Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Gays and their supporters fear other orientations/preferences actually. I already answered it does nothing to me for them to get privileges and what not. I just say how they paved way for other preferences/orientations and you guys find that terrible. What happened to your happy slogans? So far all you say is "well, its illegal, ok? a 13 year old can't decide". Many things were illegal for gays and now look at them. So, root for adults and their teenage kid boyfriend/girlfriend or not? Hey! It's all about accepting others, right? Celebratind diversity and so on.

You keep saying "nice try nice try" when you are the one who brought religion before and then complained when I answered. Then brought biology, same thing.

Anyways, did you answer my question about the 50 year old guy/woman telling you about redefining laws, unions, etc. to legalize his union with his cute 13 year old girlfriend or her cute 13 year old boyfriend? Would you high-five them and support them like you support gays?
What the heck are you talking about? Where are you getting this idea that "gays and their supporters fear other orientations/preferences"??

Sexual orienatation is classified as heterosexual, homosexual or bi-sexual according to health professionals. Why would gay people be afraid of heterosexuals and bisexuals? Or.....are you trying to compare paraphilias with sexual orientation? Do us a favor and do a little honest research, because you aren't making sense.

What is this nonsense about 50 year old men and 13 year old girls? That sort of child abuse may still occur in conservative religious based states (afterall it's rather Biblical), but most states are moving away from child abuse.

Why would anyone celebrate child abuse?

And what on earth does child abuse by heterosexuals have to do with gay couples marrying?

You just sound sillier and sillier with every post.

Last edited by Ceist; 03-02-2011 at 02:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
Joel Osteen is a snake oil salesman. He is a greedy, cynical, selfish businessman. I am always surprised by how gullible and stupid so many people are, who keep getting duped by political and religious leaders.

Anyways, on Gay Marriage. Honestly, our country is going through A LOT more pressing issues than to worry about two guys tying the knot. How about the economic well being of our future, for a change? I think that's something that's far more important.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:46 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Gays and their supporters fear other orientations/preferences actually. I already answered it does nothing to me for them to get privileges and what not. I just say how they paved way for other preferences/orientations and you guys find that terrible. What happened to your happy slogans? So far all you say is "well, its illegal, ok? a 13 year old can't decide". Many things were illegal for gays and now look at them. So, root for adults and their teenage kid boyfriend/girlfriend or not? Hey! It's all about accepting others, right? Celebratind diversity and so on.

You keep saying "nice try nice try" when you are the one who brought religion before and then complained when I answered. Then brought biology, same thing.

Anyways, did you answer my question about the 50 year old guy/woman telling you about redefining laws, unions, etc. to legalize his union with his cute 13 year old girlfriend or her cute 13 year old boyfriend? Would you high-five them and support them like you support gays?
The idea that legalizing marriage between consenting adults who are gay could ever lead to "high-fiving" a statutory rape marriage is utterly ridiculous. When people have to resort to absurd slippery slope arguments like that, it just shows that they have no actual valid reasons for not allowing gay marriage. The fact that some people don't like it, or it's against their religious beliefs are not valid reasons in our free country where all people are supposed to have equal rights.

Last edited by detshen; 03-02-2011 at 03:52 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 05:41 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
...Anyways, did you answer my question about the 50 year old guy/woman telling you about redefining laws, unions, etc. to legalize his union with his cute 13 year old girlfriend or her cute 13 year old boyfriend? Would you high-five them and support them like you support gays?
No, I wouldn't. It has nothing to do with fear, repulsion or offense, though. I don't feel that 13 yr olds *are* capable of acting responsibly on their own behalf in ANY legal situation, marriage is only one of those situations.

You still haven't given any parallel between pedophilia and homosexual marriage, other than they are both currently illegal. Are you afraid that gay marriage will lead to legalized murder and theft as well? Why not?

Also, I find one thing very ironic about the Christians that love to say "but, it's a sin!". You all obviously interpret the Bible, rather than follow it literally - unless you've never eaten shellfish, worn blended cloth, worked on a Sunday or a host of other things - if those aren't really sins, why is homosexuality definitely one? I'm interested to hear the answers...

Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Also, I find one thing very ironic about the Christians that love to say "but, it's a sin!". You all obviously interpret the Bible, rather than follow it literally - unless you've never eaten shellfish, worn blended cloth, worked on a Sunday or a host of other things - if those aren't really sins, why is homosexuality definitely one? I'm interested to hear the answers...
Many people I come across who use the Bible to condemn homosexuals, haven't even read the whole Bible, let alone studied it and the cultures and languages in which the texts were originally written. Many know hardly anything about how and when their religion started. Many of these seem to Bible literalists who claim the Bible is the inerrant literal word of God ...yet they have barely read it. Go figure.

Their "interpretation" isn't their own. Most don't even think about the fact that modern English translations/interpretations are colored by the views of the organisations who commission them. Most just parrot "slogans" that they get from their preachers/ministers etc or from Apologist websites or anti-gay websites full of negative stereotyping, vilification and misinformation about gay people. The utter crap some people believe about homsoexuality and gay people is astonishing in this age of almost instant information.

When you have self-proclaimed Christians who believe things like Joan of Ark was Noah's wife ...what do you expect?

Joan of Arc, Wife of Noah? - Randall Balmer

“Americans are both deeply religious and profoundly ignorant about religion,”

Last edited by Ceist; 03-02-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Many people I come across who use the Bible to condemn homosexuals, haven't even read the whole Bible, let alone studied it and the cultures and languages in which the texts were originally written. Many know hardly anything about how and when their religion started. Many of these seem to Bible literalists who claim the Bible is the inerrant literal word of God ...yet they have barely read it. Go figure.

Their "interpretation" isn't their own. Most don't even think about the fact that modern English translations/interpretations are colored by the views of the organisations who commission them. Most just parrot "slogans" that they get from their preachers/ministers etc or from Apologist websites or anti-gay websites full of negative stereotyping, vilification and misinformation about gay people. The utter crap some people believe about homsoexuality and gay people is astonishing in this age of almost instant information.

When you have self-proclaimed Christians who believe things like Joan of Ark was Noah's wife ...what do you expect?

Joan of Arc, Wife of Noah? - Randall Balmer

“Americans are both deeply religious and profoundly ignorant about religion,â€
I love that quotes, sadly it is so accurate. Thanks for the link!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:09 PM

332 posts, read 532,582 times
All they want is to be able to get all benefits like other couples have.

About Joel though, its not a suprise it is supposed to be Christian. I do applaud, one denomination that are ok with gays. Forgot which one though.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey713 View Post
All they want is to be able to get all benefits like other couples have.

About Joel though, its not a suprise it is supposed to be Christian. I do applaud, one denomination that are ok with gays. Forgot which one though.
Some Episopalians.

Most Methodists don't give a damn either, although the official position of hte UMC is that it is a sin. With a bit of hand-waving they tolerate gays for the most part.

My Methodist church youth group leader was flaming gay...and died of AIDS later.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
I think we've gone off track.

How does ensuring everyone has the opportunity to be married, weaken the "institution" of marriage?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I think we've gone off track.

How does ensuring everyone has the opportunity to be married, weaken the "institution" of marriage?
It doesn't. You'd think that conservatives who value "family values" and stable relationships would be all over themselves encouraging gay and lesbian couples to solidfy their relationships with the commitment of marriage, especially all those couples raising children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies