark Provost on Fri, 02/25/2011 - 14:53

http://www.economicpopulist.org/cont...d-unemployment

Quote:
In a January 2009 ABC interview with George Stephanopoulos, then President-elect Barack Obama said fixing the economy required shared sacrifice, "Everybody’s going to have to give. Everybody’s going to have to have some skin in the game." (1)
For the past two years, American workers submitted to the President’s appeal—taking steep pay cuts despite hectic productivity growth. By contrast, corporate executives have extracted record profits by sabotaging the recovery on every front—eliminating employees, repressing wages, withholding investment, and shirking federal taxes.

The global recession increased unemployment in every country, but the American experience is unparalleled. According to a July OECD report, the U.S. accounted for half of all job losses among the 31 richest countries from 2007 to mid-2010. (2) The rise of U.S. unemployment greatly exceeded the fall in economic output. Aside from Canada, U.S. GDP actually declined less than any other rich country, from mid-2008 to mid 2010. (3)

Washington’s embrace of labor market flexibility ensured companies encountered little resistance when they launched their brutal recovery plans. Leading into the recession, the US had the weakest worker protections against individual and collective dismissals in the world, according to a 2008 OECD study. (4)

Blackrock’s Robert Doll explains, “When the markets faltered in 2008 and revenue growth stalled, U.S. companies moved decisively to cut costs—unlike their European and Japanese counterparts.” (5) The U.S. now has the highest unemployment rate among the ten major developed countries.

(6).
The private sector has not only been the chief source of massive dislocation in the labor market, but it is also a beneficiary. Over the past two years, productivity has soared while unit labor costs have plummeted. By imposing layoffs and wage concessions, U.S. companies are supplying their own demand for a tractable labor market. Private sector union membership is the lowest on record. (7) Deutsche Bank Chief Economist Joseph LaVorgna notes that profits-per-employee are the highest on record, adding, “I think what investors are missing - and even the Federal Reserve - is the phenomenal health of the corporate sector.” (8)
But lets cut more unions out and lower wages more as well as throw more into unemployment so these jackals can continue their raping.

They need to take a bath in a vat of acid

Left - Right hoax

Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Anyone who is anti-Union has never had a Union job. From my experience, working for a union company is a much more harmonious environment than non-union, where management has all the power.

And "Right to Work State" is one of those things that sounds good but is really a load of garbage.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
WRONG!

The NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS ACT (1935) provides for the right to unionize.

Employees shall have the right to self-organization, to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing, and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection, and shall also have the right to refrain from any or all of such activities except to the extent that such right may be affected by an agreement requiring membership in a labor organization as a condition of employment as authorized in section 158 (a)(3) of this title.

United States Code: Title 29,157. Right of employees as to organization, collective bargaining, etc. | LII / Legal Information Institute

Ken
I didn't say you didn't have the right to unionize, what I said is there are NO rights. You only have those rights that you can personally defend and assure yourself of. You have no right to life, nor liberty, nor anything else.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Date of Birth
February 22, 1988 (23)
Yeah, so what? Are you ageist? I know for a fact I'm better-informed than 80% of the people on this forum actually...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
I didn't say you didn't have the right to unionize, what I said is there are NO rights. You only have those rights that you can personally defend and assure yourself of. You have no right to life, nor liberty, nor anything else.
More silly anarchist garbage.
Tell it to someone who cares.

Ken

Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
I approve of Unions but I don't approve of monopolies and giant conglomerates running the country.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
The only right anyone has is the right to fight for it.

It's like an old question I remember hearing pop up.

Does Israel have the right to exist?

It does not come down to rights, but rather fighting to exist via a big stick.

Every American has the right via fighting in whatever means they wish to get what they want. The military and us gov is the perfect teacher of this principal as they carry on around the world as they please.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Yeah, so what? Are you ageist? I know for a fact I'm better-informed than 80% of the people on this forum actually...
Just pointing out the obvious fallacy to your post.

And you just had to exhibit it once again? Brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies