Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I fit the profile here. The house next door is considered as Sect. 8 (low income) housing - and there have been a few families that have rented over there.

Same profile of families - older grandma is taking care of her kids and her kid's kids. The grandma is the only person with any common sense.

We try to be neighborly - but sometimes is just tough. Here are some incidents.
  • Mom started beating up on daughter outside, I broke it up and got into shouting match with the mom. Now I do nothing but call the cops.
  • Kid uses my son's bike. Takes it down the street. It comes back broken.
  • They don't pick up the trash in their yard.
  • They have dogs that roam the cul-de-sac and poop in our yard. I get a shovel and toss it into their yard.
  • Before their dogs knew us, there where nights my wife couldn't get out of the car and I had to chase the dogs away - and these are nice sized dogs. Of course, they wouldn't be home.
  • Constant use of the N- word.
  • On one occasion, eggs have been thrown over the fence at the side of the garage.
  • Oldest son has been in trouble - every once in a while, cops are at their house.
OK - I need to stop because I am getting on a roll here.
Alot of cases, where you live can have something to do with it. Some of the same stuff you mention, I have seen some of these behaviors from White people as well. My father, a middle-class African-American didn't want his family living around the trashy elements. There was a murder on the street our apartment complex was located. To say the least it was a sketchy area. He wanted to be a home owner and he didn't want to pay alot of money for it, and at the same time, he wanted a place that was quiet and safer. He finally got his wish after a year of searching. Oddly enough, things weren't much better. While there were no murders in the immediate vicinity, there were still some trashy elements around our area. The only difference was that it was a predominantly White area. Other than that,there were still some problems. Some of the things that happen to me(and my family) within 2 years.
-House gets egged
-I got shot by a teenager with a paintball gun(in broad daylight while coming off of the school bus).
-My backpack thrown up a pine tree(and this is Georgia, where pine trees are quite tall)
-Mailbox gets destroyed. Don't know to this day if someone took a bat to it or blew it up.
-Someone took a "For Sale" sign from another yard and put it on my front yard.
-Some kids play "doorbell ditch" on my doorbell in the middle of the night(basically running up to a doorbell, ringing the doorbell, and running off).
-Some kids threw rocks at me while I was at the neighborhood creek.
-I was riding down the street and a kid tried to mess with my handlebars while I was on the bike. The same kid tried to put me in a storm drain.

Oddly enough, none of these incidents were from my neighbors. Most of the time, it was a middle class White kid who wasn't on section 8.
I learned young that just because there isn't section 8 in your neighborhood doesn't mean that it will keep your life incident free. My father learned too. And he grew up in a neighborhood that was kind of rough.

And the dogs,well, I my parents subdivision, some people have used my parents front yard as a place to let their dogs defecate. This happened when some people were walking their dogs. One time I found a dog wandering around my yard. I am already freaked out by dogs so this scared me when it happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, white people generally don't talk with black people on that level to know that - but if they did, they'd know that blacks have always had class differences - even way back when. Some worked in the big house, some in the fields. Some picked up all the southern manners and mannerisms and had very similar attitudes as the whites they worked for. And most likely how one was chosen for particular jobs involved class status in the first place.
Of course. You're 100% correct. A lot of our class distinctions really do go back to slavery. Hell, MOST of what we do is a carry-over from behaviors that we picked up from whites. I don't know why that shocks people.

Your first sentence is absolutely correct and is the gist of a lot of what i've had to say about race on here. White folks don't know black folks...PERIOD! Yea, they may know some blacks on a certain level, but they don't really know us. If they did, you wouldn't get some of the comments and threads that turn up on C-D all the time.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Just because they are poorer doesn't mean they are trash: I've seen upper-middle class people of all colors who act like boorish trash.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Just because they are poorer doesn't mean they are trash: I've seen upper-middle class people of all colors who act like boorish trash.
Part of what I am saying. I lived around some middle class people who behaved boorishly. I was even victimized by some of them. My last post has some of the details of it.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Hmmmm classism--- shall we concoct more fiction creating artificial wars?

The difference between any 'class' is not necessarily money, but the standard of common decency they share and uphold together. That is community. You can be extremely poor and still experience high 'class' enjoyment. The difference being only the commitment to materialist extremes, or the unwillingness to spend money on nonsense. What do ghetto folks (any color/ creed/ gender etc) value? Are predators hero's in upper class and poverty class? Yes, they are, and both classes are pursuing sickness.

That said, kiss my lily white hinney R's. You're sick in the head worshiping golden calves at the expense of both legitimate religion and our very nation. How's that for evil doers off on fools errands. The evil was inside you all along.
Hate to burst your bubble folks, but race still plays a role in the lives of all blacks, no matter what 'class' they happen to be from. With regards to class 'segregation' among blacks, that's largely a myth. Here's a link to a book, that explains how middle class blacks, still keep ties to poor black neighborhoods:
Amazon.com: Black Picket Fences : Privilege and Peril Among the Black Middle Class (9780226649290): Mary Pattillo-McCoy: Books#_

This book explodes the myth, that the black middle class has fled to white neighborhoods, and abandoned poor blacks in the ghetto. It also talks about how the black middle class, still remains seperate and unequal, to the white middle class in America.

If you want further proof, that the black middle class is still worse off as a group, than the white middle class, here's a link to an article that explains the wealth-gap between affluent blacks, and affluent white:
Race and Money: Study Finds Wealth Gap Between Blacks and Whites Has Quadrupled - ABC News

Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Part of what I am saying. I lived around some middle class people who behaved boorishly. I was even victimized by some of them. My last post has some of the details of it.
I've been victimized byh middle class people too. Mostly on the job, and in housing situations.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
White flight started when blacks moved into neighborhoods where they had an equivalent income of families in the white neighborhood they moved into. There was only one reason the white families moved, and this was because they did not want to live near blacks.

Yes, but I'm guessing bc whites didn't really know black people, they assumed they were going to behave like the poor ones they heard bad stories about.

Trashy inappropriate behavior knows no color or socioeconomic status.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Oh boy can i attest to that. I used to deliver furniture for a little while, and upper middle class and rich people were by FAR the worse customers to deliver to. Almost to a man, they were boorish, mean, demanding, and stingy.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
For those who claim whites are racist for "white flight" - wanting to get away from poor people culture in the city by running away to the suburbs, what do you think of blacks doing the same?

Foreclosure Crisis: Class is Becoming a Growing Issue in Black Communities
"There is classism within the black community. The foreclosure crisis may be accelerating it." Cashin adds, "Middle-class blacks, like middle-class whites, are also put off by behavior of impoverished blacks who 'have developed their own culture, one that is very different from mainstream America.'"
Full MSNBC article here.
Hey renault. Point me to the section of the article saying "ghetto trash".

Did you decide to add ghetto trash???

Old 03-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This doesn't surprise me. In chosing where to live, people want to live with people "just like us." That usually means income level not skin color or sexual orientation. You are all vested in the neighborhood, condo building or apartment building being kept up and maintained at a certain level. You share the same tolerance of property crime, have the same economic values and have the same work ethic.
Many of the same sexual orientation, prefer to live amongst each other. That also goes for artists, and others of a bohemian persuasion. And those are just two examples. So I disagree, that the income levels of those in the neighborhood is the only determining factor, regarding where people decide to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies