Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
at the rate things are going i say it could happen withing the next 10 to 20 years... what you think.??..
It won't take 10 years for the price of a loaf of bread to reach $10 or $20 and by the time it does, I think you'll see riots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 PM

93 posts, read 115,960 times
I think its worth pointing out (esp when it comes to decisions about supporting independence) that America was really quite divided way before independence. In certain respects the civil war could have happened at any time before it actually did, and perhaps would have done if massachussets and virginia had been geographically closer

- and in way already had done previously back in England itself in the 1640s (the north and south of the US civil war being the direct descendants of the roundheads and cavaliers in england. the divided nature of American culture has a far longer history than 1861 imo

Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
See this is the sticking point. I strongly lean fiscally conservative, however, I refuse to vote for Republicans as long as they toe the line of the religious nuts. Rand Paul and Ron Paul both claim to be on the Libertarian wing of the R party, yet I've heard both of them state that they are against abortion, particularly at the state level.

With them it seems Libertarianism only applies to the Fed Govt. How is that Libertarian? I much more fear an overbearing state govt that can quickly turn into a banana republic without the watchful eye of the Fed Govt insuring that said state does not infringe on the constitutional rights of the people residing there.
The state government is supposed to be smaller and more responsive to the residents of that state that the Federal government. It is up to the people of the state to decide how their state's government should be run. Besides, if you don't like that state you can always move to another state.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:59 PM

93 posts, read 115,960 times
Point being that differing groups of Americans at time of independence already had very differing ideas of what America should be

Old 03-01-2011, 02:10 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The state government is supposed to be smaller and more responsive to the residents of that state that the Federal government. It is up to the people of the state to decide how their state's government should be run. Besides, if you don't like that state you can always move to another state.
But many states are now larger than many countries. To think that state government doesn't present the same dilemma to its populace toady is naive at best. To make it worse, the idea of check and balance is virtually non-existent at state level. Why else do you think we have a governor here in Texas who has been running the state for over eleven years now?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
What's taking everyone so long? I've been rebelling since the day I was born!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But many states are now larger than many countries. To think that state government doesn't present the same dilemma to its populace toady is naive at best. To make it worse, the idea of check and balance is virtually non-existent at state level. Why else do you think we have a governor here in Texas who has been running the state for over eleven years now?
Obviously every state is different, but the check and balance system is in place at the state level. State governments have the three branches, which function similarly to our federal government. And, in fact, referendums and the like are much more common on the state level, and of course, on the local levels as well, which are initiated directly by the people.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Obviously every state is different, but the check and balance system is in place at the state level. State governments have the three branches, which function similarly to our federal government. And, in fact, referendums and the like are much more common on the state level, and of course, on the local levels as well, which are initiated directly by the people.
How exactly is the check and balance implemented at state levels? I don't see that in Texas. What I do see is relentless redistricting to gain and maintain political advantage, as in gerrymandering.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
at the rate things are going i say it could happen withing the next 10 to 20 years... what you think.??..
I think England solved this historically by establishing a penal colony they now call Australia. I think wild eyed anarchists & unmitigated avarice/ sociopaths needs their own like minded community in Afghanistan because the majority of America is sick to death of being held hostage by extremist retards shooting holes in the boat. They seem not to comprehend how to articulate themselves very well. How unfortunate. Off they go, boot to the butt. "Don't tread on me" from the middle.

Stiffle or abuse of free speech-- why are you folks ill? Tell me what's wrong, I'm listening. We all are. We just don't care to be abused by false accusations anymore than you care for that abuse of free speech. Politically correct isn't wrong in and of itself but when emotional manipulations are afoot, I stand beside anyone calling those manipulations out for what they are. All parties are guilty of that to some degree or another, but some are aware of it to exploit for personal gain.

Ex: I support blacks as citizens with equal rights but I absolutely DO NOT support Sharpton as are all involved with nation of islam. He's philosophically incompatible with America and selling racism as lifelong career. I can say equally that's true of social conservatives/ anti abortionist being prime culprits cultivating social ills they're convinced they're curing. They've missed the mark entirely. My resistance to them has everything to do with how they go about things betraying their cause as fraudulent and malevolent. They defend tumors in the hearts of men killing their families. I support and defend family values, if only they had a clue what those values were. Most unfortunately do not and they lean entirely on populist sentiments that are brady bunch false reality. That house was built on sand. Grounded in truth they are strong and enjoy my support. Hide reality with high gloss magazine/ powder and paint salesmanship, they lose my ear.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How exactly is the check and balance implemented at state levels? I don't see that in Texas. What I do see is relentless redistricting to gain and maintain political advantage, as in gerrymandering.
Checks and balance are implemented at state levels the same way they are implemented on federal levels. The redistricting can be, and often is, challenged in the courts, the courts serve as checks against the legislature. And as I stated earlier, referendums and recalls are used much more often on the state level than on the federal level. Governors' terms are not the same across the country. When Clinton was Governor of Arkansas, the term was only two years. That serves as a check. In many states, the Lieutenant Governor is elected independently of the Governor, and can often be of the opposing party. That serves as a check. In some states, judges are elected, and not for life, but for a set term. That serves as a check. As I said, it varies state to state, and some things in larger states are much more difficult to implement than in a smaller state, but really, when our country was founded, we had large states. Georgia, one of the original colonies, for instance was and is larger than England. The idea of a government that is essentially composed of republics, building one on top of another, so that the local governments are composed of elected representatives, then the state governments are composed of elected representatives, and then the federal government composed of elected representatives, is one of the more elegant compositions of our Founding Fathers.

And believe me, being a liberal in Arkansas, I'm well aware of how frustrating state governments can be, and how it can seem like the checks and balances aren't working. But I'm outnumbered in Arkansas, and I'm going to be outnumbered for a long, long time, probably for as long as I live. On some issues, I don't feel well-represented, but on others I do. That's the nature of our system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies