Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
These Brave men and women served honorably and faced the worst the enemies of our Country could throw at them.
They were the enemies of some other countries.

They should learn to respect others before they expect others to respect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
As it is now, a disabled veteran that's retired from the military cannot collect retired pay and disability benefits unless they're at least 50% disabled. An antique law considers it double dipping. Every year your politicians garner the vet votes with false promises of change for disabled vets.
Any opinions on this? Should the law, though very costly, be changed?
If the bar is 50%, why would you want it lower?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
I have no problem with them getting a pension.

I do however have a problem with certain groups of folks being allowed to collect their pension without tax penalties before the rest of us can.
If someone loses their hearing (artillery military in particular); they don't deserve their disability portion tax free.
You don't understand how it's done. The disability amount is not taxed, but it is subtracted from the total retirement pay.

It's basically a wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
Ok, then forget the word "pension". How about 401k's? Most folks don't even have pensions anymore. They either have a 401k, or nothing with their employer.

The government says I can't touch that without penalty until a certain age. So again, why is the same government giving out retirement benefits to able-bodied folks in their 30's? That is clearly unfair.
The retired servicemember cannot touch their TSP (401k) until they're of age; same rules apply.

If you find it unfair, why not join the military and get the same benefit?

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-25-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If someone loses their hearing (artillery military in particular); they don't deserve their disability portion tax free.
You don't understand how it's done. The disability amount is not taxed, but it is subtracted from the total retirement pay.

It's basically a wash.
In reality that may not be the case though. I believe that may exist in some form. I am not sure but it MAY depend on the disability rating.

I believe if you hit 50% that is not the case. This is what happened to me. I retired and got a certain amount of retirement pay. After I retired I got rated at 70%. I got a VA check for a certain amount and my retired pay still remained the same. I did submitted another claim for one more issue at the advice of the Veterans group that helped me put my claim. They asked me to keep the claim after the first claim was answered and later came up with 70% as I said.
After the second claim it was raised to 90% so my VA check went higher and my retirement pay STILL remained the same.

That is my story. I can't say I am expert in all the VA regulations, take care.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
In reality that may not be the case though. I believe that may exist in some form. I am not sure but it MAY depend on the disability rating.

I believe if you hit 50% that is not the case. This is what happened to me. I retired and got a certain amount of retirement pay. After I retired I got rated at 70%. I got a VA check for a certain amount and my retired pay still remained the same. I did submitted another claim for one more issue at the advice of the Veterans group that helped me put my claim. They asked me to keep the claim after the first claim was answered and later came up with 70% as I said.
After the second claim it was raised to 90% so my VA check went higher and my retirement pay STILL remained the same.

That is my story. I can't say I am expert in all the VA regulations, take care.
My boss is a 10% vet; I asked him today about his disability benefits; for his % that's the case. 10% would basically be a wash.
I work with some 50% vets, but didn't ask them.

From what you say, there may be different rules for the 50% and over disabled; I might look around a bit next week, but am traveling this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies