Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Democrats got slaughtered in Congress in 2010, but do you feel things will be the same when the people enter the booth on 2012 based upon the snap shot of this very moment?
Not ONLY Congress, but also at the State level....governorships and state legislatures.

According to Gallop, Republicans are surging.

No one can predict the future of course, but at this time, it's true.

And when I say that, it is in response to the OP's suggestion that they are doing badly right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
If the Dems were "slaughtered" in 2010 they would have taken both houses of Congress and they didn't.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,337,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Yeah.....the GOP is really hurting!

Gallup just released a poll showing that Republicans have surged ahead in every State and that Republicans lead in total states.

And of course the 2010 Mid Term elections really showed how badly they are doing???
To heck with the polls...don't be so shortsighted. National elections went left in '08, right in '10, and it will wring again.

Conservatives were elected to focus on jobs and the economy. But their strict focus on an ultra-conservative social agenda (gays, guns, abortion, religion, etc.) will be their undoing.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Not ONLY Congress, but also at the State level....governorships and state legislatures.

According to Gallop, Republicans are surging.

No one can predict the future of course, but at this time, it's true.

And when I say that, it is in response to the OP's suggestion that they are doing badly right now.
Sure, I understand this, but keep in mind, the collective American mind has been suffering from schizophrenia for some time and if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on it.

I look at Obama for instance and note how many hard left folks are getting angry because in their minds he has given away the farm to Republicans and folded on way too many issues they believe he should have fought harder for.

I look at the Tea Party and again, I'm willing to bet many people who voted them in are going to discover that like Obama, many of the Tea Party folks are just green establishment Republicans cut from new cloth that hasn't been ironed yet.

At some point, or at least I hope at some point, the light bulb goes off over peoples skulls that this guy and that guy may say these things, but when it comes to putting the rubber to the road, its more same ole same ole and the pendulum no longer swings like a grandfather clock, but more like a quartz crystal in your watch, a million beats a second.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
If the Dems were "slaughtered" in 2010 they would have taken both houses of Congress and they didn't.

What was it....only something like the largest change-over in like 40 years???

Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
... has taken a sharp turn away from rational discourse in the past decade. I've voted Republican my entire adult life until recently. This turn towards lunacy will cost the GOP and the nation dearly if it continues for any length of time.

Do any of you see signs of reason returning?

I haven't.
I am not sure about that. What exactly has changed? I was too young to participate in politics in the 1980s, but having seen what it was about, I see a lot of carry-over today. In fact, I would dare say that not much has changed since the foundation of this country, and perhaps before it.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Radical conservative does NOT equal republican. That's why it's laughable that they call people like me Rinos--it needs to be the other way around. The last elections were about the economy--people voted in the tea party on a wave of anti-incumbent sentiment--a "throw the bums out" election, despite the fact that they never gave real details on just how they planned to fix things. The tea party had zero track record, so no one really knew what to expect from them. The problem comes in when that end of the party sees the election as a mandate for, quite frankly, radical ideology. That's not where the American people are politically--even a good chunk of republicans.

I think moderate R's in this country had their eyes opened by Walker and his complete unwillingness to compromise or listen to reason, and the ugliness of the national debate. I've been distancing myself from the party lately (my DH and I have been very active in R politics here in the past) but I think I'm going to throw myself back in the mix and work my hardest to get moderate R's nominated in the primaries here. I'm not the only R I know who has that plan. If a radical gets nominated, I'm going to campaign for the democrat in that seat in the general. It's the only way I know that republicans can work to take the party back, because I've had it with the new crop we've elected. Politics should be a rational debate, and our party can't govern effectively if we're not willing to BE rational.

As far as the Democrats--I'm a R and I'm disappointed that Obama hasn't moved to get us out of Afghanistan. The war is sucking us dry. We did our job and eliminated Al Qaeda there, but it's a joke if we think we're ever going to overthrow the Taliban--Russia tried too--and this has turned into another Vietnam that we can't win. I think there's plenty of criticism and blame that needs to go to both sides...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
... has taken a sharp turn away from rational discourse in the past decade. I've voted Republican my entire adult life until recently. This turn towards lunacy will cost the GOP and the nation dearly if it continues for any length of time.

Do any of you see signs of reason returning?

I haven't.
There are a few signs of rational thought. Christie, Rubio, a few others that are seemingly starting to show signs that the party has some logical thinking people still in it.

The 08 loss was severe, and it drove the moderates out of the party. Look at McCain, he had to get even more conservative to keep his seat in Arizona. This is the problem with the primary set up. Most states don't have independents vote in the primaries, or they don't turn out at all to vote.

I'm hoping that the country returns to civility. It seems to me that politics are returning to their happy medium. But I don't think its there yet, moving, but it could move faster.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
^No I think that was in 1994 with Clinton. President Obama fared better than Clinton did.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are a few signs of rational thought. Christie, Rubio, a few others that are seemingly starting to show signs that the party has some logical thinking people still in it.

The 08 loss was severe, and it drove the moderates out of the party. Look at McCain, he had to get even more conservative to keep his seat in Arizona. This is the problem with the primary set up. Most states don't have independents vote in the primaries, or they don't turn out at all to vote.

I'm hoping that the country returns to civility. It seems to me that politics are returning to their happy medium. But I don't think its there yet, moving, but it could move faster.
Independents can register as republicans if they want to participate in the R caucuses or primaries--doesn't mean they have to vote that way in the general if they're unhappy with the nomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies