Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What "lifestyle", exactly, is killing them, in your opinion? Simply having a same-sex relationship doesn't kill anyone. You do realize that, I hope.
It doesn't make sense really, either.

The most publicized accounts of gay teens killing themselves are those still at home, tormented by parents, kicked out of the home and/or bullied by other kids at school. The teens haven't "experienced" whatever it is the gay "lifestyle" is supposed to be.

And, btw, most gay people I know live pretty much the same boring lives as straight people. Some even have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Hawkeye must not be as smart as s/he claims to be, since s/he completely ignored my rebuttal of his/her asinine last post towards me.... Nevermind the horrible arguments being made for his/her side of the issue.
Hawkeye and other conservatives don't answer because they can't answer.

I can't count the number of times I have asked the same or similar questions...and neither Hawkeye or other conservatives will answer. They skirt around the question and give answers that have noting to do with the original question.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Default A challenge to gay marriage opponents

There is no shortage of gay marriage threads on this board, but in all of them I see the same trend: those opposed to leaglized gay marriage are seemingly unable to state how gays being married affects their rights in any way.

So let's stop dodging the issue, and let's not make this a free for all debate on homosexuality in general. I am asking a very narrow question here:

IF you are opposed to the legalization of gay marriage, can you explain how two gays getting married affects your rights?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I am still waiting for answer, I gotta know!

How will my and my families lives be different, what will we "live through". Walk me through it, I wake up, a few homosexuals are married, now what? What happens to me my wife and kids?
Just started a thread on this.

I expect we'll get more of the same hand-waving and diversion.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The world population is 97% heterosexual which IS the population norm. The 3% that are homosexual are a deviation from the norm in every sense of the word, and NO, homosexuality is NOT normal in every sense of that word. The homosexual doesn’t like it because it makes him sound odd and different, well too bad because that is reality. Homosexuals are different. They will always stick out like a sore thumb because they are quite literally the intentionally differently acting “odd couple”. Whether folks like it or not the mainstream is the heterosexual 97%.

All the laws, activist judges and redefinitions are never going to change the fact that not everyone is or ever will be as thrilled and excited about homosexuality as homosexuals are and there’s nothing they or anybody can do about it and this infuriates the unhappy and frustrated homosexual radicals to no end.
Tell he how homosexuals" intentionally act differently"...?

Being such an expert on homosexuality I am sure that you are aware of the fact that there are countless homosexual men and women who don't "stick out like a sore thumb"...there are homosexuals in every occupation known to man.

Like it or not, the day is coming when gay marriage or its equivalent will be commonplace...and there will be nothing that you, or anybody can do about it. I know that this infuriates you, and the "unhappy and frustrated" heterosexuals to no end.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
I'm an Atheist, so I personally couldn't care less.

But why can't someone simply hold a point of view for whatever reasons they happen to have without it being boiled down to what rights are being affected?

In other words, a religious person may object to it purely on religious grounds. Or someone else may think that traditional marriage is already being eroded and doesn't want to see it totally mocked.

There is no REQUIREMENT that you can only object to something if it violates one of your rights.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I'm an Atheist, so I personally couldn't care less.

But why can't someone simply hold a point of view for whatever reasons they happen to have without it being boiled down to what rights are being affected?

In other words, a religious person may object to it purely on religious grounds. Or someone else may think that traditional marriage is already being eroded and doesn't want to see it totally mocked.

There is no REQUIREMENT that you can only object to something if it violates on of your rights.
So you have no answer.

Moving on. Anyone else?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
those opposed to leaglized gay marriage are seemingly unable to state how gays being married affects their rights in any way.
Marriage is between a man and a woman. Marriage is not a right, who said it was?

Same sex marriage would undermine traditional marriage, but it wouldn't stop there, would it?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
There is no shortage of gay marriage threads on this board, but in all of them I see the same trend: those opposed to leaglized gay marriage are seemingly unable to state how gays being married affects their rights in any way.

So let's stop dodging the issue, and let's not make this a free for all debate on homosexuality in general. I am asking a very narrow question here:

IF you are opposed to the legalization of gay marriage, can you explain how two gays getting married affects your rights?
How does a person marrying a tree affect YOUR rights?

Gay people can and do get married. The fact that they don't want to get married within the laws we currently have but want us to change them to allow a specialized form of marriage to include same-gender marriage is the issue. That changes the definition of marriage and is something that I would not support. I think it cheapens the view of marriage as a whole and weakens it as an institution.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Marriage is between a man and a woman. Marriage is not a right, who said it was?

Same sex marriage would undermine traditional marriage, but it wouldn't stop there, would it?
Off topic. Marriage is a fundamental right. Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)

Not a proper subject for this thread.

The question was simple. Answer it. I'm not interested in your slippery slope fallacies, just a simple answer to the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies