Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"Let the market regulate itself" is just a more sanctimonious way of saying, "Greed is good!"
I think we can credit profit motive to most, if not all, of the advancements in our society.

You sound like one of them thar "progressive types" who believes bureaucracies do it better.

Look to the differences between N. Korea (yours) and S. Korea(ours) for the differing ideologies at play
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"Let the market regulate itself" is just a more sanctimonious way of saying, "Greed is good!"
This is typical left wing ignorance. Letting the market regulate itself refers to the operation of supply and demand in controlling prices and availability of goods. There is not an ethical component to this market principle. So greed has nothing to do with it.

On the other hand greed has everything to do with unscrupulous business practices. And I don't know anyone who advocates allowing the unscrupulous to police their own conduct.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
This is typical left wing ignorance. Letting the market regulate itself refers to the operation of supply and demand in controlling prices and availability of goods. There is not an ethical component to this market principle. So greed has nothing to do with it.

On the other hand greed has everything to do with unscrupulous business practices. And I don't know anyone who advocates allowing the unscrupulous to police their own conduct.
Yes, letting the market regulate itself is exactly as you describe but most people regardless of ideology don't make the distinction between the market and the business. Whenever I hear "regulate" I think business before I think market. "Typical left wing ignorance" is uncalled for.

As far as the unscrupulous policing their own conduct, it was the Bush administration's stance that polluters regulate themselves, so that's one recent example.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
A classic example of the nanny thought process.....

Wouldn't it be wonderful if PARENTS took the time out to educate themselves on a subject and CONTROL their own family and stop trying to push their values on everyone else.
Yes it would be... but I don't expect tanning salons doing a good job at that.

Quote:
Sounds to me like you have a family problem if your children don't listen to you and obey your rules...
Why are your families internal problems societies problems?
Your ears are ringing. Get them checked. The question was... do you like the nanny "liquor" laws?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
"If you use a tanning booth once a month before the age of 35, your chance of getting melanoma increases by 75%. Not only that, melanoma is the second most common cancer in teens and young adults ages 15-29. It's no coincidence that the sharp increase in melanoma in recent years is tied to tanning. . . I was tanning nearly every day, unaware of the consequences. When I began working with the Foundation, I was shocked to learn about the incredible danger that tanning beds expose you to."

High School and College Students Pledge to Stay Out of Tanning Beds for Their Proms and During Spring Break - MarketWatch

Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndbase View Post
yeah, we all know how parents like to "parent". "Parents" do not protect their own kids. They is why we need gov. regulation. plain and simple
Right on!
After birthing, children should be given to the state.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndbase View Post
yeah, we all know how parents like to "parent". "Parents" do not protect their own kids. They is why we need gov. regulation. plain and simple
Having raised two into their 20s, I get very annoyed at crap like the above. Of course, parents want to protect their kids. Parents don't always seem to know what's right, either. Many adults, parents and otherwise, still think a tan looks "healthy". When something is obviously harmful, it should be regualted or banned.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Yes, I want more "nanny state" when it comes to businesses promoting dangerous products to children, just like the prohibition from selling them cigarettes.

-<snip>-
From YOUR article:

Quote:
The median age at which melanoma is diagnosed is 59. In the United States, 1% of melanomas occur in people under age 20, 8% in those aged 20 to 34, 14% in those age 35 to 44, 19% in those age 45 to 54, 19% in those age 55 to 64, 18% in those age 65 to 74, 16% in those age 75 to 84, and 5% in those age 85 or older, according to NCI statistics.

White Americans have a much higher risk of melanoma than those in other racial groups do.
So teenagers are a very small minority..... Old white people seem to be the most at risk.

I didn't see anywhere in that article you posted where they said tanning salons are at fault....

To really address your paranoia people should be banned from going outside during the daylight hours.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Having raised two into their 20s, I get very annoyed at crap like the above. Of course, parents want to protect their kids. Parents don't always seem to know what's right, either. Many adults, parents and otherwise, still think a tan looks "healthy". When something is obviously harmful, it should be regualted or banned.

So in your own words parents are a danger to their own children and laws should be passed to either regulate or ban them....

Hey, it's YOUR words not mine....

Old 02-28-2011, 09:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So in your own words parents are a danger to their own children and laws should be passed to either regulate or ban them....
I think it will help if you think this can be applied to liquor and smoking laws? How about drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies