Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,967,699 times

Advertisements

For those who claim whites are racist for "white flight" - wanting to get away from poor people culture in the city by running away to the suburbs, what do you think of blacks doing the same?

Foreclosure Crisis: Class is Becoming a Growing Issue in Black Communities
"There is classism within the black community. The foreclosure crisis may be accelerating it." Cashin adds, "Middle-class blacks, like middle-class whites, are also put off by behavior of impoverished blacks who 'have developed their own culture, one that is very different from mainstream America.'"
Full MSNBC article here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,011,339 times
Thats so surprising...

Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 AM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times
I'll go back and read the entire article but I wanted to say that of course it's about class no matter who does it. I'm white and I'm not going to move away if blacks move next door but if trashy, noisy, dirty slobs of any race move in, I'll think of leaving.

Same for black people, I would assume. No one wants to live near or associate with trashy people. One time I worked with mainly black people and one of them, a classy black man from the Caribbean, complained about the other blacks at work, who were (in his words) jivey (guess that's not a word) and then he demonstrated how they wiggled around and didn't sit up straight or act dignified. He said he just didn't get it, why did they act that way?

People will naturally separate themselves into classes, establish a pecking order. Whether we know it or not, I believe we all do it in some way.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,714,136 times
If blacks are ensuring restrictions on whites or other races, they would be as much an idiot as the whites were demanding and forcing segregation. But that doesn't appear to be the case, or is it?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,524,988 times
Blacks and whites are not different. Blacks want peace and prosperity too.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,687,810 times
I agree with the majority of the comments - it's a class not race issue. It doesn't matter if your neighbor is purple, as long as he/she values the neighborhood and respects the other neighbors.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If blacks are ensuring restrictions on whites or other races, they would be as much an idiot as the whites were demanding and forcing segregation. But that doesn't appear to be the case, or is it?
Sounds like a trick question.

If the segregationists wanted to be kept apart because all blacks were like the ones in the article then it would sound more like it was about class rather than race.

Since I don't know what southern blacks were like in those days, I can't say. If they were like this:

"increased trash, adults and children on the streets at all times of the night, a disregard for others' property."

then it could be argued that it was about class. No one would want to associate or have their kids associate with rude, inconsiderate people like that.

But I find it hard to believe that ALL southern blacks were like that in the days of segregation. I think most of it was just because they were black and nothing more.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,502,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
For those who claim whites are racist for "white flight" - wanting to get away from poor people culture in the city by running away to the suburbs, what do you think of blacks doing the same?

Foreclosure Crisis: Class is Becoming a Growing Issue in Black Communities
"There is classism within the black community. The foreclosure crisis may be accelerating it." Cashin adds, "Middle-class blacks, like middle-class whites, are also put off by behavior of impoverished blacks who 'have developed their own culture, one that is very different from mainstream America.'"
Full MSNBC article here.
White flight started when blacks moved into neighborhoods where they had an equivalent income of families in the white neighborhood they moved into. There was only one reason the white families moved, and this was because they did not want to live near blacks.

Blacks are the same as all other races whey they have money. When poorer people move into the neighborhood, Americans in general become concerned that their schools will decline and crime will increase.

That's a lot different than moving away because of the color of one's skin. You cannot reasonably say they are doing the same.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,373,681 times
Why does it always have to boil down to Race as ususal. I believe most good hard working law abiding people would like to live near a nice class of people. Trashy people can and is any race. I believe most people want to live next door to someone with values, and class and not trash!

Some people believe that when a certain CLASS of people move into the neighborhood, they bring their values along with them, thus, leaving a path, of trash in the neighborhood, and the values of the homes will soon be driven down.

I believe most people move out of a area, because of the class of people starting to or moving in.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,967,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
White flight started when blacks moved into neighborhoods where they had an equivalent income of families in the white neighborhood they moved into. There was only one reason the white families moved, and this was because they did not want to live near blacks.

Blacks are the same as all other races whey they have money. When poorer people move into the neighborhood, Americans in general become concerned that their schools will decline and crime will increase.
Good point. White flight of the 50s 60s was more race-based but today I think it's more likely to be classist in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies