Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 03:53 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
We mere mortals do not and are not supposed to know everything about God, life and the universe.

We will know once we are in the afterlife (those of us who make it there, that is).
there is no reasoning in arguing with such statments... They are rooted in illogical, irrational, and unfounded claims that are emotionally held as personal truth. You are welcome to them, but because you feel so strongly in that "truth" doesn't make it factual or existant.
Such talk is an intellectual dead end.... sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 AM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
One day you will.

I will pray that this anger in you subsides.
Yes, as the saying goes, "An eternity is a long time to be wrong."

Old 01-31-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
there is no reasoning in arguing with such statments... They are rooted in illogical, irrational, and unfounded claims that are emotionally held as personal truth. You are welcome to them, but because you feel so strongly in that "truth" doesn't make it factual or existant.
Such talk is an intellectual dead end.... sorry
On the contrary what I posted is very rational. Do you actually think we humans know everything there is to know? We probably don't even know 10%!

We don't know if life exists on other planets; does that mean life doesn't exist elsewhere because we are unaware of it?

Being a non-believer is the only dead-end I am aware of.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, as the saying goes, "An eternity is a long time to be wrong."
so you better be right..
I don't claim the "truth" is on my side.. YOU DO...

Old 01-31-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
On the contrary what I posted is very rational.

We don't know if life exists on other planets; does that mean life doesn't exist elsewhere because we are unaware of it?

Being a non-believer is the only dead-end I am aware of.
a dead end to the imagination? I could see that, but just because we don't know doesn't mean we don't think about possibilities..
YOU are in the position of saying YOU know atleast part of it all by believing in a creator...when there is no evidence to support a god creating it all.. atleast not yet. Stick to what you know and is factual.. not your imagination filled with emotion.. emotions get us in sticky positions sometimes. Sticking to facts is the essence of science.. if god exists.. science will find out..
To claim you know something without evidence is not logical or rational...I'm sorry

Old 01-31-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
a dead end to the imagination? I could see that, but just because we don't know doesn't mean we don't think about possibilities..
YOU are in the position of saying YOU know atleast part of it all by believing in a creator...when there is no evidence to support a god creating it all.. atleast not yet. Stick to what you know and is factual.. not your imagination filled with emotion.. emotions get us in sticky positions sometimes. Sticking to facts is the essence of science.. if god exists.. science will find out.
Imagination according to you.

Science can and has been wrong. I don't need science to "find out" that God exists. I have something you lack... faith.

You will know what I'm talking about eventually.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
so you better be right..
I don't claim the "truth" is on my side.. YOU DO...
When did I claim the truth is on my side?
Anyway, that is the advantage I have.
If I am wrong, no big deal. I will cease to exist as the non-believers think happens to everyone. But if I am right... well you can probably figure that out by yourself!

That is what the saying means ("An eternity is a long time to be wrong.")

Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Imagination according to you.

Science can and has been wrong. I don't need science to "find out" that God exists. I have something you lack... faith.

You will know what I'm talking about eventually.
faith is the hoping in what you believe is true.. faith doesn't make something true..
Science is not doctrine.. it's a process to find truth by means of evidence.. new evidence changes science...

Old 01-31-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
When did I claim the truth is on my side?
Anyway, that is the advantage I have.
If I am wrong, no big deal. I will cease to exist as the non-believers think happens to everyone. But if I am right... well you can probably figure that out by yourself!

That is what the saying means ("An eternity is a long time to be wrong.")
well, you could be right in that there is a god and an afterlife, but the truth was the mormons, and well you weren't a mormon, so you could go to hell for eternity just like anyone else..

Old 01-31-2011, 04:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I do not condemn gays and lesbians in the name of Jesus.

Never have, never will.
I will. Homosexuality is an abomination unto God. God said it, I believe it. He makes the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies