Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Learn this at a republican caucus??
Nope. I don't subscribe to any political party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh bull!
More stooooooopid "the government doesn't have the right to tax incomes GARBAGE".

Ken
Why should you give a portion of what you earn, through the sweat of your brow, to someone who didn't earn it or work for it? There is no logical reason for it, but I'd bet you do it anyway.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why should you give a portion of what you earn, through the sweat of your brow, to someone who didn't earn it or work for it? There is no logical reason for it, but I'd bet you do it anyway.
Obviously you have never considered that you have any social responsibility to live in this country.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Find a flaw in this one........
I worked 37 years for a large railroad.In the track department. It is a very dangerous job.About a dozen of us are killed every year.In multiple main track areas,we use large maintainence gangs with loud machines,that work within 10 feet of another live track with freight trains running full speed at 60 MPH.This can be in curves or hills with limited vision.Our union approached our railroad citing the fatalities and asked them to make the trains slow down in work areas to limit the deaths and or injuries.The railroad refused.after two years of lobbying the FRA,the railroads were finally forced to slow these trains down.there by undoubtedly saving lives,giving the work crews sufficent time to get out of harms way.
IN fact most of the good my union has done is to force implementation of safer work rules.
You go right ahead and work there,see how much sway your singular voice would hold with that multi-billion dollar railroad.
As the widow of a 30 year UAW member, I fully understand the good they do, especially when it comes to workplace safety. But I get the feeling that those who oppose unions either don't believe the unions had anything to do with safety laws, or don't WANT to believe it. Because if they believed and understood it, that would completely negate their entire argument.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 03-01-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And do what? Work at the 7-11? Maybe they want to teach, but want a 30 min. lunch break away from the students, want compensation for work done after hours, etc. You guys are too quick with the simple solutions.
But, didn't you know? If they don't want 24 hr/7 day a week interaction with the students, they shouldn't be teachers? [/sarcasm]

Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Then don't quit.

Look. The state needs teachers. There won't be fewer teachers. There might even be more teachers. There might even be competition for a change. It's a pretty easy job if you ask me.
Easy job???? Clearly you've never been a teacher or even known anyone who is.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why should you give a portion of what you earn, through the sweat of your brow, to someone who didn't earn it or work for it?
Gee, I don't know - maybe ROADS, BRIDGES, POLICE PROTECTION, FIRE PROTECTION, PROTECTION FROM EXTERNAL INVASION, etc, etc, etc - unlike leaches like yourself who benefit from such things but try & weasle their way out of paying for them.

Talk about someone who didn't EARN IT.

Ken

Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Then don't quit.

Look. The state needs teachers. There won't be fewer teachers. There might even be more teachers. There might even be competition for a change. It's a pretty easy job if you ask me.
CLEARLY you've never been a teacher - or if you have you were obviously a pretty BAD one if you only put enough effort into it to keep it an "easy" job.

Ken

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I don't approve of unions.
Why? Because union members have a lot better pay and benefits than you do with your nonunionized job?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,116,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Private sector unions are bad enough, public sector unions should be outlawed.
I agree.

Sad part is, I think I voted wrongly on this topic and chose public sector only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies