Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The right of assembly does not override the employers right to private property. Which is what unions do.
unions cannot hold meetings or picket on company property.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The rate of pay for manufacturing employees in the United States rose 57% from 1860-1890. It rose another 54% from 1890-1914.

This is when less than 3% of the workforce was unionized. And we didn't have federal laws favoring unions. And workers in heavily unionized Europe were coming to the U.S. to work in non-union shops by the millions.

Like everything else the union people claim the idea they created the middle class is a lie.

Unions were started to keep blacks and Asians from taking jobs from whites. This is pretty much what unions are still about. Suppressing wages of non-union employees.

You live under a rock right??

Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Workers have power. It's called get a new job if you don't like the one you have. We would be much better off with no unions at all. They are slowly destroying this country.

What if all employers got together and agreed that all workers only get paid $1 an hour.........go to another employer then? And if you do not think that happened and would happen.... I have a bridge to sell you

Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
As long as I'm not forced to be apart of your organization and still have the same opportunities and rights.
without a union. that usually means how good you can brown nose your boss

Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
I approve of gay unions.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What is the reasoning behind every worker being a part of the same union or any union.

Its called divide and conquer........Republicans are backed by large corporartions.Large corporations hate unions because they prevent them from taking advantage of them with poor wages,unsafe working conditions,no overtime pay,Etc.Without a closed shop they have a work force NOT in the union whom they can replace the union employees with and eventually... no union

Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I do not approve of any unions. Their thug tactics have destroyed American businesses. It is time to stop the destruction and get rid of all Unions!

Was union member for 37 years never saw a "thug"

Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 PM

592 posts, read 414,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The same purposes in some cases, that they served years ago. They keep employers honest. Here is a quote from the education forum:

If teachers aren't allowed to collectively bargain any more, all of the benefits in #4, some of which have more to do with morale that money, will be gone.
Then they should quit.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
More typical liberal rhetoric and hyperbole. What purpose do they serve TODAY, knowing that labor laws and workplace safety regulations are in place?
Those labor laws and safety regulations would disappear.Do you actually think a corporation would pass up ANY chance to cut costs?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You do realize that the economy circulates essentially around the middle class. Liberals love to point out about the "greedy CEOs" but honestly, how many of those are in existence? And you don't personally know that they are all corrupt. I won't say none are, but jeeze, it's getting annoying to hear that tired excuse of "Well, the CEOs are getting all this money and treating their workers unfairly by paying them minimum wage." Okay, not everybody and every job is worth more than minimum wage. The people who are worth more are indeed paid more.

If I can honestly point out flaws with each and every one of you pro-union people's arguments, do you really think unions stand a chance at lasting well into the future? If I can poke holes in all the excuses, so can everyone else. Union membership is dwindling, over 600,000 members were lost last year alone. Thank God, people are starting to see the light.

Bargain for your own benefits, the rights you scream about are given to you by federal and state law. Unions serve no purpose in modern times.
Find a flaw in this one........
I worked 37 years for a large railroad.In the track department. It is a very dangerous job.About a dozen of us are killed every year.In multiple main track areas,we use large maintainence gangs with loud machines,that work within 10 feet of another live track with freight trains running full speed at 60 MPH.This can be in curves or hills with limited vision.Our union approached our railroad citing the fatalities and asked them to make the trains slow down in work areas to limit the deaths and or injuries.The railroad refused.after two years of lobbying the FRA,the railroads were finally forced to slow these trains down.there by undoubtedly saving lives,giving the work crews sufficent time to get out of harms way.
IN fact most of the good my union has done is to force implementation of safer work rules.
You go right ahead and work there,see how much sway your singular voice would hold with that multi-billion dollar railroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies