Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Chevrolet came out with the new re-designed Camaro two years ago. I think that it is a very sharp looking car, along with the new Mustangs and the Dodge Challenger.

One of the male nurses at our surgery center the other day told me he was selling his 2010 Camaro, as he heard that GM is target marketing Camaros to gays. This guy is a former truck driver as well as a Marine, and does not want to be identified with driving a gay car. It is a great car with a V-8 and a six speed and seems to me to really harken to the old Camaros, which were coveted by rednecks, such as myself.

That being said, I like them, and would not give a damn what anyone else thought of my car. My 16 year old son needs a car this summer, as his brother is going to college, leaving him without a ride to school. I asked him if he would like one of the new Camaros and he said definately not, as it is a "gay" car.

Two things-

1. Who in the hell would think that a car was associated with sexuality?

2. If #1 is true, why hell would GM target market a minority group and alienate their main consumer demographic?

Old 02-26-2011, 03:40 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Buy it from him. If he's worried about he'll probably cut you a deal.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,643 times
You know it is pretty ridiculous but I have a similar story. Subaru has always been my vehicle of choice since I bought my first one in Vermont years ago.
I'm on my 3rd one now. A few years ago Subaru started target-marketing gays and the whole "rainbow coaliltion" etc. I was a bit surprised and have read several articles regarding Subaru "courting gays." lol.

It really doesn't bother me that much and it wouldn't stop me from buying such a great car but I wonder if these companies realize that they do turn off a signifacant group of buyers.

But you ask? Who in the hell would think that a car was associated with sexuality?

My answer is evidently the car company that selects a target market based soley on their sexual preference.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:47 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Chevrolet came out with the new re-designed Camaro two years ago. I think that it is a very sharp looking car, along with the new Mustangs and the Dodge Challenger.

One of the male nurses at our surgery center the other day told me he was selling his 2010 Camaro, as he heard that GM is target marketing Camaros to gays. This guy is a former truck driver as well as a Marine, and does not want to be identified with driving a gay car. It is a great car with a V-8 and a six speed and seems to me to really harken to the old Camaros, which were coveted by rednecks, such as myself.

That being said, I like them, and would not give a damn what anyone else thought of my car. My 16 year old son needs a car this summer, as his brother is going to college, leaving him without a ride to school. I asked him if he would like one of the new Camaros and he said definately not, as it is a "gay" car.

Two things-

1. Who in the hell would think that a car was associated with sexuality?

2. If #1 is true, why hell would GM target market a minority group and alienate their main consumer demographic?
I quit even looking at GM cars because I've heard they are the vehicles of blacks, and who wants to be associated with those people.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:49 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I quit even looking at GM cars because I've heard they are the vehicles of blacks, and who wants to be associated with those people.
Stormfront is that way>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 02-26-2011, 03:52 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I quit looking at Lexus because I've heard they are associated with snobby rich people and who wants to be associated with those people.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Stormfront is that way>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Wow, it didn't take very long. Less than two minutes though I didn't put a watch on it. So, how come you aren't critical of those folks who think being gay is somehow a negative? See, that was my point. Do you go after my post that has a negative black connotation or those that think gayness is surely a negative? Kind of small social study all to itself.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:54 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
GM YANKS ‘TASTELESS’ GAY YOUTUBE VIDEOS FOR CHEVY CAMARO
Breitbart.tv » The B-Cast: GM Yanks ‘Tasteless’ Gay YouTube Videos for Chevy Camaro (video)

General Motors' sexy gay videos to promote Chevrolet Camaro yanked - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

Old 02-26-2011, 03:55 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
Having grown up in Ohio in the 50's and 60's everything was about cars, particularly on Saturday night. I learned from my oldest brother that it's not the car, it's the man driving it.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
GM produced a video with two guys washing a car, and the ad was pulled after ONE day, as being tasteless, so very few people saw the ad, but the rumors have run rampant.. You know human nature, why bother with the truth when rumors are so much fun...!
GM is targeting every market who might buy a new car. The gay population is just one group they market to. People who think that makes the car gay are just victims of their inner homophobia..!
If that car is gay, I wanta join the group..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies